By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: OG 3DS getting price drop to $139 in 2 weeks; Blue 3DS XL w/ Mario Kart 7 for $199 coming (UPDATE: May just be discount?)

Another pricecut? I don't know if the price is the problem, it feels more like there isn't enough western games for the 3DS.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Snovalo said:
3DS is selling great(better then the DS at the same time in the lifecycles -21 months-).

With a price cut, it will sell even better, possibly skyrocket. People need to stop propagating this myth that the gaming handheld market is declining.

Combine DS + PSP sales in 2006. Compare them to 3DS + Vita + DS + PSP sales in 2012. Let me know what you get, because I didn't do the math myself.

For added fun, compare software sales as well.

Lol you bring up the peak years?

why not bring up 2005 Psp + DS  not that big of difference if not lower.

if don't remember correctly around this saw time DS was doing good but not better 3ds currently and Psp was dead in America.

but it's not fair to put 2012 vita sales because its the only handheld to undersell its former system.

but yea your comparison was horrible because your faster forwarding DS to when it had about 2 years which means it had more games.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

It would be very silly to suggest that tablets/smartphones isn't having an impact on the handheld market, but I think 3DS has been holding up decently in spite of it.

ethomaz said:
After the bad BF week numbers... I guess this rumor is true.

not true but certainly more plausible.

ninetailschris said:

if don't remember correctly around this saw time DS was doing good but not better 3ds currently and Psp was dead in America.

but it's not fair to put 2012 vita sales because its the only handheld to undersell its former system.

but yea your comparison was horrible because your faster forwarding DS to when it had about 2 years which means it had more games.

Peak years? Hahahahahaha. DS was just getting started in 2006. Take a gander at '07-'10 if you don't believe me. But by all means, if you want to go back to '05, do so. Feel free to incorporate GBA sales into your comparison -- I think it sold about 8 mil hardware in '05. About three times what the DS will sell this year.

There's no perfect timing comparison, since 2005 represents months 3-15 for DS while 2012 represents months 12-23 for 3DS. The Lite came out in '06, the 3DS XL in '12. I think the comparison works for these purposes. Vita timing is more comparable to 2005. How about a compromise: PSP sales in 2005 + DS/GBA sales in 2006?

Around the Network

*current 3ds owner*

Localize games and runs some deals on them (b2g1 be nice).

System is priced fairly, it is games need some incentive to me. $40 is a lot for most games.

ninetailschris said:
the_dengle said:
Snovalo said:
3DS is selling great(better then the DS at the same time in the lifecycles -21 months-).

With a price cut, it will sell even better, possibly skyrocket. People need to stop propagating this myth that the gaming handheld market is declining.

Combine DS + PSP sales in 2006. Compare them to 3DS + Vita + DS + PSP sales in 2012. Let me know what you get, because I didn't do the math myself.

For added fun, compare software sales as well.

Try not to go into damage control just yet.  The 3DS floundering during the buiest time of the selling season should be your upmost concern.

Soriku said:

Also, yeah, after those BF numbers...a price cut seems like a good idea. That, and hurry up with the localizations. I mean how is a title like Animal Crossing not releasing this holiday?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the Wii U is taking up a lot of resources. And considering how Animal Crossing is a costly game to localize, it simply got put on the backburner. Plus, Nintendo has a bunch of deals with third parties to publish games like Layton 5 and Ninja Gaiden 3, which soaks up even more resources.

I hope Nintendo has a good holiday in America, if only so they can afford to localize things more quickly.

Love and tolerate.

Shiiiit... Vita just can't get a break lol

If I was Regiwata pulling the strings I'd save the cut until Vita gets a cut next year. You'd probably be able to get more off by then, or make more money on the system.

Train wreck said:

which retail stoes are vita and 3DS side by side? we can have a picture contest if you want unless you are spewing bullshit.

Vita is just above 3DS display at the gamestop by my place.