By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: OG 3DS getting price drop to $139 in 2 weeks; Blue 3DS XL w/ Mario Kart 7 for $199 coming (UPDATE: May just be discount?)

They just started making a profit off the 3DS and now they're going to drop the price again?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
Why would the vita need to respond when its not competing now? Maybe Iwata is coming to the realization that phones and tablets are effecting 3DS sales in NA.

This is a tough situation for Sony, because people who buy smart phones and tablets are NOT doing it for games.  People get them for other reasons, and games are part of the package.  Nothing Sony can do to counter this, unless they want to position the Vita as a multi-use device.

It would be interesting to see if the price drop would have major impact on Vita sales. The vita doesn't need anymore nails in its coffin.

richardhutnik said:
Train wreck said:
Why would the vita need to respond when its not competing now? Maybe Iwata is coming to the realization that phones and tablets are effecting 3DS sales in NA.

This is a tough situation for Sony, because people who buy smart phones and tablets are NOT doing it for games.  People get them for other reasons, and games are part of the package.  Nothing Sony can do to counter this, unless they want to position the Vita as a multi-use device.

I don't think that will work either. Part of the attraction of the PSP was that is was a multi-use device.For me at least, this was the big attration of getting a PSP, as I constantly fly around the country for work.

Now smart phones have come out and they offer those multi-use functions that the PSP did. So for those users who got a PSP so they could watch 720p videos, listen to music etc.. there is no need as their phone is more than capable of doing it.

Both Vita and 3DS sales will explode in the West when they are hacked. Not saying its right, but that's just the way it is.

Around the Network
Spazzy_D said:
Both Vita and 3DS sales will explode in the West when they are hacked. Not saying its right, but that's just the way it is.

Haha, so true.

NOt to mention the DS is eating into 3DS sales atm. NIntendo American and EUR need to kill the DS off now. Then they need to market the 3ds as a NEW handheld as some people still confused.

Soriku said:
Euphoria14 said:
I'm on the verge of getting one. If they drop the price again i'll just wait for next year, that way I get one for $99.

Eh, I got one used in good condition for $102 this summer on Ebay that came mostly complete (just missing the 6 AR cards...not that I care). I just checked Ebay/Amazon and it seems prices have risen (likely due to the holidays).

theRepublic said:
noname2200 said:
theRepublic said:
The original source removed the claim that this is an official price drop. They say it may just be from a single retailer.

Killjoy. I had this nice rant ready about how this would just be a band-aid, and that the lack of games in the West was a much bigger issue. Thanks.

Why didn't you just ignore my post?  Everyone else did.

I'll update the OP.

Spazzy_D said:

Has there actually been evidence of this happening?

It's mostly anecdotal with me but I have known many people that bought both a PSP and a DS only after finding out they have been hacked.... and I have personally been on the fence on whether or not I want a Vita for a while.  If it was hacked, I would buy it, not for downloading retail games (I'm a fan of supporting quality products with my money) but because it's a nice piece of tech and I'm sure the home brew community would do some really interesting stuff with it.  

It would be interesting to try to and match the sales trends of the original DS and PSP to when the systems where originally hacked.  Someone less lazy then me should get on that.

I think you guys worry too much. If it happens, 3DS pricedrop won't affect PSV sales.
Think about it. It can't go any lower, just like Sony's financial situation.

Cobretti2 said:
richardhutnik said:
Train wreck said:

I don't think that will work either. Part of the attraction of the PSP was that is was a multi-use device.For me at least, this was the big attration of getting a PSP, as I constantly fly around the country for work.

Now smart phones have come out and they offer those multi-use functions that the PSP did. So for those users who got a PSP so they could watch 720p videos, listen to music etc.. there is no need as their phone is more than capable of doing it.

Then there is a problem.  There is limited funds and the push for what is wanted is for a multiuse device to surf the internet, check email, take phone calls, etc... over a stand alone device for playing games.  As awesome as the specs are for the Vita, people appear more interested in less power, but greater closeness to what is needed.

I remember when I was seeking some device to do what I needed and games, and then posted on here asking about the 3DS and Vita, if they could do it.  But, they weren't able to store PDFs and surf the Internet apparently, so I went for a cheaper tablet route.

Cobretti2 said:
Spazzy_D said:

Haha, so true.

NOt to mention the DS is eating into 3DS sales atm. NIntendo American and EUR need to kill the DS off now. Then they need to market the 3ds as a NEW handheld as some people still confused.

Do then?  If the DS is serving a portion of the market, then you keep selling it.  Once the 3DS price gets low enough, you can discontinue the DS.  It is better to lose sales to yourself than a competitor.