By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: OG 3DS getting price drop to $139 in 2 weeks; Blue 3DS XL w/ Mario Kart 7 for $199 coming (UPDATE: May just be discount?)

Doesn't seem necessary at all. Especially when 3DS sales have been picking up nicely in the US all month and it just became profitable at $169 over the summer. I'd cut price in the Spring, maybe, after Christmas fervor dies down and demand relies solely on AAA software.

Around the Network
VicViper said:
Nintendo will be doing the right thing.

GBAs in 2002 were 69.99.
Portables should really scale back to being "commodities"

I agree wholeheartedly, but at that price the hardware would have to be pretty chintzy.  3DS is essentially the graphical equivalent of a GameCube.  I don't see how they'd ever be able to sell something with that kind of hardware below $100 within the forseeable future.  Not at a profit, anyway. 

zorg1000 said:
I just saw another thread saying DS outsold it this week, i think that could that be a reason for the price cut

Yeah, taking that news into consideration another 3DS price cut certainly seems possible. It's kind of funny that Nintendo has to fight tooth and nail against their own 8-year-old product.

After the bad BF week numbers... I guess this rumor is true.

3DS is selling great(better then the DS at the same time in the lifecycles -21 months-).

With a price cut, it will sell even better, possibly skyrocket. People need to stop propagating this myth that the gaming handheld market is declining.

Around the Network
Snovalo said:
3DS is selling great(better then the DS at the same time in the lifecycles -21 months-).

With a price cut, it will sell even better, possibly skyrocket. People need to stop propagating this myth that the gaming handheld market is declining.

Combine DS + PSP sales in 2006. Compare them to 3DS + Vita + DS + PSP sales in 2012. Let me know what you get, because I didn't do the math myself.

For added fun, compare software sales as well.

Train wreck said:
Why would the vita need to respond when its not competing now? Maybe Iwata is coming to the realization that phones and tablets are effecting 3DS sales in NA.

How its outselling the DS at this time of its life?

it could be *shock* they want to just move more units during the holiday.

why do people bring tablets to every 3ds thread like Nintendo is doing doom numbers or horrible.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

I guess that's one way to counter the lack of new, massive system sellers.

They are doing the right thing though. This should boost software sales by a lot, which in turn could/should make them more money in the end.

the_dengle said:
Snovalo said:

Combine DS + PSP sales in 2006. Compare them to 3DS + Vita + DS + PSP sales in 2012. Let me know what you get, because I didn't do the math myself.

On the week of Novermber 17, 2006, the total was about 670,000 units of hardware and 2.6 million of software.

On the week of November 18, 2012, the total was about 656,000 units of hardware and 3.1 million of software.

I fail to see a crisis.

Love and tolerate.

pezus said:
the_dengle said:
Snovalo said:

Why not add the Gameboy to the DS+PSP numbers? I believe it was even outselling PS3 for extended periods.

Because VGChartz doesn't have records of GBA sales anymore, and that would just be overkill anyway. There's no denying the handheld market has shrunk. Nintendo fans can turn a blind eye to it because the 3DS is pretty much matching the DS, but DS sales are shrinking faster than 3DS sales are growing (compare 2011 to 2012), the PSP is dying down, and the Vita is going nowhere. The remnants of Sony's handheld market have migrated to 3DS or mobile, especially in Japan.