By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Updated] Official Wii U sales thread! 400,000 Wii U

What do you think of this numbers?

Amazing 28 11.97%

Great 83 35.47%

Ok 95 40.60%

Bad 14 5.98%

Mediocre...Nintendo sucks!! 14 5.98%

Total:234

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...-400000-wii-u/

Quote:
Nintendo sold more than 1 million hardware units over the last week, the company has confirmed to CNET.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told CNET in a phone interview today that during the last week, its internal data has shown total U.S. hardware sales have reached more than 1.2 million units. That figure includes the Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and DS.

According to Fils-Aime, Nintendo sold over 700,000 consoles during the last week. The Wii U topped the Wii with 400,000 units sold. The Wii, which Nintendo launched all the way back in 2006, was able to muster 300,000 Wii sales during the last week.

"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately.

pezus said:
Barozi said:
I think people in here are a bit confused as what VGC counts as 1st week sales.

Unlike most games or consoles, the Wii U launched on a Sunday, but we end our global weeks on a Saturday (except Japan), so 1st week sales will be the full 7 days. Including launch day and Black Friday.

Therefore anything under 500k seems pretty wrong.

What about 400k?

Well I expected Gamestop to say the truth but it looks like they didn't.
Maybe that 400k is only Monday-Sunday ? No idea lol.

I'm surprised it did just 400k, and I'm also surprised that 400k was enough to make it almost sold out through the week. Deliberate shortages?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Barozi said:
pezus said:
Barozi said:
I think people in here are a bit confused as what VGC counts as 1st week sales.

Unlike most games or consoles, the Wii U launched on a Sunday, but we end our global weeks on a Saturday (except Japan), so 1st week sales will be the full 7 days. Including launch day and Black Friday.

Therefore anything under 500k seems pretty wrong.

What about 400k?

Well I expected Gamestop to say the truth but it looks like they didn't.
Maybe that 400k is only Monday-Sunday ? No idea lol.

Reggie said "during last week", so I guess that includes launch day till yesterday.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

So I was low with my prediction. That is surprising.

That seems surprisingly low. :-/

We'll see how it sells the next weeks.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Wow guys, not low at all!

In comparison, Wii sold 600k the first week of its launch.
And remember Wii launch? That was HYSTERIA.

xbox360 sold 325k in November of its launch, which gives it a little over a week.

We are fine here, folks. Now carry on.

blackstarr said:
Wow guys, not low at all!

In comparison, Wii sold 600k the first week of its launch.
And remember Wii launch? That was HYSTERIA.

xbox360 sold 325k in November of its launch, which gives it a little over a week.

We are fine here, folks. Now carry on.

Don't quote me on this but I believe the 600k for the Wii are America sales. 

This 400k for the Wii U are U.S only.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I thought that the original Wii sold about 460K in the US in the first week (600K in all of North America), and it was massively successful... so how is 400K for the Wii U in the US bad? Did people actually expect the Wii U to beat one of the most frenzied console launches ever? I think the fact that it's that close without the hysteria the Wii had is very encouraging.

Edit: Factor in that there's no Zelda to push sales like when the Wii launched and it looks even better.