By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Updated] Official Wii U sales thread! 400,000 Wii U

What do you think of this numbers?

Amazing 28 11.97%

Great 83 35.47%

Ok 95 40.60%

Bad 14 5.98%

Mediocre...Nintendo sucks!! 14 5.98%

Total:234
blackstarr said:
Cobretti2 said:
Hang on, so what happeend to that article where game said all their preorders are sold out?

The one that said 500,000 preorders and 1.2million bits of software sold?

Did they over estimate? did people cancel their orders? or are they yet to collect them? I Know in AUS they will keep your console for 48hours if you only make a deposit, so you have to collect it or you loose your money and console.

Yes... this one confuses me as well. Gamestop did claim to have sold out of its 500,000 preorders.... But surely there were other vendors? wuthappen

I think I may have found the answer here:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150502

looks like gamestop created a waiting list, so perhaps more than half their preorders were on that waiting list and they just quoted SOLD 500K.

Around the Network
blackstarr said:
Cobretti2 said:
Hang on, so what happeend to that article where game said all their preorders are sold out?

The one that said 500,000 preorders and 1.2million bits of software sold?

Did they over estimate? did people cancel their orders? or are they yet to collect them? I Know in AUS they will keep your console for 48hours if you only make a deposit, so you have to collect it or you loose your money and console

Yes... this one confuses me as well. Gamestop did claim to have sold out of its 500,000 preorders.... But surely there were other vendors? wuthappen

So what is the market share of GameStop during bf week? Surely not over 50%, so in effect they sold less than 200'000 WiiUs which is a far cry from "500'000 sold"

The Wii U numbers are not great but they aren't bad either ...

In one week the Wii U has sold (roughly) 50% of what the PS-Vita sold in 9 months and it is likely that Nintendo could have sold more units had they shipped more.

I'm a little disappointed but that is mostly self-inflicted ... Compared to my initial estimate of 475,000 based on 500,000 shipped these numbers are reasonable but I got far too optimistic based on a second shipment last week.

Now, with 6 weeks left in the year Nintendo has to average 27,214 per week to sell better than the XBox 360 in 2005, 44,673 per week to have sold better than the PS3 in 2006, or 112,555 per week to sell better than the Wii in 2006. All seem possible assuming Nintendo can ship enough hardware.

Slippy... Slappy.. Swimy? Swinson? Swanson? Oh here it is... Samsonite! I was WAY OFF.

But seriously.. Gamestop's waiting list number of 500k totally threw off my prediction, thanks a lot Gamestop! Guess they just haven't fulfilled many of their orders yet.. Or maybe the sales period only covered a day or two? Whatever.

Regardless, not bad considering Wii only had like 50k more during its launch. Anyway, unless you're the Vita or the Virtual Boy, at launch generally you are going to get a complete or near sell through from all the hardcore fans/early adopters, so these results aren't really telling either way. Won't really get a clear picture of how Wii U will ultimately fare until several months in, possibility even over a year.

Metallicube said:

Slippy... Slappy.. Swimy? Swinson? Swanson? Oh here it is... Samsonite! I was WAY OFF.

But seriously.. Gamestop's waiting list number of 500k totally threw off my prediction, thanks a lot Gamestop! Guess they just haven't fulfilled many of their orders yet.. Or maybe the sales period only covered a day or two? Whatever.

Regardless, not bad considering Wii only had like 50k more during its launch. Anyway, unless you're the Vita or the Virtual Boy, at launch generally you are going to get a complete or near sell through from all the hardcore fans/early adopters, so these results aren't really telling either way. Won't really get a clear picture of how Wii U will ultimately fare until several months in, possibility even over a year.

Exactly, this is what threw most people off. If they alone claimed to have 500K preorders, surely they would have MAXIMUM 50% of the total stock. So some of the high predictions made around the 800K mark were not bad guesses.

I still want to knwo how they come up with that figure lol. Because if 400K sold, how many did gamestop actually sell?

Around the Network

My Gamestop wasn't able to fill all pre-orders on launch day. I had $50 down, but didn't get my Wii U until the next shipment, on this past Saturday. Gamestop may be still filling it's pre-orders. I know there are a few posters on here saying Wii U is readily available, but it's not here. At every WallMart, Gamestop and anywhere else in my area it's completely sold out. I've seen a couple white U's in the wild last week, but they are all gone now. I suspect it will be tough to get one going forward as shipments are diverted to Europe and Japan for their respective launches.