By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Worlds of What If: A Series of Video Game Alternate Histories

Is this a good idea?

Yes 44 78.57%

No 4 7.14%

Maybe 5 8.93%

See Answer 1 1.79%

Total:54

This is outright awesome, for the record. Please continue exploring these scenarios. They're really interesting and you're clearly thinking them out really well.
I don't have the time to contribute quite at this moment, but before one of you comes up with it, I'm calling dibs on Pokemon not being released for the Gameboy in 1996. Although I'm not sure what exact difference I'm referring to, there are a lot more wide-ranging effects for this than you'd think. Especially with Nintendo's "never made a loss" reputation being singlehandedly supported by Pokemon during the sixth-ish generation and Nintendo's handheld stronghold being so severely weakened without it.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Immortal said:
This is outright awesome, for the record. Please continue exploring these scenarios. They're really interesting and you're clearly thinking them out really well.
I don't have the time to contribute quite at this moment, but before one of you comes up with it, I'm calling dibs on Pokemon not being released for the Gameboy in 1996. Although I'm not sure what exact difference I'm referring to, there are a lot more wide-ranging effects for this than you'd think. Especially with Nintendo's "never made a loss" reputation being singlehandedly supported by Pokemon during the sixth-ish generation and Nintendo's handheld stronghold being so severely weakened without it.

That is pretty Big What if Question, Pokemon in Hindsight is maybe the third best choice have nintendo made in his whole history(the first was jumping into videogame business, the second giving a job to Shigeru Miyamoto even when he admit he would not be sure that he will forever in his job, he need the job as financial security before becoming a mangaka....them he found videogames fun thanks to Space Invanders and the rest is history) but at the moment, that was big gamble and almost like a vanity project between Game Freak(they were making game to both SEGA and Sony Imagesoft, Later computer entretaiment), APE Inc/Creatures(who was using as way to push multimedia plans) and the same Shigeru Miyamoto(who was the main reason Yamauchi approved the project, even Miyamoto fund pokemon with part of his own salary), as a way to push the them ailing gameboy  and maybe becoming another second tier franchise as Fire Emblem or Mother nas his time, them thanks to the social nature of the game, and the secret pokemon(mew) who Satoshi hid in the game, the whole thing explode, and them with the anime approved and Creatures a charte blanque for multimedia rerelease... Pokemon is the second money maker behind only mario.

But at the same time, pokemon is pretty big, with several license for toys(Bandai, Takara-tommy, Hasbro), an Anime who have never stop(except for a incident) since 1998, anual movies, and along etc, but at the end not only paid itself, is almost like Nintendo secret weapon for handleds nowadays.

Without Pokemon, besides the Handled market will be more smaller(A lot smaller even in japan), that will affect how nintendo make handleds, The gameboy color was to be released in 1996 holidays season, but pokemon make that push almost two year thanks to the new demand of the old Gameboy and the game boy advance was delayed a year thanks to the same time(the legendary project Atlantis in the 90's), that will affect somehow his 'imitators'(Digimon was in plan, but pokemon make those to be pushed to ride into the wave and compete, Medabots was based into gundam derivate but pokemon free pubilicty was fine, and monster ranchers who was the direct clone) and the demographic of Handelds(i never want a gameboy before pokemon, heck even if like Mario and Zelda).

I'll tell you something, that is a true game changer what if(like if yamauchi never enter into videogames or  Nintendo and Sony manage to work together), you should add more ideas

I've been a naughty boy...

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Fumito_Ueda_%28Ohga_Shrugs%29

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
I've been a naughty boy...

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Fumito_Ueda_%28Ohga_Shrugs%29

'Reads the Article', an pretty naughty one indeed, again, Ueda who start his career with Saturn was to keep with SEGA, but the whole story was nice, so you used the original script who Itoi think for the Mother 3/EB64 back in the 90's : http://mother3.fobby.net/interview/m3int_07.html (the whole interview is pretty hindsightful), thus yes, as you mention in the timeline, Nintendo of America , under direct order of japan of not changing anything(maybe making the script easier to read, but keeping the whole story as Earthbound snes) would easily earn a M if Itoi was to launch his 'player punch'.

Again the destiny of Ueda was nice, even if a short rum, Nintendo always was fond of 'artistique games' even if something those at least paid itself(both Fire Emblem and Mother were so big sucess that keep both franchise running, plus the love of developver) but again something you must make money, Ueda run with Team Mother(alongside, they should take advantage and launch port/remakes of Mother 1 and 2 for the americas, those can have pretty good aceptaion even as budget title/side project).

Very nice article, here the mother fanbase would have love something like that, great work waiting for more.

I need world-builders! How would your favorite video game companies and people have developed without a PlayStation brand? I have some ideas, boring and radical, but my knowledge is limited. What do you think would have happened to Electronic Arts? Ubisoft? Tecmo?

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ohga_Shrugs

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

"Ohga Shrugs" now has 29 articles on the Alternate History wiki, ranging from stubs to major pages thousands of words long. Come and help us write a new history!

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ohga_Shrugs

Love and tolerate.

What if Sully died in Drake's Fortune?

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mysticwolf said:
What if Sully died in Drake's Fortune?

I don't know much about Uncharted. What would have happened?

Love and tolerate.

I get so happy every time I read these alternate console line-ups ^^

Anyway, if Sega's alternate consoles are profitable, then I really think they'd make a portable. Perhaps when 32X power is cheap enough to make portable to make it a leap over the Nomad.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
I get so happy every time I read these alternate console line-ups ^^

Anyway, if Sega's alternate consoles are profitable, then I really think they'd make a portable. Perhaps when 32X power is cheap enough to make portable to make it a leap over the Nomad.

When do you think Sega would try and make such a system? The late 90's or so? Other than 2D Sonic games, what would could they put on this portable system; Sega doesn't exactly have a killer lineup on OTL's handhelds. Perhaps Camelot would make games like Golden Sun for Sega's handhelds instead of Nintendo's?

Maybe you'd like to come other to the Alternate History wiki so we can discuss this in depth without cluttering up the Forum here?

Subtle

C'mon! We have cookies!

Love and tolerate.