By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 5 Reasons PC Gaming Is Better Than Consoles

raygun said:

The main problem with PC gaming, is the cost of the system. I just built a PC for the living room, hooked up to a 50" 3d plasma, because I wanted to play Guild Wars 2 in 3d. It ended up costing me $1100, $400 for the graphics card alone (nvidia670). I love it, it's incredibly fast, and I can play a few older games like Far Cry and Half Life 2 in 3d, and emulate a bunch of other old consoles, and can play 3d blu-rays. But look at the PS3 now, for a measly $200 you get a 3d blu-ray player and access to plenty of great games, and even includes a controller. And  that's the point of consoles, giving you as much power as possible as cheaply as possible. 

but isn't that PC just glorious though? XD

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
F0X said:

5 Reasons Why Console Gaming Is Perfectly Fine

1. I like to own games physically, as opposed to owning the license to play them if I've been a very good boy.

Except... you don;t.

You still only own a liscense

Kinda sorta. As consoles move towards a more connected, service-oriented setup, it has become increasingly less clear the extent in which people own their consoles, or games that involve online features. Though I think the situation is still superior to the PC, in which some games I just can't play at all without being connected to some sort of service I have no control over. Unless I crack the software, which I think might be acceptable as long as I don't try to give/sell cracked copies to another person (definitely illegal). Either way, I suppose gaming in general is becoming even more of hassle. I liked it better back when I could play games without thinking about things like DRM, forced online activities, and borderline illegal practices.

I just hope that international law finally catches up to the digital age at this point.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:

If we count games that you cannot emulate and games across the other consoles, there are definitely more Console-exclusive games worth playing than PC.  This is, however, rather subjective to begin with.  DOTA 2, LoL, and HoN aren't quite games I'm used to.  Maybe one day I'll start playing games like those, but right now I'm not into that genre very much.

The games I recognize from that list are Civilization, DOTA 2, LoL, HoN, and Torchlight 2.  

I know other games you'd surely list, I'm not completely oblivious to PC-exclusives.  I have a few myself.

Why wouldn't you count games that consoles can't emulate.

Hell, the mere fact that there are genres that consoles can't emulate is a HUGE negative for consoles. no?

You don't get to play God of War?  There are plenty of games like it on PC.

While if you don't game on PC, there are tons of things you'll never expierence.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I'm talking about console games PC's cannot emulate.  I know that there's always the "possibility" to emulate them, but not all of them are presently possible.  I am including those into the list of games consoles have that PC's don't.  

MDMAlliance said:
Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:

If we count games that you cannot emulate and games across the other consoles, there are definitely more Console-exclusive games worth playing than PC.  This is, however, rather subjective to begin with.  DOTA 2, LoL, and HoN aren't quite games I'm used to.  Maybe one day I'll start playing games like those, but right now I'm not into that genre very much.

The games I recognize from that list are Civilization, DOTA 2, LoL, HoN, and Torchlight 2.  

I know other games you'd surely list, I'm not completely oblivious to PC-exclusives.  I have a few myself.

Hell, the mere fact that there are genres that consoles can't emulate is a HUGE negative for consoles. no?

While if you don't game on PC, there are tons of things you'll never expierence.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I'm talking about console games PC's cannot emulate.  I know that there's always the "possibility" to emulate them, but not all of them are presently possible.  I am including those into the list of games consoles have that PC's don't.  

Oh, i see what your saying...

I mean... your wrong, but I see what your sayiing.

Though it seems kinda silly to count ALL consoles together, rather then whatever you would consider to be the single strongest console in that regard.

The rest of the point stands though.  I can think of only about 2 games on consoles that don't have PC equivlents, while there are whole genres that don't exist on consoles.  Let alone a specific one.

Reasons 3 and 4 are the main reasons i jumped into PC gaming. The freedom of gaming on the PC opens up so many opportunities. Just look at games like Minecraft or ARMA 2/ Day Z and you'll see what I mean. But after the initial cost of the PC itself, gaming is just superior there although it will never stop me from gaming on Playstation, due to the friends i've made there and all the exclusive games on there

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
cusman said:

I will tell you why PC gaming looses people to consoles

1) PC gaming is complicated. Every game may or may not work perfectly on your computer and you have to dink around with performance options to find settings where the game runs (if at all) properly on your machine.

2) PC gaming is designed for Keyboard + Mouse which are great for certain genre that evolved with such setup in mind, but terrible for many types of games designed with console controllers in mind. Easy example is fighting and action games. Sure you can get a controller... but this takes things back to point #1 which is PC gaming is complicated. Not all controllers work in all games. You might be using third party software like Xpadder to map keys, etc.

3) Local multiplayer support is nearly non-existent.

4) PC gaming is expensive. Sure the games are cheap due to Steam, but new games cost about the same and the hardware requirements to play Battlefield 3 on PC optimally are waaay higher than it costs to just play the game on X360 or PS3 for $60 + $250 for console. Just the mid-range graphic card for PC might be $200. The Display for PC can be used for console and vice versa so no cost disparity on display.

5) Console exclusive games don't come to PC at all (for instance from Nintendo or Sony) are are some of the best games created.

I am multi-console and don't ignore PC either... if my PC can play a decent game for it, I will. Rest of my gaming generally on consoles.

This....If it was cheaper, easier, and more consumer freindly, then most gamers would've been gaming more on PC including myself. Most gamers just don't have the time and especially money to fiddle with a maching that can output similair games in higher graphics and processing power. Technology wise its there but comercially in the financial sense, is not for the average consumer. I know my PC with it's i5 cpu probably can't render some games without some moddification. But it wouldn't hurt if I tried.

Well, I have both a PS3 and a PC to play games on but if I had to pick just one right now it'd be my PS3 because most of the games I like are only available on consoles or only on PS3.

This is my list of PS3 games:

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Nier, Bayonetta, Yakuza 3, Vanquish, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Resonance of Fate, Shadows of the Damned, Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition, Heavy Rain, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Yakuza 4, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Resident Evil 6.

How many of those games can I play if I switched to PC only right now? besides, there are some games that I want to buy and still haven't like Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Yakuza: Dead Souls, etc that also are only on consoles and I'm waiting for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Beyond: Two Souls, Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Yakuza 5 and I don't remember anything else, lol.

I'm more of a console gamer than a PC gamer mainly because of my taste in video games and the lack of availability of games that I like on PC.

If all those games, or the majority of them were on PC, I'd be a PC gamer :P I'd prefer playing all those games on PC, Playing Resident Evil 5 on PC "maxed out" in 1920x1080@60FPS with a PS3 Controller feels much better than playing it on PS3... I just wish the Gold Edition was available on PC though :S oh, and Devil May Cry 4 on PC is just glorious, I just don't need the PS3 version of that one because it doesn't have any extras... not even trophies.

Well, in short, I prefer consoles right now. But I'd most probably prefer PC if the games I like were available on it.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Jdevil3 said:

Well, I have both a PS3 and a PC to play games on but if I had to pick just one right now it'd be my PS3 because most of the games I like are only available on consoles or only on PS3.

This is my list of PS3 games:

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Nier, Bayonetta, Yakuza 3, Vanquish, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Resonance of Fate, Shadows of the Damned, Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition, Heavy Rain, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Yakuza 4, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Resident Evil 6.

How many of those games can I play if I switched to PC only right now? besides, there are some games that I want to buy and still haven't like Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Yakuza: Dead Souls, etc that also are only on consoles and I'm waiting for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Beyond: Two Souls, Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Yakuza 5 and I don't remember anything else, lol.

I'm more of a console gamer than a PC gamer mainly because of my taste in video games and the lack of availability of games that I like on PC.

If all those games, or the majority of them were on PC, I'd be a PC gamer :P I'd prefer playing all those games on PC, Playing Resident Evil 5 on PC "maxed out" in 1920x1080@60FPS with a PS3 Controller feels much better than playing it on PS3... I just wish the Gold Edition was available on PC though :S oh, and Devil May Cry 4 on PC is just glorious, I just don't need the PS3 version of that one because it doesn't have any extras... not even trophies.

Well, in short, I prefer consoles right now. But I'd most probably prefer PC if the games I like were available on it.

This is how I feel about it as well. I like PC for stuff like mods, but i could never leave PS3 because of it's games and the friends i made over there. I couldn't give up games like Yakuza or Metal gear solid or most PS3 exclusives for that matter

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:

Oh, i see what your saying...

I mean... your wrong, but I see what your sayiing.

Though it seems kinda silly to count ALL consoles together, rather then whatever you would consider to be the single strongest console in that regard.

The rest of the point stands though.  I can think of only about 2 games on consoles that don't have PC equivlents, while there are whole genres that don't exist on consoles.  Let alone a specific one.

But this works both ways depending on where you're looking for games.  

It's not really about having equivalents, too.  There are genres that PCs do better than consoles, but there are definitely genres that consoles do better than PCs. 

Also, I am not sure which genres you're referring to that do not exist.  MMORPG exists on consoles.  I am sure MOBA and RTS games both exist on consoles as well.  
I don't think I can be wrong on the main point I was making though.  That point comes down to my personal taste in games just being more readily available in console form (and is much more convenient and tends to play way better on consoles).  I doubt you really can say that I don't know what I'm talking about when I had taken a 5 year period time away from console gaming and went only PC.  I know a lot of what kind of games the PCs have, but I also know that there are a huge number of games the PC do not have of this generation and last generation, and some even from the generation before that due to anti-piracy stuff.  That, or some games are just not very well known (and some good games are).  

ninetailschris said:
Number 5 wow

PC pirates Ftw.

Stealing games and doing illegal actions since ever and justifiable because it makes me feel good.

Cause piracy is only avaible on PC right...