By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 5 Reasons PC Gaming Is Better Than Consoles

lol i just spent £1700 on building my own gamer pc, unlike pc's bought from places like pcworld (shop for people either not bothered to build their own or have no clue as what a gaming pc should be) i built it and changed the cpu twice then changed the motherboard and cpu to a better game related system.

building a gaming pc should cost no more than £1000 and thats pretty much top end (forget alienware your just paying for the name), there are plenty of guides to help novice system builders and modern pc's are so easy to build compared to systems from 10 years ago, if your on a budget AMD has a range of low cost CPU's called APU's which are a CPU with a GPU (graphic processing unit) on the same chip, its just a case of searching for the best system to meet your budget, a low cost system costing just £350 can run pretty much every game released on the PC so every gamer who wanted to try pc gaming can.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:

If we count games that you cannot emulate and games across the other consoles, there are definitely more Console-exclusive games worth playing than PC.  This is, however, rather subjective to begin with.  DOTA 2, LoL, and HoN aren't quite games I'm used to.  Maybe one day I'll start playing games like those, but right now I'm not into that genre very much.

The games I recognize from that list are Civilization, DOTA 2, LoL, HoN, and Torchlight 2.  

I know other games you'd surely list, I'm not completely oblivious to PC-exclusives.  I have a few myself.

Why wouldn't you count games that consoles can't emulate.

Hell, the mere fact that there are genres that consoles can't emulate is a HUGE negative for consoles. no?

You don't get to play God of War?  There are plenty of games like it on PC.

While if you don't game on PC, there are tons of things you'll never expierence.

There may be God of War clones on the PC, but they can't beat the God of War games in terms of epicness, quality, graphics and story.

Well, not counting obvious - the games I play on PC, which are like three for the whole year, namely Minecraft, Diablo 3 and Black Mesa (not that my console gaming was really more intense this year, it was 'meh' for the most part) - the biggest obstacle for PC gaming is time and effort between buying copy of a game and playing it. Installing, getting through dozens of logos, tweaking options, controls, getting rid of possible issues when the damn thing doesn't work properly and most of the time realizing that your 2 year old laptop just isn't enough for a game, which supposed to be not that demanding, to run smoothly - the older I get, the less time and money I want to invest into those, just don't care enough anymore.

Though it should be noted that if things go further like they are now, the thing I liked about consoles "stick cart in and play" might be part of a history (if not already), while PC gaming got better in that department over time. I remember playing Lunar Lander on Elektronika B3-34, playing Tetris on Elbrus-2 mainframe, playing Nether Earth and Star Heritage on self-build Spectrum clone, then Commodore 64 and eventually PC's 286 through 486. Oh boy, how much "fun" that was getting smth to load and wait, wait, wait. No wonder, kids liked NES back in the day.

As for the whole "looks better on PC" thing. Well, true that, but sometimes people comparing how it looks on console versus some abstract PC hardware which not necessarily resembles what most people have at homes. I remember when Doom was new and hot, and how people most of the time used to play it on 386 in a small windows to get acceptable framerates. And some time after I saw Doom on SNES on 14" screen at display at mall... it was comparable to they the least. Though given how cheap PC hardware nowadays, it might not be an issue today.

Bottomline, the older I get, the less I care about PC gaming.

//Didn't expect to write that much... pardon my rant :D

mai said:

I remember when Doom was new and hot, and how people most of the time used to play it on 386 in a small windows to get acceptable framerates. And some time after I saw Doom on SNES on 14" screen at display at mall... it was comparable to they the least. Though given how cheap PC hardware nowadays, it might not be an issue today.

Except... Today, you can get a copy of Doom, Apply some OpenGL patches and play it without all that pixelated mess at insane resolutions, but only on the PC.

The PC has a far larger games library than the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Vita, iPad/iPhone/iWhatever/Android combined thanks to the last several decades of games being released on the platform, some of the best games of all time are PC exclusive.

You want to play games on your couch with a controller hooked up to a 60" Plasma? No problem, you can do that on the PC too.
Or... Do you want to play on 3x 24-27" LCD monitors in eyefinity and enjoy a super wide aspect ratio which *really* draws you into a game that a console could never do? Yep. Only on the PC.

The only real excuses for not being a PC gamer these days is laziness/lack of time or not having the capability to google/watch youtube videos on how to build a PC and/or troubleshoot it...
Because lets face it, the processor alone in my PC is worth more than a Playstation 3 and several games, however not all "Gaming" PC's need to be that expensive, you can build a PC easily for a couple hundred bucks which will handle most games fine.
I'm just a gamer who won't settle for anything less than the best...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Same for me, the older I get the less I care about mods or better graphics. Consoles offer an easy and stable environment. The day is done, kids have gone to bed, press a button and unwind.

For some games you still need a pc but those are also the games pretty much not suited to couch gaming. I've played Tropico 4 on the couch, balancing a keyboard and mouse on my lap, squinting at the tiny letters trying to make out what it says, annoyed at text cut off at the edges lost in the over scan area.
That after tweaking graphics settings for half an hour to find a good balance between performance and looks. It was worse with the Witcher 2, that took 2 days to get to run without crashing on my system and in some areas it still slowed down to 5fps due to some kind of effects that were not supported well by my gpu.

It doesn't mean it can't work very well. I got Driver SF from a Steam sale. Worked great with the ps3 controller, flawless 1080p, fast loading, and no compatibility issues what so ever since it's a multiplat console game. The only problem, since I use the pc for other things too, it's always an extra step to move the pc over to the tv and wait for the latest windows updates to finish installing.

Around the Network

I've always enjoyed both PC and console gaming, I don't see any reason to fight over it.
On paper there are a lot of points in favour to PC gaming as well as some points in favour of console gaming. For example, consoles are more reliable, are more portable, user-friendly, ready to play, are cheaper in terms of hardware, better for local mutliplayer. PCs on the other hand are customized, have better graphics, have chaper games, better online, mods.
At the end I prefer consoles just because they have more games I like, PCs are better for first person shooters, strategy games, produtivity games and simulations. In any other genre I think consoles have just better or more games.

Pemalite said:

The PC has a far larger games library than the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Vita, iPad/iPhone/iWhatever/Android combined thanks to the last several decades of games being released on the platform, some of the best games of all time are PC exclusive.

You want to play games on your couch with a controller hooked up to a 60" Plasma? No problem, you can do that on the PC too.
Or... Do you want to play on 3x 24-27" LCD monitors in eyefinity and enjoy a super wide aspect ratio which *really* draws you into a game that a console could never do? Yep. Only on the PC.

The only real excuses for not being a PC gamer these days is laziness/lack of time or not having the capability to google/watch youtube videos on how to build a PC and/or troubleshoot it...
Because lets face it, the processor alone in my PC is worth more than a Playstation 3 and several games, however not all "Gaming" PC's need to be that expensive, you can build a PC easily for a couple hundred bucks which will handle most games fine.
I'm just a gamer who won't settle for anything less than the best...

That's basically it :D

No, I rarely play console games  on a TV, unless old buddy comes to my place (more like old piece of shit TV in a kitchen with Famiclone attached to it) or with kids, but that happens rarely. For the most part, if I play alone, I prefer handheld. In that regard actually Wii U somewhat fits me, I might buy it eventually.

I'm not doubting PC gaming, I'm old PC gamer myself. It just not fits my lifestyle very well, unless it's very casual one.

Number 5 wow

PC pirates Ftw.

Stealing games and doing illegal actions since ever and justifiable because it makes me feel good.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

riderz13371 said:
F0X said:

5 Reasons Why Console Gaming Is Perfectly Fine

1. I like to own games physically, as opposed to owning the license to play them if I've been a very good boy.

2. I hate having to fiddle with graphics setting. On consoles, you know what you're going to get. On PC, figuring out how to best run a game is comparatively complicated, especially if one doesn't want to spend much time or money finding a PC that does virtually everything.

3. Centralization. PC is like hundreds of mini-platforms built into one, and some good games simply aren't available through normal, highly reliable channels. Steam doesn't have everything... yet.

4. Less piracy. If there's one thing I hate, it's people who either don't want to pay to play, or are unwilling to play the game on the platform it was designed to be played on. To me, that's pretty shallow. I'll accept a few exceptions, but for the most part, I despise the rampant piracy on PC.

5. The community. Every PC community, even the nicest communities I've seen, strike me as dominated by people who don't deserve to be within a few miles of the nearest computer. Though to be fair, the Xbox community isn't much better. :P

1 Reason I Play PC Games Anyway

1. Mods.

You despise piracy but I'm willing to bet the songs on your ipod/music player are all pirated lol.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. I don't even own an iPod or any music player. Nor do I ever want one.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
riderz13371 said:
F0X said:

5 Reasons Why Console Gaming Is Perfectly Fine

1. I like to own games physically, as opposed to owning the license to play them if I've been a very good boy.

2. I hate having to fiddle with graphics setting. On consoles, you know what you're going to get. On PC, figuring out how to best run a game is comparatively complicated, especially if one doesn't want to spend much time or money finding a PC that does virtually everything.

3. Centralization. PC is like hundreds of mini-platforms built into one, and some good games simply aren't available through normal, highly reliable channels. Steam doesn't have everything... yet.

4. Less piracy. If there's one thing I hate, it's people who either don't want to pay to play, or are unwilling to play the game on the platform it was designed to be played on. To me, that's pretty shallow. I'll accept a few exceptions, but for the most part, I despise the rampant piracy on PC.

5. The community. Every PC community, even the nicest communities I've seen, strike me as dominated by people who don't deserve to be within a few miles of the nearest computer. Though to be fair, the Xbox community isn't much better. :P

1 Reason I Play PC Games Anyway

1. Mods.

You despise piracy but I'm willing to bet the songs on your ipod/music player are all pirated lol.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. I don't even own an iPod or any music player. Nor do I ever want one.

So you're telling me that you've never pirated something in your life? Downloaded music, watched tv shows online, watches movies online etc. If you REALLY haven't pirated before then I have to congratulate you. It's actually a big accomplishment nowadays because it's so easy to pirate.