By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 5 Reasons PC Gaming Is Better Than Consoles

Horrific stability problems are why i dislike PC gaming. I permanently slowed down an older computer just trying to install one game (forget what it was exactly), had to give up on PSO: Blue Burst because the game would crash at random and i would have to pull the plug on the computer to fix it, while KOTOR would crash at the drop of a hat in some areas, meaning i would have to save every thirty seconds or so.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:

Really dont mean to be negative. But this is basically the elephant in the room that no gamer really wants to talk about.

Console gaming is now considered more mainstream and mass market with the advent of Wii/Kinect, etc. PC gaming still has the following stigma that ultimately hinders what the medium offers.

I believe this image is a more accurate representation of what the public thinks: 

After all, in today's world Americans don't get to decide what's mainstream and what's not. The majority rules, and it's quite obvious what the majority uses to game on.

i love that picture lol the valve boss leading that master race eheh

Ah it's Gabe Newell... everytime i see that picture i think...  "Why is the guy in front so fat if he's part of the "master race.""

Now I know.

sales2099 said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:

Really dont mean to be negative. But this is basically the elephant in the room that no gamer really wants to talk about.

Console gaming is now considered more mainstream and mass market with the advent of Wii/Kinect, etc. PC gaming still has the following stigma that ultimately hinders what the medium offers.

Not my opinion, but a general consensus of what non-gamers think of PC gamers.

I believe this image is a more accurate representation of what the public thinks: 

After all, in today's world Americans don't get to decide what's mainstream and what's not. The majority rules, and it's quite obvious what the majority uses to game on.

Theres more PCs surely, but most gamers play on consoles.

Depends on your definition of gamer. If by gamer you mean an arbitary sub-genre of customers that play on "core" big budget games then sure.

If you actually mean all people who play video games, then the market on PC is much larger, especially with all the free-2-play titles that are all the rage in Asia.

If you were to look at the entire industry as a whole, console gaming is actually only a small slice of the pie.

While PC can drive me nuts, I love PC games.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

shaunboulton said:
As a PC gamer (since 03), who has a ps3 and ps vita on the side, i can honestly say the main advantage of pc gaming is the ability to move forward. The consoles stagnate somewhat and offer little excitement.

Dont get me wrong, my ps3 (since 08), is a good piece of kit and at the time i bought it, i was hooked but it fizzled out as the games visuals and variety stagnated into the same pretty much.

The reason i have the ps3 and ps vita even though im a 'pc gamer' is they are they to offer what the pc cant, which is exclusives which the ps3 does a good job with and almost console like graphics on the move which is where the ps vita comes in.

But yes, i hear, you still think its not worht the price tag, you might be right, BUT, it cost more but thats because you get alot more in return, which is pc quality, graphics and better multiplayer. Company of heroes, battlefield 3, formula 1 2012, half life, css, warhammer dawn of war, planetside 2, wow, star wars tor, hell even the cod series etc etc all superior on the pc. Personally its not very common to see a poor console port to pc.

When i really think about why i dont play console really anymore its because...it has no depth to it, just generic setup same as everyone else which is outdated, and the whole console multiplayer is for the most part a let down because of the lack of people per online game which is boring when you can have double or triple that on its pc counterpart.

You are wrong, games like COD and Battlefield, have much bigger playerbase on Xbox 360 than PC. I cant say for certain, that this also holds true for PS3 as i have never played those games online on my PS3, but i would be suprised if this wasn't true for PS3 as well. Of course if we are talking about games like Diablo 3, Stacraft 2 or League of Legends, they have much more players than any console game, even COD. But the games that exist for both consoles and PC usually have more players on Xbox Live, even FPS like COD. The only reason i prefer playing these games on consoles, is because there are no cheaters on console, even if there is more players on Xbox Live, i would still prefer PC if it wasn't for the fact, that people cheat.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Kasz216 said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

PCs have the latest graphics games but it comes at a huge cost. Annual upgrades are needed in order to play the latest PC games on the highest graphic setting. Consoles have to make do with the same specifications for an entire generation around 7 years. A PC gamer will have to make annual upgrades mainly graphic cards and possibly a second PC rig within the same 7 year time period. With unlimited funds PC gaming is much better than console gaming. 

Or you could just not upgrade your PC, and just be content with graphics that are still way better then consoles, but just not maximized.

I have the latest graphics card from NVIDIA right now. I won't need to upgrade it next year (although I might).  

Point is, that part isn't true at all. Not sure how he concluded that.

What would you need a 690 for? The cost alone means it not worth it, you should of just got a 670 or 680, they are more than powerful enough for a couple of years and far cheaper. I have a 550 Ti for now and that's good enough for all games on high settings for now

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

CGI-Quality said:
the2real4mafol said:
CGI-Quality said:
Kasz216 said:

Or you could just not upgrade your PC, and just be content with graphics that are still way better then consoles, but just not maximized.

I have the latest graphics card from NVIDIA right now. I won't need to upgrade it next year (although I might).  

Point is, that part isn't true at all. Not sure how he concluded that.

What would you need a 690 for? The cost alone means it not worth it, you should of just got a 670 or 680, they are more than powerful enough for a couple of years and far cheaper. I have a 550 Ti for now and that's good enough for all games on high settings for now

You should have had this discussion with me before I bought it. Little late now >.<

It's not always about a need.

It doesn't matter that much if you have the money for it, but i personally don't see how the top graphics card at any time is worth buying at all. They are so over priced! 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:

Theres more PCs surely, but most gamers play on consoles.

You have the entirety of Asia against you. So, nope.

I was talking western society, but fair enough.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

This is what always puts me off pc gaming:

It's cyber Monday, lets see if I can get a good deal on a gpu upgrade. Turns out most cards still need more then a 350 watt power supply, ok I can replace that. Crap I also need two PCI-E slots next to each other or it won't fit. I'm not going to replace the motherboard, forget it.

So lets check out the Geforce 640, 1 slot, 350 watt, looks perfect. Or not:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/nvidia-geforce-gt-640-review-roundup/
Bad performance compared to the HD 7750, barely maintaining 30fps at 1080p. The 7750 doesn't fit in my system, and I can already get 1080p30 with my current 3 year old card.

Goes back to play AC3 on ps3.

SvennoJ said:
This is what always puts me off pc gaming:

It's cyber Monday, lets see if I can get a good deal on a gpu upgrade. Turns out most cards still need more then a 350 watt power supply, ok I can replace that. Crap I also need two PCI-E slots next to each other or it won't fit. I'm not going to replace the motherboard, forget it.

So lets check out the Geforce 640, 1 slot, 350 watt, looks perfect. Or not:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/nvidia-geforce-gt-640-review-roundup/
Bad performance compared to the HD 7750, barely maintaining 30fps at 1080p. The 7750 doesn't fit in my system, and I can already get 1080p30 with my current 3 year old card.

Goes back to play AC3 on ps3.

its not just about getting a psu over 350 watt's, most GPU's require around 500 watts as a safe point but also make sure there are enough amps on the 12 volt rail to fully support the card (you dont want your system to go pop).

you would be far better off building your own system and give your self plenty of space with a bigger case for future upgrades, its pointless going to a pc store buying an acer HP packard bell ect and expecting to be able to install new graphics cards, these systems simply wont offer that option plus for the price you pay for a complete mass manufactured pc you could easily get a more powerful self build pc.

my current system cost around £1000 and can run games like dirt 3 on ultra settings 1080p @ 153fps, crysis 2 ultra settings 1080p @ 60+ fps, dirt showdown ultra settings 1080p @ 120+ fps.

this is why i prefer PC gaming to console gaming, playing games that i can play at over 60+ fps on my pc and then play them on the consoles at a locked 30 fps it makes the games almost unplayable, untill there is a 360 or ps3 emulator ill have to play the games i cant emulate on those consoles.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.