By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THQ clarifies Wii U "horrible, slow" CPU claims, but concern remains

Damage control

Drunk moderateor, away!

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Teriol said:

se7en7thre3 said:
It sickens me that these devs choose to trash talk on the obvious, but won't be completely honest. For example, the Wii U's cpu may be slower clocked, but we know it's modern, that utilizes OOE (out of order execution) compared to the slower in order execution of the HD twins. These devs know this, but what they don't want to reveal is that they have to re-work, or adjust their code to the Wii U architecture. That's because it takes time and money, and these devs are just LAZY. They want the old design, where you get by on unoptimized, pure grunt power. The Wii U is just a different designed machine, with a GPU that does CPU tasks, has far more eDRAM, etc.

Once devs understand the hardware and build titles based on U's design, its going to smoke PS360. All these current Wii U ports are lazy, un-optimized games that still are on par/better despite the differences/"weaknesses" w/hd twins.

Teriol said:
that's rigth, OOE is one of the many "new" features that are "new" to the industry, that is the reason rigth now the WiiU is not an easy porting console but when ps4 and xbox 720 comes you are going to see what can be do with new OOE cpu's and the real power of the wiiU, my pc is a"monster" lol but the games looks just a little better that the ones on ps360, when  developers start to use the new architecture of cpu's we are going to see a jump in graphics.

This sounds like the Gospel, and the most sense I've heard on the matter. 

As I commented elsewhere, CPU speed almost means nothing, because the PS3 had a faster CPU than the 360, but because of the 360's overall better architecture, it performed just as well and in some cases (Skyrim) outperformed the PS3. Taking that into account, maybe the Wii U also has a superior architecture, albeit slower CPU, than the PS3. I am sure when we get a decent 3rd party (not THQ) to max out the Wii U, that game would not run properly on the PS3 or 360!

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

isn't this a little ironic as they were praising the Wii U when showing off Darksiders II

Definitely damage control, I don't think it really matters though.

Anyway, isn't it true that the GPU on the Wii U is much higher than on the other systems? Its main problem seems to be lack of CPU power, but we can't really be sure of that until we have some tech guy who understand the architecture. The same thing happened for the PS3 where it was panned for low CPU, and well look where that turned out once people figured it out.

Either way, most of the power of the Wii U goes into it's ability to signal two images to the TV and controller, so that in it of itself is an accomplishment and takes a large amount of power in the first place. It has low latency with the controller, which is good.

Teriol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
ninetailschris said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
ninetailschris said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

This doesn't disprove anything that I've said.

In fact, I have no idea why you started this discussion to begin with. We agree on everything...

yeah i read all that and you two agree in everything lol.

What? We aren't allowed to disagree to agree now?

Around the Network
SirPainsalot said:

Definitely damage control, I don't think it really matters though.

Anyway, isn't it true that the GPU on the Wii U is much higher than on the other systems? Its main problem seems to be lack of CPU power, but we can't really be sure of that until we have some tech guy who understand the architecture. The same thing happened for the PS3 where it was panned for low CPU, and well look where that turned out once people figured it out.

Either way, most of the power of the Wii U goes into it's ability to signal two images to the TV and controller, so that in it of itself is an accomplishment and takes a large amount of power in the first place. It has low latency with the controller, which is good.

Makes sense to me. I don't see Nintendo purposely going out making the Wii U less powerful OVERALL that the PS360.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

SirPainsalot said:

Anyway, isn't it true that the GPU on the Wii U is much higher than on the other systems?

If those rumours/speculations turn out to be true, not that much stonger - actually, in pixel and texel throughouput it is only slightly (if any) stonger, but in GFLOPS performance it should pull somewhere around 2x as 360 or slightly more (not sure for PS3, I'd say around 1.5x when Cell is put in equation). So all that extra GFLOPS can be used for stuff that is running on CPUs in PS360 (like physics), plus you can offload audio from CPU to dedicated DSP in WiiU. Multiplat developers will just need to adapt to new way of thinking, but it is trully shame that Ninty hasn't gone few extra miles (and few extra $) and made console that is clearly stronger from the get go.

Check shokio's OP out folks ... 

He has some good points in regard of the GPGPU inside the wii u ..

I think that the ii u is much more powerful than we all think it is .. Devs need to use the GPGPU and the eDRAM...

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lySMeyjCd8

okr said:
And still other teams managed to port/co-develop Assassin's Creed III, CoD Blops 2, Batman AC, Darksiders II and Mass Effect 3. And why shouldn't they, the Wii U is currently the strongest console available for developers.

I read Metro games are so demanding that even the two and a half years old Metro 2033 wouldn't run properly on high settings on my fairly new laptop which could run Skyrim and Battlefield 3 on same settings. Metro games are considered the most demanding PC games around, see e.g. http://steamcommunity.com/app/43110/discussions/0/864948012463071789/?l=german#p1

So, is it really a Wii U problem or are the Metro developers just incapable or unwilling to code their PC games properly which leads to major problems when they want (or are forced) to port them to consoles?

did you read the article posted at all? they asnwer those questons for you. They can't do it as they have a small team (80 people) and chose the ps3 as their new console to release on and trying to release on another new console (wii u) would be too hard to right with the poeple they have and all versions would suffer. seems reasonable to me.

hivycox said:

Check shokio's OP out folks ... 

He has some good points in regard of the GPGPU inside the wii u ..

I think that the ii u is much more powerful than we all think it is .. Devs need to use the GPGPU and the eDRAM...

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lySMeyjCd8

I  knew it all along just that people still overlook it. I dont bother with much of the idiots on this site I just let them wonder around clueless. lol
* Excellent video though. It's common sense and a repeated cycle. Two thumbs up.