By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THQ clarifies Wii U "horrible, slow" CPU claims, but concern remains

hivycox said:

Check shokio's OP out folks ... 

He has some good points in regard of the GPGPU inside the wii u ..

I think that the ii u is much more powerful than we all think it is .. Devs need to use the GPGPU and the eDRAM...

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lySMeyjCd8

That dude made a lot sense - thanks for the link.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Around the Network
hivycox said:

I think that the ii u is much more powerful than we all think it is .. Devs need to use the GPGPU and the eDRAM...

Here's the vid:

He makes some good points about calling WiiU prematurelly weaker than PS360, but he obviously has no knowledge of how hardware actually works. The "GeePeeGeePee U" can off-load some things from CPU, but can't replace CPU.

HoloDust said:
hivycox said:

Here's the vid:

He makes some good points about calling WiiU prematurelly weaker than PS360, but he obviously has no knowledge of how hardware actually works. The "GeePeeGeePee U" can off-load some things from CPU, but can't replace CPU.

You are correct, but I like where this is going regardless because devs have been slacking on OpenCL or GPGPU programming even though Nvidia Cuda and AMD Stream(now AMD App Accelration) have been out a long time. This will hopefully change the way they do the coding and move things forward on the gaming front at least on the physics front since CPUs are not the most efficient method of calculating physics to start with.

hivycox said:

Here's the vid:

So just first-party games will show the Wii U... even so it is weak for the nextgen.

ethomaz said:
hivycox said:

Here's the vid:

So just first-party games will show the Wii U... even so it is weak for the nextgen.

no, you apparently don't understand nothing at all...

34 years playing games.

Around the Network
Teriol said:
ethomaz said:
hivycox said:

Here's the vid:

I understand the guy in the video knows nothing about GPGPU .

Anyway the Wii U is weak for the next gen... that's the truth... and just some developers (eg. first-party) will show some progress with it but nothing near to what we expect to come in the next gen.

Today to developer in Wii U you have to challenge bottlenecks...

1) Slow memory = use the eDRAM instead
2) Slow CPU = use the GPGPU instead

Do you know how difficult is to change the use of the main memory to use more the eDRAM and show better results??? Or do you know how harder is to use GPGPU and less than 30% of what CPU does is possible on GPGPU???

Sorry but I can't see the miracle eDRAM / GPGPU happening.

ethomaz said:
Teriol said:
ethomaz said:
hivycox said:

Here's the vid:

I understand the guy in the video knows nothing about GPGPU .

Anyway the Wii U is weak for the next gen... that's the truth... and just some developers (eg. first-party) will show some progress with it but nothing near to what we expect to come in the next gen.

Today to developer in Wii U you have to challenge bottlenecks...

1) Slow memory = use the eDRAM instead
2) Slow CPU = use the GPGPU instead

Do you know how difficult is to change the use of the main memory to use more the eDRAM and show better results??? Or do you know how harder is to use GPGPU and less than 30% of what CPU does is possible on GPGPU???

Sorry but I can't see the miracle eDRAM / GPGPU happening.

did you know than an OOE cpu can gain a 60% performance vs an IOE cpu? (like the cpu's on ps360 that cpu's are IOE), did you know that the gpgpu can work better for somethings that always developers take to the cpu? and that is why i think you dont understand everything yet.

34 years playing games.

Teriol said:

did you know than an OOE cpu can gain a 60% performance vs an IOE cpu? (like the cpu's on ps360 that cpu's are IOE), did you know that the gpgpu can work better for somethings that always developers take to the cpu? and that is why i think you dont understand everything yet.

No because in this two points your are wrong.

1. The CPU is slow... even if you gain 60% with OOE the CPU is still slow... and you forget a point games don't use OOE... it's more for OS use.

2. There are a lot of articles about GPGPU and GPGPU just do paralel things better... even the Folding@Home needs the CPU to do somethings because the GPGPU can't do everything or most things the GPGPU is slower than CPU... even the Physics is GPGPU is not better than in CPU... anyway if you don't have a strong CPU to help the GPGPU (because GPGPU can't to everything) then everything is thrown out.

And now my point of view...

Games will not use GPGPU in Wii U... sorry but even way stronger GPU have problems to handle graphics and GPGPU at the same time... so because that the better options is have a GPU for graphcis and another GPU for GPGPU (nVIDIA and AMD do that)... the Wii GPU is not TOP level like GTX 680.

All that talk about GPGPU is an attempt to hide the obvious.

The only thing that can really help the Wii U is the eDRAM but it's unknown yet.

ethomaz said:

Teriol said:

No because in this two points your are wrong.

1. The CPU is slow... even if you gain 60% with OOE the CPU is still slow... and you forget a point games don't use OOE... it's more for OS use.

2. There are a lot of articles about GPGPU and GPGPU just do paralel things better... even the Folding@Home needs the CPU to do somethings because the GPGPU can't do everything or most things the GPGPU is slower than CPU... even the Physics is GPGPU is not better than in CPU... anyway if you don't have a strong CPU to help the GPGPU (because GPGPU can't to everything) then everything is thrown out.

And now my point of view...

Games will not use GPGPU in Wii U... sorry but even way stronger GPU have problems to handle graphics and GPGPU at the same time... so because that the better options is have a GPU for graphcis and another GPU for GPGPU (nVIDIA and AMD do that)... the Wii GPU is not TOP level like GTX 680.

All that talk about GPGPU is an attempt to hide the obvious.

The only thing that can really help the Wii U is the eDRAM but it's unknown yet.

the OOE is not only for OS use, it is feature like  The speed it can be used in anything the problem is that this feature is "new" in this industry because till now all the video game consoles where IOE and that is the real problem  with the developers, all their engines are based on raw speed so for them this thing (OOE) are a new feature, that´s why i think the proccesor on wiiu is more powerfull it just is not based on raw speed.

34 years playing games.

Teriol said:

the OOE is not only for OS use, it is feature like  The speed it can be used in anything the problem is that this feature is "new" in this industry because till now all the video game consoles where IOE and that is the real problem  with the developers, all their engines are based on raw speed so for them this thing (OOE) are a new feature, that´s why i think the proccesor on wiiu is more powerfull it just is not based on raw speed.

New? All PCs uses OOE in games... so amost all multiplat engine have support.

List the parts in a game programing that have benefit from OOE??? I can just list one: AI... Eg. Physics code have no benefit from OOE.

OOE will do nothing for games... it's more because the OS part in Wii U like the 1GB destined to handle all the features comming with the Pad.