By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THQ clarifies Wii U "horrible, slow" CPU claims, but concern remains

HoloDust said:
SirPainsalot said:

Anyway, isn't it true that the GPU on the Wii U is much higher than on the other systems?

If those rumours/speculations turn out to be true, not that much stonger - actually, in pixel and texel throughouput it is only slightly (if any) stonger, but in GFLOPS performance it should pull somewhere around 2x as 360 or slightly more (not sure for PS3, I'd say around 1.5x when Cell is put in equation). So all that extra GFLOPS can be used for stuff that is running on CPUs in PS360 (like physics), plus you can offload audio from CPU to dedicated DSP in WiiU. Multiplat developers will just need to adapt to new way of thinking, but it is trully shame that Ninty hasn't gone few extra miles (and few extra $) and made console that is clearly stronger from the get go.

What are you talking about?  Many developers have come out and said that the Wii-U GPU is far ahead of the GPU in the 360/PS3 

Around the Network
errorpwns said:
HoloDust said:
SirPainsalot said:

Anyway, isn't it true that the GPU on the Wii U is much higher than on the other systems?

If those rumours/speculations turn out to be true, not that much stonger - actually, in pixel and texel throughouput it is only slightly (if any) stonger, but in GFLOPS performance it should pull somewhere around 2x as 360 or slightly more (not sure for PS3, I'd say around 1.5x when Cell is put in equation). So all that extra GFLOPS can be used for stuff that is running on CPUs in PS360 (like physics), plus you can offload audio from CPU to dedicated DSP in WiiU. Multiplat developers will just need to adapt to new way of thinking, but it is trully shame that Ninty hasn't gone few extra miles (and few extra $) and made console that is clearly stronger from the get go.

What are you talking about?  Many developers have come out and said that the Wii-U GPU is far ahead of the GPU in the 360/PS3 

In shader performance (and possible GFLOPS you can squeeze out of it) most certainly - considering TDP and fab, I'd guess around 2.5x of 360 in best case scenario. As for pixel fillrate, that's probably around 20-30% higher at best. Texture fillrate is bit trickier to estimate, it could be everywhere from slightly above 360 (and lower than PS3), slightly higher than PS3 (and some 80% higher than 360), or if AMD made custom RV730@40nm for them, even 150% and 50% higher than 360 and PS3 (respectively).

With that said, WiiU GPU is stronger, but not THAT stronger (as in 7770 vs PS360 is for example) - goal of my post is to point that it is not a miracle solution for weaker CPU, and while it will help a lot, it cannot magicly solve all the problems devs might encounter when porting to WiiU. Hence my conclusion that it is shame Ninty haven't spent few extra bucks on somewhat stronger CPU to make 3rd party devs life easier, and prevent all this negative publicity.

so the WiiU has a weaker CPU but it has manages sound and CPU stuff in other places forcing devs to ACTUALLY WORK.......evil Nintendo is evil
they did on purpose to troll western devs
Nintendo
"here you have our console were you can port your games to, but you will have to work a lil bit to do so"
devs answer
"No, damn you!!! we arent being paid to work! we will have our revenge!"

DieAppleDie said:
so the WiiU has a weaker CPU but it has manages sound and CPU stuff in other places forcing devs to ACTUALLY WORK.......evil Nintendo is evil
they did on purpose to troll western devs
Nintendo
"here you have our console were you can port your games to, but you will have to work a lil bit to do so"
devs answer
"No, damn you!!! we arent being paid to work! we will have our revenge!"

damn you nintendo damn you!!!  now  we have to think!! damn you!!!! your cpu is  slower and horible!!! damn you nintendo!!!! we dont want to use OOE i hate you!!! nintendo i haaaatee you!!!!!(insert anakin vs obi wan scene here)

34 years playing games.