By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - next-gen.biz: 08 will see the last month ever of 360 outselling Playstation

Dallinor said:
"So enjoy the illusion while you can Sony. I believe it's coming to an end possibly as soon as GDC.

-Posted by Bill"

I see Bill Gates has left a comment. =D

No it was Bill Cosby, he's in cahoots with Oprah!!

Around the Network

Well, he is a little overhyping Blue Ray, but one thing is true I think:

I changing from a burden for the PS3 to an Asset. And I think Blue Ray only won so fast over HD-DVD because of the PS3, so the tactic of Sony worked so far....

Well I agree with the concept but not the reasons.

PS3 will outsell 360 because of 360 decreasing in sales and PS3 will have mega hitting exclusives and a lower price.

Who wouldn't want a $299 Hi-Def Game player with amazing games?

But it won't outsell the Wii because it has a different market that is growing every second.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

The person at next-gen.biz fails to realize one thing - the consumer. Sure, they will want to adopt cutting edge technology, but not at the costs right now. And with HD DVD fading, competition was what was driving down Blu Ray prices, not the kindness of big companies.

I also LOLed at the Wii statements. He can't be serious about Wii games selling under 500K too. Wow ... maybe it's too early in the A.M., but having BS for breakfast sucks ...

I think his article is interesting, but really it's the price. Customers are going with the cheaper consoles, and Ninny and MS are touting that to devs. The devs want loot and will focus their efforts on the Wii and 360. Forget exclusive content - devs are looking at the work involved and attach rates. Until enough people buy a PS3 for games and not Blu Ray, the PS3 will only chisel away at the 360 lead.

How the PS3 will stage a rally to whip the 360 and Wii is beyond me ...

Nice, PS3 FTW! =)

Though, maybe in 2007 were the last months, when x360 was outselling ps3. =))

I am only doubting about unstable market in usa, $ can die, credits can go crazy, and people will stop buying games, tvs, consoles.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Interesting article. Re Nintendo I think he was more implying its a given now its going to do well (although he did mess about about the SW sales) and focusing on PS3/360. To be honest I tend to make the assuption - for me right now its the final 360 and PS3 performance that's still up in the air, the Wii seems assured barring something left field.

As for the rest, I think it does apply well outside US and I do expect PS3 to really move up on (and ahead of) 360 in a lot of territories outside of US (although I think UK and OZ will be tough competes).

Everyone I know 35+ (I'm 40 + BTW ) in UK is getting an HD TV and every one of them is now going to get a PS3 to play DVDs, upscale DVDs and maybe try out a couple of BR disks.

Most will also get a 360 but it will be in their teenage sons room (true!). Some are making the poor kids save up and buy the 360 becuase they understand they fail a lot and refuse to buy them unless their kids at least contribute.

In US I don't know the market well enough to say how fast BR will make a difference. The real key is how fast any attempt is made to force a transition - i.e. pull DVD players and leave BR as only option (note this does not mean pull DVD format, but move people onto BR player that also plays DVDs). This will happen at some point I'm sure - in much the same way SD TVs are being pulled out and you have to buy an HD TV (particularly for the big name brands).

As for dual players - I can only imagine they will die quickly once HD DVD is officially dead - there simply won't be enough of a market for them to be anything other than niche if the studios do drop HD DVD entirely I would think.

Right now though I think PS3 can only really outperform 360 in Japan and 'Others' while slowly growing a base in US.

If it does start to really close gap in US I would expect the reason would be 360 hitting a glass ceiling of hardore users and losing momentum itself rather than anything Sony do. Not sure what the anticipated base for 360 is in US - I would imagine its shrinking as recent sales seem to indicate Wii is going to eat up the casual market in US way ahead of MS, leaving a smaller hardcore market for their console.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

dtewi said:

PS3 will outsell 360 because of 360 decreasing in sales and PS3 will have mega hitting exclusives and a lower price.

But it won't outsell the Wii because it has a different market that is growing every second.

Personally, I seriously doubt we'll see a $299 PS3 this year--they'd have cut the price in half since launch which, while good for consumers, would seem to show slight desperation (even though they have a nice footing now).  That said, Sony has surprised us before, so...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
dtewi said:

Personally, I seriously doubt we'll see a $299 PS3 this year--they'd have cut the price in half since launch which, while good for consumers, would seem to show slight desperation (even though they have a nice footing now).  That said, Sony has surprised us before, so...

Desperation has nothing to do with it. If it cut price to half the competitors, sure thatd be an issue. It is cutting price to come in line with competitors, and with game line-up combined it allows more consoles into households to sell more games.

PS3 will see a price drop this year.

As far as future proof, I think they are talking about being a movie player. As far as gaming goes, however, the PS3 has a long while before developers outgrow its capabilites. Maybe not "future-proof", but I'd say a good 10 years before its maxing out all capabilities.

PS3 will become a BluRay player, but not a gaming machine for a lot of people. That would translates to bad games attach rate like what PSP suffers now.

This guy is off his rocker. If the PS3 succeeds, it will because of the games, not Blu-ray.

I seriously doubt that Blu-ray adoption rates will skyrocket until the end of the PS3s life, if they do at all. After all, HDTV adoption is still around 25% (higher now after the holidays, surely) and Blu-ray without HDTV is pointless. It also doesn't help that such a large portion of HD owners don't understand the tech at all and watch their stuff in SD.

The PS3 has gained Blu-ray a foothold and until the PS3 drops to the $200 level, Blu-ray won't have a significant impact on the machine. And by that time, standalone players will almost surely cost less than a PS3.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/