By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - next-gen.biz: 08 will see the last month ever of 360 outselling Playstation

EDITOR'S VIEW: The PlayStation 3 Rebirth

Consumers are replacing their TV sets with high-def flat-screens. They will also replace their DVD players with Blu-ray players. They will seek the machine that is noted for its quality; the one that is future-proof; the one with the trust-worthy brand name; the one that, wow, also plays games. They will invest in PlayStation.

So is it all over for Xbox 360? No, the sales numbers are still in that platform’s favor. But sales numbers change quickly. I’m going to predict that, at some point in 2008, Xbox 360 will enjoy its last ever month outselling PlayStation 3. It will be Blu-ray, not Metal Gear Solid, that makes this happen.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8734&Itemid=2

I agree with a lot of it though i do not agree with the bolded.

I've got a HDTV but I simply don't care that much about hi-def movies unless it's cheap and I know I can get all the movies I want on that format. Right now DVDs are still holding my interest, unless i see a Blu-ray the same price as a DVD i am not interested in the slightest. I will be getting a playstation, for the most part to play games, i doubt the average consumer will pick it up to upgrade thier DVD player to Blu-Ray, and when they want to do that, are there not cheaper Blu-Ray players on the Market anyway?

Wot do you guys think

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

I stopped listening after he used the words "future-proof" to describe an old machine that has ling been outstripped by high end pc's.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

For those curious, the editor here makes virtually no reference to the Wii except for a few scant sentences at the beginning (saying, "I'll deal with the Wii later") and then again at the end, where he basically admits -- with almost tangible reluctance -- that the Wii may sell more hardware than the PS3, but it's bad for the industry because yadda yadda.

In summation, the PS3 will beat out the 360 because it's a Blu Ray player. The Wii doesn't count, because it's bad for the industry. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Yeah where he says people will replace their DVD's for Blu-ray is where he lost me, also they are replacing them with Hi def capable flatscreens, but aren't using the hi-def part.

2008 will be the last time Wii is below 50% marketshare

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@ Bod
Yeh i noticed that too, but its seems to be the rage right now so i just ignored that. I think the PS3 will benefit a little by Blu-ay victory but i doubt it will be a lot, if anything , i think Blu-Ray will benefit a lot more from the PS3 than Vice Versa.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

Hah. I happen to have read up on this earlier today, and the editor has made several rather... interesting edits since then.

It previously said this about the Wii:

"But this isn’t a big win for the game industry as a whole, because attach rates are so poor for Wii and Nintendo takes such a huge percentage of the software."

Then, someone in the comments section pointed out that the NPD data showed Wii software outselling 360 software for December. Now it reads:

"But this isn’t a big win for the game industry as a whole, because Nintendo takes such a huge percentage of the software market. "

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

Hah. I happen to have read this earlier today, and the editor has made several rather... interesting edits since then. 

It previously said this about the Wii:

"But this isn’t a big win for the game industry as a whole, because attach rates are so poor for Wii and Nintendo takes such a huge percentage of the software."

Then, omeone in the comments section pointed out that the NPD data  showed Wii software outselling 360 software for December. Now it reads:

"But this isn’t a big win for the game industry as a whole, because Nintendo takes such a huge percentage of the software market. "

LOL

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

lol,

at least he has corrected himself

Time to Work !

BornFirst. said:

EDITOR'S VIEW: The PlayStation 3 Rebirth

Consumers are replacing their TV sets with high-def flat-screens. They will also replace their DVD players with Blu-ray players. They will seek the machine that is noted for its quality; the one that is future-proof; the one with the trust-worthy brand name; the one that, wow, also plays games. They will invest in PlayStation.

So is it all over for Xbox 360? No, the sales numbers are still in that platform’s favor. But sales numbers change quickly. I’m going to predict that, at some point in 2008, Xbox 360 will enjoy its last ever month outselling PlayStation 3. It will be Blu-ray, not Metal Gear Solid, that makes this happen.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8734&Itemid=2

I agree with a lot of it though i do not agree with the bolded.

I've got a HDTV but I simply don't care that much about hi-def movies unless it's cheap and I know I can get all the movies I want on that format. Right now DVDs are still holding my interest, unless i see a Blu-ray the same price as a DVD i am not interested in the slightest. I will be getting a playstation, for the most part to play games, i doubt the average consumer will pick it up to upgrade thier DVD player to Blu-Ray, and when they want to do that, are there not cheaper Blu-Ray players on the Market anyway?

Wot do you guys think

I think most of the points stand, but people replacing DVD players is too soon. We'll probably see quite a few LG dual format players sold as well, since a few blockbusters have already been released on HD-DVD.

"So enjoy the illusion while you can Sony. I believe it's coming to an end possibly as soon as GDC.

-Posted by Bill"

I see Bill Gates has left a comment. =D