By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What games do you have on 3DS that are NOT from a console Series?

Jumpin said:

You are making the assumption that the 3DS counterparts are poor versions of home console versions; similar to the Vita. This is not the case. Mario Kart 7 isn't a half-assed version of a console game: with flight and undersea travel, it's actually more advanced than the console version. Kid Icarus is also significantly better than its NES console counterpart, as is Ocarina of Time, etc...

You are assuming that the Vita games are without any strong basis. Everyone who is a fan of the subsequent series and who have played the game say otherwise. Its easy to make such claims when you have never tried them, or don't take into consideration what kind of changes would be plausible in the first place.

Also, how about the fact Vita Haters dismiss Persona 4 Golden as a legitimate game fore Vita because it is also....a remake port. Are you trying to tell me that that too is a poor version of P4 as that is how you are portraying Vita games? What about LBP Vita which adds whole new ways of customization and control schemes exclusive to the vita, its own story as well? None of these games count because they are supposedly "lesser versions of console games". Yet you want me to take pleas that games like Zelda Oot are not? Does Zelda:OoT even add any features to the game?

I just want the lot of you to really think this through. You don't know what you are talking about when you make such claims because you usually have not experienced these games yourself or are not even fans of the series they come from. Mario and co are simply more popular so they sell better. Uncharted is still relatively new, and hasn't carved it's niche into handheld market just yet, as well as all the other titles yet they are doing everything right for portable versions. They do just as much to fit the handheld scene as any of the 3DS titles. So dismissing them entirely due to where they came from is silly and juvenile, and when the same is asked of you lot you come up empty handed as well.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
Blacksaber said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Metrium said:
I know that Kid Icarus was on consoles...25 years ago. But Uprising is so different that I consider it to be a new IP. So I'll say Kid Icarus:Uprising.

Nope, doesn't count. The Vita games are not given that level of benefit of the doubt, so my tally doesn't extend that courtesy to 3DS. Basically what this thread proved to me and hopefully a few more of you that 3DS does not have some mysterious line up of unique brand new IPs that are liked by all and sell well. It has its 1st party and a few 3rd party console ports and exclusives that are popular, thats it. They don't do anything super special other than being a good game but they are still portable versions of console games, and once you take that away the list of great material becomes stagnant.

This is what countless 3DS gamers/Vita haters say about Vita, "Take away the console ports and there is nothing there", which I just proved to be true for the 3DS as well. God knows, at least I didn't eliminate Downloadable titles which some Vita haters dismiss as "real games" as well) too otherwise no one would of had a game to show except Pilot Wings Resort.

Yet I have 6 games that aren't downloadable and not PWR....

and what are those? Are they also not console ports/spinoffs/ multiplats?

Newest Layton, Code of Princess,  Style Savvy Trendsetters(Very serious one of my favorite games of the year),  Adventure Time: Hey Ice King..., Nintendogs + Cats and Steel Diver. 

Former something....

Salnax said:

Retail Games

Console Ports - Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition

Console Spinoffs - Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Resident Evil: Revelations

Semi-Console Spinoffs - Kid Icarus: Uprising, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, New Super Mario Bros 2

Handheld Originals - Virtually every eShop game worth mentioning

I'll admit, I can see where this thread is coming from. A lot of 3DS hits resemble console brethren. However, I'd like to note how many of the "Spinoff" and "Semi-Console" categories have been adapted to meet the unique characteristics of handheld gaming, or are great matches for the 3DS.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is one of the only RPGs I've ever played that's divided into small stages in a world map, ala Mario World.

SM3DLand is only possible on a 3D system. Parts of it would be unplayable as a Wii game.

Kid Icarus: Uprising, in addition to virtually being a new franchise ala Metroid Prime vs Super Metroid, is divided into shorter, replayable missions.

Theatrhythm is a touchscreen-based game. I guess it would also be possible on the Wii U, but a touchscreen is necessary for the style of gameplay.

Shadow Wars is a turn-based Strategy RPG divided into missions ranging from 5 minutes to an hour.

If I recall Super Mario RPG did the same.

i love that game.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:

well i think sony has gotten better about this.  LBP is amazing, uncharted is really good from what i hear, GG is making killzone, MM is making tearaway so they really do have good talent working on the vita.

...and i was thinking on my commute home that i may have been being unfair to call out vita.  it really isn't just vita.  i'm not sure why but western devs and western consumers just have a sigma that handheld games are watered down games.  not exactly sure why that is but i must admit i had that same sigma not too long ago.

The stigma stems from the fact that Western developers are heavily reliant on technology and historically handhelds have been at least one generation behind home consoles in terms of processing power. The actually successful handhelds (which were all made by Nintendo) have even been two generations behind. So Western developers didn't want to bother with handhelds and put crappy and heavily watered down games on the systems. Fans of Western games didn't need long to notice the vastly inferior quality and unless they also played Nintendo games, it was hammered into their minds that handheld games are inferior, period. This has been going on for 15 years before the PSP showed up, so it's hard to reverse such a perception. Especially when most PSP games fueled it instead of proving it wrong, so the PSV is in an even tougher spot today.

While the following is off-topic, it's still relevant to the above paragraph. Many people call Japanese gamers xenophobic, because the Xboxes and Western games aren't particularly popular over there. But what is usually ignored is that Western games were notably inferior to Japanese games for at least two decades. They were nowhere near as polished and, to top it off, usually had also poor translation efforts. It's essentially the same problem as outlined in the above paragraph. If anyone bothers to follow Japan, they will have noticed that games like GTA (published by Capcom) and CoD (published by Square-Enix) actually do gain some traction.

In conclusion, stigmas can be crushed, but it takes a lot of effort, because you need to prove people wrong and you need to do it repeatedly and consistently. The AC and CoD games the Vita has been getting do not help Sony's cause. Even less so, because they decided to bundle these games with the system (bundled software is first impression software).

good points all.  

..but i just want to put out there that it's not the power in vita that broke my own stigma.  the power is nice but really it is the controls, they feel exactly like a standard controller.  on my DS and from what i've played of psp games on vita games always had concessions in controls.  metroid prime hunters and killzone liberation both come to mind -- without the dual analog it just didn't feel good.  they were both "passable" but not fun.  but vita is different in that it's exactly what i'm familiar with.  i like that.  it makes games like LBP, rayman, and super star dusk feel exactly like i want them to, exactly like a console quality experience on the go.  

hopefully, for my own sake, vita sales pick up enough to be at least sustainable.  i really really like my vita.  it would be a shame to have support pulled out but i guess things will play out as they play out.

forevercloud3000 said:
Jumpin said:

You are making the assumption that the 3DS counterparts are poor versions of home console versions; similar to the Vita. This is not the case. Mario Kart 7 isn't a half-assed version of a console game: with flight and undersea travel, it's actually more advanced than the console version. Kid Icarus is also significantly better than its NES console counterpart, as is Ocarina of Time, etc...

You are assuming that the Vita games are without any strong basis. Everyone who is a fan of the subsequent series and who have played the game say otherwise. Its easy to make such claims when you have never tried them, or don't take into consideration what kind of changes would be plausible in the first place.

Also, how about the fact Vita Haters dismiss Persona 4 Golden as a legitimate game fore Vita because it is also....a remake port. Are you trying to tell me that that too is a poor version of P4 as that is how you are portraying Vita games? What about LBP Vita which adds whole new ways of customization and control schemes exclusive to the vita, its own story as well? None of these games count because they are supposedly "lesser versions of console games". Yet you want me to take pleas that games like Zelda Oot are not? Does Zelda:OoT even add any features to the game?

I just want the lot of you to really think this through. You don't know what you are talking about when you make such claims because you usually have not experienced these games yourself or are not even fans of the series they come from. Mario and co are simply more popular so they sell better. Uncharted is still relatively new, and hasn't carved it's niche into handheld market just yet, as well as all the other titles yet they are doing everything right for portable versions. They do just as much to fit the handheld scene as any of the 3DS titles. So dismissing them entirely due to where they came from is silly and juvenile, and when the same is asked of you lot you come up empty handed as well.

Yes, actually. Decent ones, too. I think it's a well done port/remake, and both it and P4 Golden have a place in 3DS and Vita discussion.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
Salnax said:

Retail Games

Console Ports - Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition

Console Spinoffs - Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Resident Evil: Revelations

Semi-Console Spinoffs - Kid Icarus: Uprising, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, New Super Mario Bros 2

Handheld Originals - Virtually every eShop game worth mentioning

I'll admit, I can see where this thread is coming from. A lot of 3DS hits resemble console brethren. However, I'd like to note how many of the "Spinoff" and "Semi-Console" categories have been adapted to meet the unique characteristics of handheld gaming, or are great matches for the 3DS.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is one of the only RPGs I've ever played that's divided into small stages in a world map, ala Mario World.

SM3DLand is only possible on a 3D system. Parts of it would be unplayable as a Wii game.

Kid Icarus: Uprising, in addition to virtually being a new franchise ala Metroid Prime vs Super Metroid, is divided into shorter, replayable missions.

Theatrhythm is a touchscreen-based game. I guess it would also be possible on the Wii U, but a touchscreen is necessary for the style of gameplay.

Shadow Wars is a turn-based Strategy RPG divided into missions ranging from 5 minutes to an hour.

1st Bolded: and the Vita games aren't? Everyone who has played them (sans some of the reviewers) say they are.

Where you have Paper Mario and it's adaptions to 3DS with shorter stages etc...

Vita has Persona 4 Golden which adds completely new layers to the experience. It utilizes Vita's conectivity to send distress signals if you are in danger of dying, or requesting a hint on what you should do for the day. Game also adds a quiz game mode. To counter act shorter play times on Vita the game allows quick saves as well as you no longer start from the beginning of the dungeon if you die rather at the beginning of the floor you were on with no harm done.

Where you have Kid Icarus...

I would raise you Gravity Rush which is a great breeze of fresh air from the norm. The game allows free traversal basically anywhere in a large open world. Flying all over with Kat's anti gravity powers is fun and a breeze. Missions are always short and sweet and most can be repeated for better times. The game boasts holographic comic book cutscenes that really shine on the Vita's OLED. You can easily dodge stuff by swiping the screen, etc.

Where you have Theatrerythm...

Vita has Orgarythm

Where you have Super Mario 3D Land

We get Uncharted which also boast really cool features that can't really be replicated on console such as gyroscope aiming which should hence forth be included in all Vita shooters. Game has bit sized missions to keep it short and essentuates puzzle solving more than gun play like the console versions, something fans asked for during the game's development.

Shadow Wars...

Disgaea 3 Vita...

and on and on and on. 3DS isn't holding up somekind of handheld philosophy that Sony has yet to grasp, they get it to and most of the games evoke that principle. Are there a few duds? Yes, Little Deviants and Cod come to mind, but every 3DS game isn't a gem either.

Greatness Awaits

Can you tell me what makes Uncharted Golden Abyss, AssCreed: Liberation, CoD: Declassified, Modnation Racers, Resistance: Burning Skies, and Wipeout 2048 different from their console counterparts? How is it compared to 3DS' console spinoffs?

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

I just got to love the filters!

Edit: The worst of them all is Kid icarus. It's like saying Mario Kart and 3D Mario are the same series. Oh wait, people actually do that.

Blacksaber said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Blacksaber said:

Yet I have 6 games that aren't downloadable and not PWR....

and what are those? Are they also not console ports/spinoffs/ multiplats?

Newest Layton, Code of Princess,  Style Savvy Trendsetters(Very serious one of my favorite games of the year),  Adventure Time: Hey Ice King..., Nintendogs + Cats and Steel Diver. 

Ok, so you actually own some games that are not what OP describes, congrats on being one of the few who can actually say those sentaments many who don't own a single non console port on 3DS frequently try to. Nevertheless, no one else has said any of these games, proving those are not the type of games that drew them to 3DS.

Greatness Awaits

Dillon's Rolling Western, Pushmo and Freakyforms. Does Kid Icarus Uprising counts? I mean, it was totally designed for the 3ds, so you can't say it's a console-like title