By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ruh-Roh ... GameSpot Gives ZombiU A 4.5?

After reading a few reviews, it sounds like the major problem people are having with this game is that the melee combat is tedious rather than fun. Unfortunately, most of the combat seems to be with the same cricket bat for every character.

Doesn't sound like there are any big, impressive moments either. This is nothing like a Silent Hill. It's more of a zombie killing simulator, sounds like.

What kind of kills it for me is that I'm not a fan of the walking-backward-while-swinging method of melee combat, which seems to be a lot of what you're doing in ZombieU. I don't think I could buy this game without trying it first.

Around the Network

not surprised honestly from what i've seen it looked really generic and boring

from its announcement i've been at a loss for why nintendo fans have been hyping this game so much

pokoko said:
After reading a few reviews, it sounds like the major problem people are having with this game is that the melee combat is tedious rather than fun. Unfortunately, most of the combat seems to be with the same cricket bat for every character.

Doesn't sound like there are any big, impressive moments either. This is nothing like a Silent Hill. It's more of a zombie killing simulator, sounds like.

What kind of kills it for me is that I'm not a fan of the walking-backward-while-swinging method of melee combat, which seems to be a lot of what you're doing in ZombieU. I don't think I could buy this game without trying it first.

I'm uncertain which reviews you've been reading; but many praise the combat (though complain more melee weapons would have been nice), and that there's many impressive moments (first arrival at Buckingham Palace, Tower of London crop up a lot). 

It just seems love-hate really.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Reviews seem to be all over the place on this one. I might just pick this up anyways because I think I will like this type of game. I am not expecting a FPS shoot out fest. I am expecting a survival game.

This is unfolding a lot like another high-profile launch game from Ubisoft, Red Steel. The reviews are similarly all over the place: http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/932528-red-steel/index.html

Around the Network

Not totally. So far it seems like ZOMBIU is (with some exceptions) being a bit better reviewed than RED STEEL.

The scores are probably so divided because of fanboy reviewers. Scores don't usually vary as much as they have for ZombiU. This is seen as Nintendo's most hardcore game that could eat into the PS360's user-base. Some reviewers will inflate the score and others will deflate the score to suit their agenda.

It was the only reason I was even thinking about getting a WiiU, now I will not for sure. Waiting on the PS4 now. Seems like all the big review sites hate it very much as it concentrates on nothing. Many cool concepts, but it doesn't make any of them come to life..

IGN just gave Zombie U a 6.3, I believe. Zombie U should come with a cricket bat in the special edition. lol

Kotaku

"I've been playing ZombiU on and off for several days. The short-short version is that the game is impressive and is, amazingly, something of a first-person Demon's Souls with zombies. It's very much a roguelike with lots of stat-building an perma-death. This is a very good thing."