By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Financial Report is IN

It's safe to say that Nintendo knew since January they needed to boost production. With that said, if they had gotten really aggressive, it could have bit them in the butts. Of course, that still applies now, and I don't see any reason we would see a boost beyond the 1.2 million mark.

Around the Network

5.84 x 40% = 2.34 million internet ready consoles. Not bad. 3.3 million VC games... Meh... Not so great... I shouldn't be surprised... Most titles rely on either a Gamecube controller or a Classic controller... Yet despite that, I believe its a faster start than XBLA...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Even with this I still stick to my predictions in my sig. I have Nintendo selling 1m per month from april through sept. Then 1.7m in Oct, 2.3m in Nov, and a whopping 3.4m in Dec. Granted I am assuming all of the biggest names will launch in the last three months. Super Smash Bros, Metroid Prime 3, SMGalaxy, etc. They showed with the DS and GC that their initial forecasts can be much lower or higher in the end. I think that with these obvious killer apps and the likely newcomers WiiHealth, akin to nintendogs I think, Wii will hit the 19m mark or very close to.

EDIT: After rereading the report, I am right on actually. They are saying that they will sell 20m total by march 2008. I say 19m by December because I think they are being, as usual, a little conservative. However, they did say 4m by end of 2006 and did what 3.8m and 6m by end of march and did 5.8m. 

Wow, they're making some good cash. I see why they bought Monolith. Good way to use the new money. Makes me think they'll have enough cash to make a Wii with really pretty graphics in five years.

I am Daemon. I am the Word.

But out of all the games companies out there they had to buy monolith?? Why not take Camelot or something!?!?! Oh well if this means Nintendo is trying to broaden it's horizons into the RPG market (they don't really have a great RPG team IMO).

Around the Network

Just as a note here... In terms of the 6 month period from October 2006-March 2007, Nintendo basically set some all-time records for hardware shipments... The DS sold 23.56 million on the year, and VGC lists them at 10.09 million in the first 6 months... Meaning they sold 13.47 million from Oct-March, tieing the PS2s 13.46 million from Oct 2004-March 2005 as the highest shipments for any console in a 6 month period in history. Combined DS, Wii, GBA and GC shipments were DS: 13.47 Wii: 5.84 GBA: 2.76 GC: 0.37 for a total of 22.44 million game hardware units shipped in a 6 month period. The previous record for combined 6-month shipments of one companies systems was 18.03 million combined PS2s, PSPs and PSones from that same Oct 04-March 05 period.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

OriGin said:
But out of all the games companies out there they had to buy monolith?? Why not take Camelot or something!?!?! Oh well if this means Nintendo is trying to broaden it's horizons into the RPG market (they don't really have a great RPG team IMO).

you do realise that Nintendo has the top 5 selling RPG's in the world, right? 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

And when were they released? Please don't say Zelda is an RPG........

pokemon dude

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Nintendo don't make that it's GameFreak which is part of Pokemon Company which is then part of Nintendo, and dispite sales I don't really classify that as the type of RPG that interests me... I don't like Pokemon games, haven't and never will. I don't think Pokemon games are suited towards the JRPG lover like me, thus I think that Monolith will be a great asset.