By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Financial Report is IN

HappySqurriel said:

The total marketing costs are also pretty typical (IIRC there was $500,000,000 spent in 2002 for the GBA and Gamecube) being that they have to release dozens of games worldwide while still actively marketing two major consoles.

I find those marketing numbers amazing. I know they are a drop in the ocean compared to total revenue, but they are very significant compared to total profit (about 50%!).

If the Wii did well enough, was wondering if it was possible to cut those costs by 25%-50% - and pocket the extra money. An extra 400m US isn't money to scoff at - take even 10% of that, and throw it into development...

But I suppose when you consider that money not only covers *all* games released, and both consoles - it covers every country of the world that their products are released in. Wii specific advertising in the UK alone (for example), might only have 10-20m allocated for a full 12 month period.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
ioi said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Yeah but you have adjusted to 6.41 ...the Nintendo report (and I dont think they are putting numbers to look worse ) says 5.84 million consoles sold .Its still some 550K off .

There have been another 3.5 weeks of sales since the coverage of these financials. Diomedes, why do you seem intent on suggesting that their is a bias or foul play with VG Chartz? It works across the board - some think that 360 sales are a little high (I think they are a little in "others" so may readjust in the near future) some think too low (10.4m shipped remember). Some say Wii sales are too high, some too low. Some say PS3 sales are too high.

At the end of the day we apply the same methods across all formats in our calculations. We don't have sell through data for every single region so we have to estimate and project - obviously in the case of Wii we were ~300k too high in others so evidently it has been selling (shipping) better in the UK / France / Germany / Spain proportionately to other regions which we estimate for based on past trends.

Edit: lol from every indication there is Wii is still sold out in every single region so shipped = sold in this case.

You should come to my country ,there are Wiis in each and every store .In the Top Ten for april there isnt a single Wii game (4 PS3 games ) .It seems hype has already died .Its not the same in all countries of course ,but just to point shipped doesnt equal sold .

I have had the impression for some time ,and I told you before ,that PS3 numbers were always treated with the most conservative estimations or the lower numbers available.No problem with that  .But with the X360 you were a little more generous ,and a lot more generous with the Wii .And you have had to cut the numbers for those consoles several times and not in very small margins as with the PS3 ones ,so I think I was more or less correct about this impression .Not saying you are biased or anything ,but maybe your sources are .

One question .....have we lost the historical NA data forever ?I mean ,I liked to go and see how much Pokemon sold compared to the next iteration or how the NA sales for all the DMC games fared etc .This seems a terrible blow for this site .I hope you can put those numbers back , monthly data would be great ..if not weekly would be supportable .NPD has force you to eliminate the database for NA ?And I would like more than just the Top 50 if its possible ...if NPD hasnt forced you to stick to that numbers of course .

You know this news only makes me wanna put this on.

Tendo Luv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_rAm7cYgNQ

Gotta love this guy for putting this together. The Nintendo anthem.

Bounce with me Kwaad! 

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

John didn't you say 20m by the end of the year though? If Nintendo's forecast is 3m less than that you're in a bit of trouble with that prediction there :P

Funny that Kwaad is strangely absent from this thread, I'd like to see him spin this any other way than positive.

I don't think Nintendo have upped their production all that much if at all really, I would really like to know what the goings on with the production and supply vs demand situation is.

Diomedes are you in Australia? You need to take the aussie sales charts with a grain of salt they aren't overly accurate.

OriGin said:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2007/070426.pdf

It's in Japanese so if there are any Japanese members reading could you please translate the important parts for us :)

What I can get from this is that Nintendo hasn't sold over 6million Wii's since launch, I think it says 5.84 which makes this site off DRASTICALLY for other.

You forget about the April numbers

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
Yeah but you have adjusted to 6.41 ...the Nintendo report (and I dont think they are putting numbers to look worse ) says 5.84 million consoles sold .Its still some 550K off .

Hello, its until march, its now April, duh

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

OriGin said:

John didn't you say 20m by the end of the year though? If Nintendo's forecast is 3m less than that you're in a bit of trouble with that prediction there :P

[cut]

Watch and see. Weather forecasts get adjusted as the days get closer. And Nintendo is as always conservative. Mark my words 20 million will be sold by the end of the year. Remember Wii is the system of low expectations and "surprising" results.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

I'm sorry it wasn't drastically different, just about 300k up in the end... so not as bad as I first though but still pretty good. I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't get past the 6 million mark last year honestly, but their fiscal reports already looked stunning maybe they just wanted to stuff this one fat of puddin.

JohnLucas - I'm not sure if you'll be right or not but you have a nice big conviction about that there :) I am concerned by your numbers simply because Nintendo seems to be opperating on a Shipped = Sold basis these days (whatever they sell in to stores they sell thru straight away) and if that is their projected number then I'm assuming that is the number they are expecting to produce.  Where are the other 3 million units going to come from? Though, I'm not sure if Nintendo would only try and produce the number that they forecast, you would hope that they would try and at LEAST start stuffing retail channels!!! 

My graph (made in February) continues to look accurate - it had Wii LTD worldwide base at 18 million by the end of 2007 +/- 500k.  I suspect in Q1 08', they can sell 800,000 or so per month (325k Americas, 250k Japan, 225k Others).

I think at the very least, Nintendo will have sold 16 million Wii's by the end of the year.  The question is, can Microsoft sell that many Xbox 360's by the end of 2007?  I have my doubts.  I think they can reach 14.5 million, 15 million if everything goes perfectly (it will be interesting to see what Microsoft says today in their report).

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

I think both the 14 million Wii and 22 million DS sales estimates for the next fiscal year are quite conservative. I guess Nintendo likes the press about how over the last year they kept having to increase their earnings estimates.