By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's official, Wii U is smoother than last-gen HDs

There's something immediately striking about Nintendo's Wii U proprietary disc format that's hard to notice in photos -- it's got rounded edges, both outside and in. It feels different than any other disc we've handled before; Tim swears he's seen a round-edged disc in the wild, but we've never seen such a thing ourselves. It's as if the folks at Nintendo took sandpaper to every edge of every disc, making them all the more friendly to the touch. It's a little detail, but it's a nice one.

As we learned when the console was initially announced, the Wii U's "proprietary high-density optical discs" hold up to 25GB of data -- equivalent with that of Sony's single-layer Blu-ray format on the PlayStation 3, and much larger than the Xbox 360's dual-layer DVD format. Of course, all logic and statistics aside, having now handled a round-edged disc, we never wanna go back. We've taken some super up-close photos of Wii U karaoke title Sing Party, as well as comparison shots alongside its hard-edged Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 brethren, which can be found in the gallery below.

Source

-------
I see no problem ahead.

...Don't you just wanna touch that smooth edge?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Yes....."tries to go for a reach at the screen*

WII U just won next gen!!! - though already knew that like 5 months ago

Dat edge...

That's actually really cool!

(Hopefully this is tested and doesn't explode after 50 hours of play)

Around the Network

So... they round off the edges on their discs, and they are automatically amazing? I don't understand what the big deal is.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

While that's nice, I'm more interested in if the discs have the scratch resistant coating like blurays do. While I've only ever had one disc go bad due to being scratched (last time I loaned out a game), my PS3 games always looked new while my Wii games have very fine scratches on a few games.

A big media outlet like that and they take horrible photographs.

You can't see the rounded edges in any of those photos.

Glad to hear this but that's some pathetic photography from a major media outlet.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

Glad to hear this but that's some pathetic photography from a major media outlet.

I circled the area of the photo showing the edge. Hope this helps!

JoeTheBro said:
Viper1 said:

I circled the area of the photo showing the edge. Hope this helps!

Right, now check the other photos that compare it against an X360 and PS3 disc.   If no one told you, you'd have no idea the Wii U disc were rounded on the edge.

The rEVOLution is not being televised