By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's official, Wii U is smoother than last-gen HDs

ghost_of_fazz said:
fordy said:
Maybe it was in response to the PSP "flying disc" trick, where you can get the disc to eject from the system.

But does anyone have any info on Nintendo's disc format? Is it HD-DVD reanimated?

It's Bluray. Panasonic Bluray.

On-topic: It's a nice small detail. I would notice right away if I had a disc in my hands.

I don't think it's 1:1 with Blu-Ray. For starters, they said the technology as well as the drive was developed by Panasonic. Sony developed the Blu-Ray technology. On top of that, with the many different optical disc technologies available this generation, I wouldn't see Nintendo supporting Blu-Ray because:

1. It's more liable to pirate, since it's the dominant HD format.

2. It allows WiiU discs to be mass produced elsewhere besides Nintendo. Less service costs to print discs for 3rd parties.

3. Using Blu-Ray tech requires paying royalties to Sony; Nintendo's rival.

These 3 conflict directly with Nintendo's business strategy.

Around the Network
fordy said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
fordy said:
Maybe it was in response to the PSP "flying disc" trick, where you can get the disc to eject from the system.

But does anyone have any info on Nintendo's disc format? Is it HD-DVD reanimated?

On-topic: It's a nice small detail. I would notice right away if I had a disc in my hands.

I don't think it's 1:1 with Blu-Ray. For starters, they said the technology as well as the drive was developed by Panasonic. Sony developed the Blu-Ray technology. On top of that, with the many different optical disc technologies available this generation, I wouldn't see Nintendo supporting Blu-Ray because:

2. It allows WiiU discs to be mass produced elsewhere besides Nintendo. Less service costs to print discs for 3rd parties.

Ummm the Blu-ray Disc Association was started by Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung. All of them developed the Blu-ray, not just Sony.

Also, the Wii used standard DVD's. They were standard, even if they were called "Wii Optical Disc"

fordy said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
fordy said:

well the wii was probably the easiest to pirate out of the consoles. Because you just download torrents, and play them on dolphin.

The xbox 360, and PS3, atleast require you mod the system, and have no functional emulators.

at least this is settled then

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Bristow9091 said:
mysticwolf said:
So... they round off the edges on their discs, and they are automatically amazing? I don't understand what the big deal is.

Exactly... why are people getting boners over it?

who is exactly are getting boners over this news?.. 

Around the Network

Content is cut CONFIRMED! Nintendoomed!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

FatalInertia said:
BD discs are way better then this as well as highly reslient to damage/scratches,

These are BD discs in terms of the underlying technology.

fordy said:

As Ghoost of Fazz noted, the technology is actually owned by a whole consortium of companies, not just Sony.   Though Sony and Philips are credited with the main development work.  Sony is credited with having released the first consumer Blu-ray device.

1. How mnay Blu-ray games do you know that are pirated?

2. Nintendo never produces their own discs anyway so what are you getting at? 

3. Yes and no.   As part of that consortium, Sony would be entitled to any money spent on a Blu-ray license.   But no because Nintendo doesn't need a Blu-ray license.

The problem is most people don't separate the disc from the brand.  Blu-ray is a brand.   If you want to play Blu-ray movies, you need a blu-ray license.   If you want to use the same optical disc and the same encode and formatting, you need a Blu-ray license.   If you want to use the disc technology with a different encoding and formatting system and a different disc drive system, you don't need a license.  You just need someone that can make the drive, the discs and the software.  Pansonic (I'm still used to calling them Matsushita) does just that.

The rEVOLution is not being televised