By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony go with Super Smash Bros. too instead of Super Mario Bros. too?

Tagged games:

DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
sensebringer said:

A review of a game is an Opinion. It is not a fact.

when did i ever say it wasnt? i stated that LBP had higher metacritic scores then SMB. is that an opinion or fact?

It's the fact of opinions

made my people who's profession is to objectivly review games based on there good and bad qualities, there for making there opinions much more trust worthy than internet fanboys. you know its why publishers even give rewards to developers based on metacritic reviews, you know because developers profession is to rate games, its their job. and until you give any real evidence that LBP scores were baised, adjusted and bought you have no legs to stand on to claim they were

Then you should provid evidence that those scores I offered were by fan boys. And even if it is by fan boys, those fan boys seem to like SMB3 better than LBP2...

here is a review on SMB 2 on 3ds from metacritic 

"This game is short and the lack of innovation caused this review. No online mp in 2012 is brutal and unacceptable. Just bc it's Mario doesn't make it good, this is pandering and I'm not a fan anymore as an adult. I demand better in my games and this doesn't cut it. The raccoon suit only thing remotely positive in this game."

1/10

now you can say that some sites give "troll" reviews like this as well but then lets see who can find more "troll" reviews more, me bringing out metacritic user reviews, or you finding websites "troll" reviews. lets see who finds more, shall we?

Around the Network
amp316 said:
bananaking21 said:
its because Sony has a superior 2D platforming game, its called littlebigplanet

According to you.  We'll see where LBP is in 30 years.

ill make sure to get back at you in 30 years and tell you ;)

bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
sensebringer said:

when did i ever say it wasnt? i stated that LBP had higher metacritic scores then SMB. is that an opinion or fact?

made my people who's profession is to objectivly review games based on there good and bad qualities, there for making there opinions much more trust worthy than internet fanboys. you know its why publishers even give rewards to developers based on metacritic reviews, you know because developers profession is to rate games, its their job. and until you give any real evidence that LBP scores were baised, adjusted and bought you have no legs to stand on to claim they were

Then you should provid evidence that those scores I offered were by fan boys. And even if it is by fan boys, those fan boys seem to like SMB3 better than LBP2...

"This game is short and the lack of innovation caused this review. No online mp in 2012 is brutal and unacceptable. Just bc it's Mario doesn't make it good, this is pandering and I'm not a fan anymore as an adult. I demand better in my games and this doesn't cut it. The raccoon suit only thing remotely positive in this game."

1/10

now you can say that some sites give "troll" reviews like this as well but then lets see who can find more "troll" reviews more, me bringing out metacritic user reviews, or you finding websites "troll" reviews. lets see who finds more, shall we?

I'm not denying the existense of troll reviews, I was merely trying to make a point that reviews in general, whether or not they're user scores or professional scores, doesn't mean games are better. I could give the links to gamerankings and the score of SMW, but that would be contradicting my efforts of showing you that reviews aren't the end all be all.

BUT, if you can show me similar praise of LBP I will agree that LBP is superior:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=10&cId=3147448

http://top100.ign.com/2005/001-010.html

http://www.g4tv.com/top-100/478/super-mario-bros/

From Wikipedia: In 2009, Game Informer put Super Mario Bros. in second place on their list of "The Top 200 Games of All Time," behind The Legend of Zelda, saying that it "remains a monument to brilliant design and fun gameplay".

If LBP have recieved similar praise I will praise it as the greatest game series that has ever been concieved.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Wow, what a fight over superiority of LBP and Mario. Mario is there for decades. Even the old people knows it. But LBP is only few years old. Mario would sell millions on the popularity alone.

DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
sensebringer said:

1/10

I'm not denying the existense of troll reviews, I was merely trying to make a point that reviews in general, whether or not they're user scores or professional scores, doesn't mean games are better. I could give the links to gamerankings and the score of SMW, but that would be contradicting my efforts of showing you that reviews aren't the end all be all.

BUT, if you can show me similar praise of LBP I will agree that LBP is superior:

From Wikipedia: In 2009, Game Informer put Super Mario Bros. in second place on their list of "The Top 200 Games of All Time," behind The Legend of Zelda, saying that it "remains a monument to brilliant design and fun gameplay".

If LBP have recieved similar praise I will praise it as the greatest game series that has ever been concieved.

i wont go through all the LBP reviews, threads and articles to find priase for it. and yes reviews arent the end all be all. but when a series scores higher than another it paints a very good idea which series has been better for a period of time. 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
amp316 said:
bananaking21 said:

I am willing to bet that in 30 years Mario will still be around and Sackboy will be a memory.  Let's make a bet for sig control in thirty years.  You will have to say "The floaty jumping in Little Big Planet is a distant memory" or something like that.  Of course people will ask you what LBP is, but that will go with the territory. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:

i wont go through all the LBP reviews, threads and articles to find priase for it. and yes reviews arent the end all be all. but when a series scores higher than another it paints a very good idea which series has been better for a period of time. 

Just find ONE article heralding LBP as one of THE best games EVER that will go down in history for being perfect in almost every single way from a major gaming site. I know there is much praise for it, it is a great game - no question about it. But I have just provided you with a list from different publishers that ALL agree that Super Mario Bros (an almost 30 years old game) is one of the best games ever made of all time, thus making it superior to LBP.

Now, if YOU said YOU think LBP is superior to SMB then that's all nice and dandy. It's your opinion then I I respect that. But if you're saying that it is the publics view that LBP is superior to SMB, then I have just debunked that statement.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

bananaking21 said:
freebs2 said:

No, th fact that a lot of user generated levels were made doesn't mean, the LBP editor is a good one. After all you consider irrilevant the fact that 10times more people are playing Super Mario instead of LBP. Imo, if you want to judge an editor you have to consider its capacity and its efficienty. If you consider capacity LBP editor is good, but on the other hand you can learn to use a simple tool like Gamemaker which is more capable and it's not really that hard to learn with a tutorial. If you consider its efficiency, as I said before, there is something wrong if a buch of random programmers on the internet can make an editor for Super Mario which is easier and quicker to use than the editor made by the AAA production.

As for the challange. Is NSMB more challenging than LBP? Yes. Can NSMB can be considered, in general, a challenging game? No. To be clear, I don't think NSMB is anywere close to be perfect. (for instance I think both Super Meat Boy and DKCR are better in single player) Still even tought it's not really challaging it is fine in any other aspect that make a platformer a good one. It has a fine control response, it has good level designes and, even tought it's quite easy to beat, it has an evident lerning curve (you can see it perfectly when you play multiplayer in coin battle mode). LBP isn't good in any of these departments.

yes just because millions of levels were created on doesnt mean its a good one. but you forgot the fact that its level editor was once of the main reasons its one tons of awards, its level editor is one of the main reasons its a great game, and the quality and creativity that the user generated levels have is a  testament to the editors quality. and say about obout littlebigplanets level desinges? and i never had a single problem with littlebigplanets control response, i have no idea where your bringing that from 

I don't see the reason to repeat myself but still...if you consider the mumber of levels created as indicator of quaity then, you should also consider the hours spent by the huge NSMB user base as a testament to the game's quality. I presonally wouldn't do it in both cases.

Yes, the level editor was one of the main reasons why LBP was praised by critics. That's because it was very innovative, no one had ever made a platform game with a level editor inside, and the create-play-share was also a good and innovative concept, in fact, as I said in a post before, I was hyped when the game came out back in 2007, and I got it day1. But is innovation enough to make a game good? A bad palformer with an editor dosen't make good platformer.

You wanted to ear the reasons why me and some users don't like LBP and I have already told you them. If then you don't agree it's fine, no problem. Let me just say I always enjoyed plaformers both 2D and 3D on any plaform, I love Crash, Jak, Spyro, Ratchet as well as Super Mario and Sonic. But still I couldn't find anything particulary good about LBP that kept me on playing. I spent something like 30hours to create levels but I was never able came up with something that I considered satisfying, while about an year ago I was able to crate a very basic fps level on UDK (Unreal Development Kit) in about the same time, and I'm not a programmer. That's all to say I'm not biased at all, I just don't think it's a good game and I know many gamers who agree with me.

i actually agreed with you on that the number of levels created is extremely high doesnt mean its quality is high, i was being sarcastic or anything, i did agree with you. i actually tried the editor in LBP and found it really good. but comparing it to be a full blown out engine like unreal isnt really fair. i have worked for about 4 weeks on UDK and yes its much more effiecent to create levels on their then the LBP editor. but now we are compaing one of the most advanced engines in the world to a level editor. the editor must be dumbed down and striped a lot of functionality for people to be able to understand it. its completly unfair to compare UDK to LBP editor

Ah ok, sorry. I didn't get that. Ok, if you found LBP editor good, then alright personal opinions.

As for the comparison, ok UDK can't be compared with a game editor when it comes to capacity. But when it comes to efficiency and user friendliness a game editor should be leagues better than a professional engine, at least in the first hours. What I mean is you can't espect an user to spend dozens of hours to learn using the game editor and still having trobles. (That was my experience, it may be beacuse I'm not good at it :P )

To make the most fair comparison imo, as I said, I've tried to use Reggie for Wii and Lunar Magic for SNES, which are amateur made tools to literally alter NSMBW .iso and Super Mario World rom. Those tools are more limited, for instance you can just re-arrange layers and sprites, but still it's enough to make a funcional levels, and I found those a lot easier and more rewarding to use than creating a LBP level.

amp316 said:
bananaking21 said:
amp316 said:
bananaking21 said:

I am willing to bet that in 30 years Mario will still be around and Sackboy will be a memory.  Let's make a bet for sig control in thirty years.  You will have to say "The floaty jumping in Little Big Planet is a distant memory" or something like that.  Of course people will ask you what LBP is, but that will go with the territory. 

fine, in 30 years we will see if sackboy is still around. if i win i will right the floaty jumping in little big planet is a distant memory" or something like that, what ever you chose, if he is still around you will right "spongebob squarepants is by far the best form on entertainment i have ever seen, ohh and sonic sucks" i know spongebob has nothing to do with anything and i saw you are a proud member of the sonic squad so i just wanted to be mean in the sonic part buahahaha

bananaking21 said:
amp316 said:
bananaking21 said:
amp316 said:
bananaking21 said:

fine, in 30 years we will see if sackboy is still around. if i win i will right the floaty jumping in little big planet is a distant memory" or something like that, what ever you chose, if he is still around you will right "spongebob squarepants is by far the best form on entertainment i have ever seen, ohh and sonic sucks" i know spongebob has nothing to do with anything and i saw you are a proud member of the sonic squad so i just wanted to be mean in the sonic part buahahaha

Good, I will see you in 30 years on this bet.

For the record, I actually have played Little Big Planet and am not just a Nintendo guy picking on something that I haven't tried.  The contols in that game just feel so wrong when compared to the tight and responsive ones in the Mario games.  They even made running feel wrong somehow in LBP.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger