By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony go with Super Smash Bros. too instead of Super Mario Bros. too?

Tagged games:

pezus said:
amp316 said:
bananaking21 said:

fine, in 30 years we will see if sackboy is still around. if i win i will right the floaty jumping in little big planet is a distant memory" or something like that, what ever you chose, if he is still around you will right "spongebob squarepants is by far the best form on entertainment i have ever seen, ohh and sonic sucks" i know spongebob has nothing to do with anything and i saw you are a proud member of the sonic squad so i just wanted to be mean in the sonic part buahahaha

Good, I will see you in 30 years on this bet.

For the record, I actually have played Little Big Planet and am not just a Nintendo guy picking on something that I haven't tried.  The contols in that game just feel so wrong when compared to the tight and responsive ones in the Mario games.  They even made running feel wrong somehow in LBP.

It's a physics based game, so it actually feels more right...but I know what you mean . In terms of jumping and other platforming stuff, Mario is better, but in terms of online, level creating etc. Mario has nothing on LBP. They just have a completely different focus.

Oh, it's a physics based game?  That explains my dislike for it.  

Have you ever heard how I feel about Boom Blox?  Of course you have.  Everyone has...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Jay520 said:

I don't understand why people are ganging up on bananaking. The OP asked a question and bananaking gave his answer. He's saying the question doesn't make sense because Sony did make a 2D platformer with LittleBigPlanet. He has the right to his opinion, and if he wants to support his opinion with reviews, then he has a right to do so. If you really have a problem with people mentioning LittleBigPlanet, then you should have never entered the thread to begin with. By reading the title and getting a jist of the premise of the thread, it's clear what the OP's purpose is, and it's even more clear what the answer will be. 

It certainly doesn't matter which game is better between Mario and LittleBigPlanet. The OP did not imply that Sony's outing would have to be on par with Nintendo's outing in order to be mentioned, otherwise he would be implying that PABR is on par with SSB, which I'm sure he is not. The OP merely wanting to know why Sony didn't tackle the 2D platforming genre, and people responded that his question was flawed; Sony did make a 2D platformer with LittleBigPlanet.

Quality is subjective and these games are different enough for their to be different valid opinions. On one hand, LBP scores higher, one the other hand, Mario sales more. Niether of which is an absolute indicater of quality. And niether of which are relevant at all; the OP never asked for a higher quality game. So not only has this argument been childish from the beginning; it's also both flawed and irrelevant.

Bananaking is playing the "my opinion = truth" card, which has merited little but ridicule.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

DanneSandin said:
ninetailschris said:
bananaking21 said:

its because Sony has a superior 2D platforming game, its called littlebigplanet

Edit : for people who thought this was my own personal opinion

metacritic scores

littlebigplanet 95 > 89 super mario bros DS

Littlebigplanet 2 91 > 87 super mario bros Wii

Littlebigplanet vita 88 > 78 super mario bros 2 3DS

Are we calling any mario game?

Because if we are you know for a fact that little big planet can stand up the mario bros series and mario land series.

The music is enough to make LBP to look like a generic game.

LBP has been dying off.... Mario is alive and going strong.

Don't even bother... I gave him a list of links to major gaming sites citing SMB as one of the greatest games ever in the history of gaming, and he still didn't buy that SMB is superior. It's not that HE thinks that LBP is better, he is incisting that it's the publics view

as i said i wont go through all the hunderds of LBP reviews,thread and articles to find something like that. also SMB is a 30 year old game, even if the public perception that the SMB franchise was once better than LBP (we cant honestly say that because LBP is about 5 years old and wasnt around in the 80's) . but now the public perception is that the LBP franchise  is better than the SMB franchise. and by public perception i mean professional game reviews. did any of those major gaming sites say the same thing about SMB2 on 3DS that they said about the 30 year old SMB?

looks like the thread intention backfired on the OP.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Back on topic - the answer is obvious

if they create another SMB clone they compete against the already struggling LBP

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Jay520 said:

I don't understand why people are ganging up on bananaking. The OP asked a question and bananaking gave his answer. He's saying the question doesn't make sense because Sony did make a 2D platformer with LittleBigPlanet. He has the right to his opinion, and if he wants to support his opinion with reviews, then he has a right to do so. If you really have a problem with people mentioning LittleBigPlanet, then you should have never entered the thread to begin with. By reading the title and getting a jist of the premise of the thread, it's clear what the OP's purpose is, and it's even more clear what the answer will be. 

It certainly doesn't matter which game is better between Mario and LittleBigPlanet. The OP did not imply that Sony's outing would have to be on par with Nintendo's outing in order to be mentioned, otherwise he would be implying that PABR is on par with SSB, which I'm sure he is not. The OP merely wanting to know why Sony didn't tackle the 2D platforming genre, and people responded that his question was flawed; Sony did make a 2D platformer with LittleBigPlanet.

Quality is subjective and these games are different enough for their to be different valid opinions. On one hand, LBP scores higher, one the other hand, Mario sales more. Niether of which is an absolute indicater of quality. And niether of which are relevant at all; the OP never asked for a higher quality game. So not only has this argument been childish from the beginning; it's also both flawed and irrelevant.

Bananaking is playing the "my opinion = truth" card, which has merited little but ridicule.

on the contrary, all my arguements have been based on logic rather than opinion. i have based the statement that LBP is now better than SMB based on metacritic reviews, not my own personal opinion. to this point in this thread i have not said whether i consider LBP or SMB to be better in my own personal opinions

Jay520 said:

I don't understand why people are ganging up on bananaking. The OP asked a question and bananaking gave his answer. Which is, the question doesn't make sense because Sony did make a 2D platformer with LittleBigPlanet. Sure, he thinks LittleBigPlanet is the superior game, so what? He has the right to his opinion, and if he wants to support his opinion with reviews, then he has a right to do so. If you really have a problem with people mentioning LittleBigPlanet, then you should have never entered the thread to begin with. By reading the title and getting a jist of only the premise of the thread, it's clear what the OP's purpose is, and it's even more clear what the subsequent answers will be. 

Also, doesn't matter which game is better between Mario and LittleBigPlanet. The OP did not imply that Sony's outing would have to be on par with Nintendo's outing in order to be mentioned, otherwise he would be implying that PABR is on par with SSB, which I'm sure he is not. So attacking Bananaking for saying LBP is the superior game doesn't have anything to do with the thread  (it seems more like people can't handle someone with a different opinion). The OP merely wanted to know why Sony didn't tackle the 2D platforming genre, and he responded that his question was flawed, because Sony did make a 2D platformer with LittleBigPlanet.

Quality is subjective and these games are different enough for there to be different valid opinions. On one hand, LBP scores higher, one the other hand, Mario sales more. Niether of which is an absolute indicater of quality. And niether of which are relevant at all; the OP never asked for a higher quality game. So not only has this argument been childish from the beginning; it's also both flawed and irrelevant.

He (Bananaking) has stated that HE didn't think LBP was superior to SMB, but have made it look like as if game sites and the public in general think this is the case. The rest of the thread has been aimed at debunking this statement, that the public actually thinks that SMB is the better game.

And I am positive that the OP knew precisely that LBP would be brought up.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

fighter said:
Back on topic - the answer is obvious

if they create another SMB clone they compete against the already struggling LBP

how is LBP a clone? im just asking honestly, no intention to start anything, just a logical and mature conversation. please explain your points on how LBP is a SMB clone

bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
ninetailschris said:
bananaking21 said:

its because Sony has a superior 2D platforming game, its called littlebigplanet

Edit : for people who thought this was my own personal opinion

metacritic scores

littlebigplanet 95 > 89 super mario bros DS

Littlebigplanet 2 91 > 87 super mario bros Wii

Littlebigplanet vita 88 > 78 super mario bros 2 3DS

Are we calling any mario game?

Because if we are you know for a fact that little big planet can stand up the mario bros series and mario land series.

The music is enough to make LBP to look like a generic game.

LBP has been dying off.... Mario is alive and going strong.

Don't even bother... I gave him a list of links to major gaming sites citing SMB as one of the greatest games ever in the history of gaming, and he still didn't buy that SMB is superior. It's not that HE thinks that LBP is better, he is incisting that it's the publics view

as i said i wont go through all the hunderds of LBP reviews,thread and articles to find something like that. also SMB is a 30 year old game, even if the public perception that the SMB franchise was once better than LBP (we cant honestly say that because LBP is about 5 years old and wasnt around in the 80's) . but now the public perception is that the LBP franchise  is better than the SMB franchise. and by public perception i mean professional game reviews. did any of those major gaming sites say the same thing about SMB2 on 3DS that they said about the 30 year old SMB?

That would be the case of Forza vs GT - ha ha

But really - if LBP takes the crown is graphics, functionnalities and other aspects it's far behind in terms of gameplay - and that my firend is where the value is at

Mr Khan said:

I don't think so. The OP asked a question and I assume he wanted an honest answer. Bananaking gave his answer and went further by saying LBP was the superior game. Honestly, what's wrong with this? It's his own opinion and he has a right to it. This looks more like Mario fans getting upset because someone enjoys LBP more.