By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony go with Super Smash Bros. too instead of Super Mario Bros. too?

Tagged games:

bananaking21 said:

its because Sony has a superior 2D platforming game, its called littlebigplanet

Edit : for people who thought this was my own personal opinion

metacritic scores

littlebigplanet 95 > 89 super mario bros DS

Littlebigplanet 2 91 > 87 super mario bros Wii

Littlebigplanet vita 88 > 78 super mario bros 2 3DS

Are we calling any mario game?

Because if we are you know for a fact that little big planet can stand up the mario bros series and mario land series.

The music is enough to make LBP to look like a generic game.

LBP has been dying off.... Mario is alive and going strong.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:
bananaking21 said:

its because Sony has a superior 2D platforming game, its called littlebigplanet

Edit : for people who thought this was my own personal opinion

metacritic scores

littlebigplanet 95 > 89 super mario bros DS

Littlebigplanet 2 91 > 87 super mario bros Wii

Littlebigplanet vita 88 > 78 super mario bros 2 3DS

Are we calling any mario game?

Because if we are you know for a fact that little big planet can stand up the mario bros series and mario land series.

The music is enough to make LBP to look like a generic game.

LBP has been dying off.... Mario is alive and going strong.

Don't even bother... I gave him a list of links to major gaming sites citing SMB as one of the greatest games ever in the history of gaming, and he still didn't buy that SMB is superior. It's not that HE thinks that LBP is better, he is incisting that it's the publics view

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I honestly don't get the LBP love. Played a couple of hours of it, and got really bored. Honestly if we're talking about best 2D platformers, Donkey Kong Country Returns is by far the most superior this gen (probably ever imo)

kopstudent89 said:
I honestly don't get the LBP love. Played a couple of hours of it, and got really bored. Honestly if we're talking about best 2D platformers, Donkey Kong Country Returns is by far the most superior this gen (probably ever imo)

Donkey Country Returns is a great game deserves to be name dropped more often.

DC games are great and stand up today with the greats imo.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

bananaking21 said:

here is a review on SMB 2 on 3ds from metacritic 

"This game is short and the lack of innovation caused this review. No online mp in 2012 is brutal and unacceptable. Just bc it's Mario doesn't make it good, this is pandering and I'm not a fan anymore as an adult. I demand better in my games and this doesn't cut it. The raccoon suit only thing remotely positive in this game."

1/10

now you can say that some sites give "troll" reviews like this as well but then lets see who can find more "troll" reviews more, me bringing out metacritic user reviews, or you finding websites "troll" reviews. lets see who finds more, shall we?

You forgot to mention that this is a USER review LOL. Now we are citing trolls as facts. The sad thing is, I can't even cite a troll review for LBPV because nobody trolls vita games anymore, it wouldn't draw enough attention to be worth it. I could do one but what's the point. You know the old saying, I f a troll trolls a game that nobody cares about, did he really troll anybody? Or something along those lines L O L.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
Chandler said:
bananaking21 said:

here is a review on SMB 2 on 3ds from metacritic 

"This game is short and the lack of innovation caused this review. No online mp in 2012 is brutal and unacceptable. Just bc it's Mario doesn't make it good, this is pandering and I'm not a fan anymore as an adult. I demand better in my games and this doesn't cut it. The raccoon suit only thing remotely positive in this game."

1/10

now you can say that some sites give "troll" reviews like this as well but then lets see who can find more "troll" reviews more, me bringing out metacritic user reviews, or you finding websites "troll" reviews. lets see who finds more, shall we?

You forgot to mention that this is a USER review LOL. Now we are citing trolls as facts. The sad thing is, I can't even cite a troll review for LBPV because nobody trolls vita games anymore, it wouldn't draw enough attention to be worth it. I could do one but what's the point. You know the old saying, I f a troll trolls a game that nobody cares about, did he really troll anybody? Or something along those lines L O L.

in all honesty, he brought that up because I pointed to gamrwise user scores of SMB being higher than lbp2. I did so trying to make a point that neither of user score or review score is to be trusted really

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

pezus said:
jesus fucking christ. This whole thread is basically about Mario vs. LBP.

We al know NSMB and LBP > JFC. Please, don't go off topic :P

pezus said:
jesus fucking christ. This whole thread is basically about Mario vs. LBP.

What else would it be about?  Obviously someone was goung to compare LBP to SMB when it was implied that Sony has not attempted to make a SMB style game.

The funny thing is that in the OP LBP wasn't even brought up, so those defending it are admitting that it is a copy without even knowing it.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I don't understand why people are ganging up on bananaking. The OP asked a question and bananaking gave his answer. Which is, the question doesn't make sense because Sony did make a 2D platformer with LittleBigPlanet. Sure, he thinks LittleBigPlanet is the superior game, so what? He has the right to his opinion, and if he wants to support his opinion with reviews, then he has a right to do so. If you really have a problem with people mentioning LittleBigPlanet, then you should have never entered the thread to begin with. By reading the title and getting a jist of only the premise of the thread, it's clear what the OP's purpose is, and it's even more clear what the subsequent answers will be. 

Also, doesn't matter which game is better between Mario and LittleBigPlanet. The OP did not imply that Sony's outing would have to be on par with Nintendo's outing in order to be mentioned, otherwise he would be implying that PABR is on par with SSB, which I'm sure he is not. So attacking Bananaking for saying LBP is the superior game doesn't have anything to do with the thread  (it seems more like people can't handle someone with a different opinion). The OP merely wanted to know why Sony didn't tackle the 2D platforming genre, and he responded that his question was flawed, because Sony did make a 2D platformer with LittleBigPlanet.

Quality is subjective and these games are different enough for there to be different valid opinions. On one hand, LBP scores higher, one the other hand, Mario sales more. Niether of which is an absolute indicater of quality. And niether of which are relevant at all; the OP never asked for a higher quality game. So not only has this argument been childish from the beginning; it's also both flawed and irrelevant.

LBP is a very good looking game but the thing is just not reactive. Instead of the "precision pleasure" SMB provides LBP would give a vague yet distinctive mix of floatiness, boredom and nausea

imo that LBP is eye-candy without gameplay substance and is no threat even to sub-hd Mario, which would explain why the LBP franchise is not picking up but down.

Mario is still the king, by far - and Rayman is it's closest competitor.