By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

S.Peelman said:

#25 - Resident Evil: Revelations is my Game of the Year 2012. This game blows me away. It is a handheld game, but it blows it's console brethren out of the water with ease. It stays true to it's genre, and perfects it in every detail. The bite-sized levels ('Episodes') are a perfect fit for short bursts of gaming. Graphics are unreal for a handheld game, and makes you wonder where all the supposed power went on the 3DS's competitor. The demo for this game was the thing that made me buy this game, which is for me a rarity in itself and a testament to how good it is.

#24 - ?
In this game people would get excited if you were a maniac!

Maniac Mansion?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

25. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)

Up from #27 and skipping over it's beloved predecessor is the same old Zelda, done to near perfection.  There are plenty of sidequests to keep you busy and the main storyline leads you through just about every type environment imaginable.  The twilight realm was good if not beautiful although the wolf gameplay just wasn't as fun as the rest.  The enemies in this game feel more responsive in this game than before which is a welcome change.  In addition the puzzles in the game seemed to set themselves apart from other games, primarily due to items such as the spinner and double clawshot. The end of this game was my favorite among the Zelda games I have played.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

S.Peelman said:
Scoobes said:
Clue for 24: The engine was used to create a Star Wars game that could have simply been a mod.

Quake III Arena?

Nope!

Kantor said:
Clues for 24:

We must join with them, or they shall destroy us.
Will you save them even at the cost of your own men?

Ok, didn't Saren say something along those lines? So Mass Effect?

Scoobes said:
Kantor said:
Clues for 24:

Correct and correct.

I paraphrased because quoting directly would mean that a simple google search would reveal the character and game.

The second one isn't Saren, but rather the final decision of the game.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Scoobes said:
Kantor said:
Clues for 24:

Correct and correct.

I paraphrased because quoting directly would mean that a simple google search would reveal the character and game.

The second one isn't Saren, but rather the final decision of the game.

The seconds sounds more like something Garrus says during Mass Effect 3 which confused me a little. But the first was very much Saren so I took a guess .

BasilZero said:

My #26 game is....

Donkey Kong Country was my 2nd Super Nintendo game and 2nd video game ever that I purchased! I still remember the first day I got this game and played it (sometime in the 1990s), man what an experience *_*!

I loved the gameplay, the visuals, the music, the character sprites and even the simple storyline! It was considered to be one of the first 3Dish games and even to this day looks one of the best retro wise ;p. Although its sequels have provided better quality models and such , the original DKC marks itself at the top due to the originality of the premise of the overall game and series. It also paved way making a memorable character for Nintendo (far more memorable than Link, Samus, etc imo). 

Anyways wont say much more about the game, I have recently played it and recorded it but I might do a remake since the original recordings werent in HD ;p.

Anyways I give this game a score of 7.9 out of 10.

I don't understand your scoring pattern. How can this game be a 7.9 out of 10 when I've seen games lower of your list score 9 out of 10. Not criticizing, just curious how it works?

Signature goes here!

Clue for #24:

Getting jiggy with it....again.

#24 - Jumping Flash! (PS1)

As guessed by Ganoncrotch (you're getting good at this!)  Oddly the first videogame I ever played, Jumping Flash! was - and still is - a rare beast of a first person platformer.  The sense of height you'd get from leaping in the air as Robbit, using your feet to judge landings was just incredible.  Mix in some varied stages, loads of collectable and you just have an incredibly fun game.  Going back recently, it's incredibly short by today's standards, but it's still super fun to play and I'm kind of saddened that Robbit's brand of platforming got lost in the post Mario-64 era.

Clue for my #23 - An entry in Sony's longest-running self-developed franchise, which appeared on the PSP but was ported to the PS2 - oddly - only in Europe.

31. Medieval II: Total War (PC)

Puts the "grand" in "grand strategy game". Medieval II has about a million problems, ranging from dodgy AI to broken units to fatal crashes when the computer doesn't know how to handle a given situation, but it's probably stolen more hours of my life precious than any other game because there's nothing else quite like it. Just when I'll think I've finally had enough of this game and its unending bullshit, that itch to conquer Europe will find me again.

30. Secret of Mana (SNES, iOS, not XBLA/PSN for some fucking reason)

The above picture has always left me awestruck to the point of being near tears. In that way it's pretty representative of the game itself, as Secret of Mana boasts a world that is just so huge and varied that it inspires an almost constant sense of wonder. Although it is almost relentlessly colorful and whimsical (overalls for armor, healing with magic candy, and, of course, rabites), its save-the-world storyline is definitely "Square epic" and gets surprisingly heavy at times. I was already a worshiper at the altar of Squaresoft thanks to Final Fantasy IV, but playing a Square game with a friend usually meant one person plays while the other watches. Secret of Mana's support for drop in, drop out co-op was nothing short of a revelation. (Another revelation: I only just discovered within the past year or so that the Girl actually has pointed ears! I always thought it was just her hair covering part of her ear. My head is still spinning!)

29. Mass Effect 3 (X360, PS3, PC, Wii U)

Sure, the end is shit and a terrible send off for a truly great trilogy, but the 99% of the game's content that precedes it is some of the most emotionally engaging stuff I've ever experienced from a video game. The prior two installments' worth of decisions culminated in such a way that it gave a remarkable sense of ownership to the proceedings - this was my story. I'd grown to love and depend on all these characters, and the resolution of their stories mattered to me. Bioware did not disappoint there, in many instances even exceeding my lofty expectations. Such a shame about that ending!

28. Doom (approximately every system ever)

When I was 11, what I most appreciated about Doom was its shocking ultraviolence. But as I grow older and games become increasingly like interactive movies, it's the above that makes me come to appreciate Doom more and more with each passing year.