By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Smeags said:
Hint for #28

This game features a gender-confused shadow.

Paper Mario: The Ten-Thousand Year Door

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

Semi-correct!

The Door is not that old Truck! Only 1,000.

Smeags said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Semi-correct!

The Door is not that old Truck! Only 1,000.

Oh yeah... I somehow always add that extra "Ten" to the title of this game.

Signature goes here!

30th - Super Mario World

SMW is one of the best plattformers I have played. It was very enjoyable and the world map system was a very neat idea of Nintendo. This game also introduced Yoshi, one of my favorite characters in video games. 

The gameplay was top notch and the soundtrack was catchy. I see little faults in this game, except the dificulty. The game was too easy in my opinion, however the game saw high replayability from me and I have probably clocked in more time on this game than Yoshi Island (the longer game). I can say that this is the best 2D Mario game, but not the best Mario game. You will be seeing a few 3D Mario games, on my list.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

#31. Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (NES, VC)

The real one, not the Xbox 360 game. Back in the NES days, Ninja Gaiden was as close as you'd get to a cinematic game. Between each level you were treated to cutscenes advancing the story featuring images that were quite impressive for an 8bit console. I still think they look damn good today.

Of course Ninja Gaiden wasn't all about the story, the game is a sidescroller where you play as Ruy Hayabuza fighting off demons to rescue his girlfriend Irene from the evil Ashtar. Along your way you collect power ups like throwing stars, the fire wheel or the big orange ball that shoots downward (might not be the official name). These items requires energy to use but are very useful against enemies and bosses. Then there's the coolest part of the game, the ability to get up to two clones following you and repeating your every move. When used wisely these clones can make quick work of bosses and will save your ass on multiple occassions.

Ninja Gaiden II is a very hard game where you're asked to do very precise jumps while fighting off very very evil birds (I hate them). Luckily the game doesn't limit the number of times you can continue after losing all your lives which is why I've managed to finish the game a couple of times but be advised that it requires patience and skill to get to the end without losing your mind.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

#30. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

One of the best 3D platformer ever made. Although I had feared it would be feel too similar to the first Galaxy game, the developpers at Nintendo managed to keep things fresh with incredible level design , new galaxies that made great use of both the new and old power ups and the inclusion of Yoshi. Only some returning bosses keep this game from feeling entirely new.

The game has you rescuing Peach once again but I'm starting to think this whole charade with Bowser is planned just so Mario can collect stars without anyone asking questions and he then proceeds to sell them on the lucrative stars black market giving Peach and Bowser a cut of the profits.

While searching for the game's 120 regular stars you get to fight off a giant dragon, a giant beetle, a giant mole (anything giant really), you also get to use new power ups like the Cloud Mushroom which allow you to generate three clouds giving the freedom to get very high or very far or the Rock Mushroom allowing you to become a rolling boulder knocking down all enemies in your path and getting yourself killed by flying off the ledge.

Once you're done with collecting the first 120 stars, you get to search for the Green Stars (which is much better than just redoing all the stars with Luigi like in SMG). I really enjoyed that part because it reminded me of Mario 64 where you didn't always know where you'd find your next star and some exploring was necessary.

All in all, this game is 3D platforming like only Nintendo knows how to do and it's fantastic!

Signature goes here!

#29 Hint: This game is even harder than my number #31. Very few finished this game, I've only beat it once (on my very last life).

Signature goes here!

Seeing as how the next game on my list is the most obscure one on it, I figure I'll drop a hint for it. I'd be impressed if anyone gets it. :)

The name of the game uses one word twice. 

NinjaMonkeyLuchadore said:

Seeing as how the next game on my list is the most obscure one on it, I figure I'll drop a hint for it. I'd be impressed if anyone gets it. :)

Doki Doki Panic?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
NinjaMonkeyLuchadore said:

Doki Doki Panic?

Good guess but no. 

Is yours Contra?