By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Boutros said:

My next game is an incredibly obscure and underrated PC game released in 1999 by Ubisoft and is based on a toy brand.

Hype: The time quest

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Boutros said:

My next game is an incredibly obscure and underrated PC game released in 1999 by Ubisoft and is based on a toy brand.

Yes but the question is have you played it?

Boutros said:
SangheliZealotX said:
Hint for 29: This game had a very disappointing ending. (This will probably be too easy)

Mass Effect 3 lol

Correct!

Boutros said:
SvennoJ said:
Boutros said:

Yes but the question is have you played it?

No, I wanted to at the time but never got to it. Looking at all the lego games, it was ahead of its time.

hhhmmm...I'm going to have to make a full top 50 games list now...damn...

Around the Network

30. Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

Dropping from 14th is this gravity bending Mario game (basically because when games get sequels I become less likely to want to play the original).  With Mario blasting off into space it was fair to wonder if they've finally stretched things a little thin but the result was wonderful.  The solid platforming experiences of Mario continued and there were plenty of levels to keep you busy, happy, frustrated, and coming back for more.  The jump to space means the addition of selectively working gravity, but since it is consistent in its behavior and a lot of fun, the lack of realism does nothing to hurt the game.  The powerups in the game were well crafted and used as a requirement rather than an aid.  Aside from the bee powerup I found the rest to be fun to play with and having a lot to add to the gameplay.  The levels were good and the goals in each would tend to vary from standard platforming to more minigame type levels (perhaps this is my frustration with the rolling ball speaking out).  Add in the prankster comments which force you to repeat a level with no conditions thrown in and you get another layer of depth.  After beating the game you can play as Luigi who slides around a little more.  In many ways Luigi's gameplay feels like what I wanted the whole game to be.  Truly, I had fun in this game just from the chances to use planet gravity to hop around.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

Clue for #29:

This PS1 game was the first in the series to feature usable vehicles.

29. Grim Fandango (PC)

Grim Fandango was a commercial failure, which is a terrible shame, as it's a game that truly deserved to be played by more people. If you've ever played and enjoyed Monkey Island or anything like that, then you will probably love Grim Fandango as well. You play as Manny Calavera, who is an agent for the Department of Death, and over the course of the game you uncover a conspiracy within the department focused on denying people their rightful passage into the afterlife. It isn't without its flaws, as the controls can be a little awkward at times, as you'll be trying to interact with something and the game will take a while to let you, but that doesn't detract from the overall experience.

Number 28 is an N64 slobberknocker.

VGChartz

29. Super Smash Bros., N64 (1999) Nintendo/HAL Labs (last year 28)

Ahh Super Smash Brothers. Here was the only game (aside possibly from Sonic The Fighters) to break past my utter disdain for the fighting genre, and its sequels only grew in my heart. It's not about the Nintendo characters (though they certainly lend to the charm), but about making fighting games fun and accessible, without actually losing depth. Not the last time this series appears on this list. Mains: Kirby, Ness, Luigi

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Number 28 was the first time that this once-flagship franchise went multiplat, releasing a few months before the Xbox and PS2 versions on GameCube, the PS2 version was notably inferior

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.