By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year COMPILED 2008 to 2013 (7th Gen)

I find it funny that the Gotys arent in most cases the hightest rated game of each year

Around the Network

i think the whole discussion is not very useful for years now. if you look at metacritics or gamerankings i believe the 360 has more good games above 75% or whatever someone wants to count as good, the ps3 has more goty awards because of more exclusives which got a very very high rating so i think in my opinion you could say, if you buy "many" games, maybe 50-100 per console or even more included multi-plats which were often better for 360 in the first years, the 360 could be maybe better for you (it's obviously better to play the better version), if you buy less games and play only the best (and some even play only exclusives), the ps3 could be better for you.

that obviously depends also because of other factors (which contoller is for me very important) and also which kind of games you prefer because as example racing games don't even get really mentioned but for some they are as important as rpg's or ego-shooters but just in general without looking at costs or whatever i think both consoles with their games have the right to get called as good as the other one just maybe for different people and i think if that wouldn't be the case one console would have sold much more as the other one. people don't buy 360 and ps3 if only the ps3 or 360 would be better for all, i don't really believe that.

and for someone like me, both consoles have to be owned.

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
lmao at best graphics. I guess they aren't including PC because this lacking Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2, Crysis is pretty sad. For consoles I'd agree but they are still way behind PC

Console gamers want something to argue about . Can't do that if PC games are included

lol sadly that is true it seems haha  Still though  The games I mentioned all look better than anything on this list. Not saying anything against them as all of them are phenomenal looking console games, and they were also good games.  Especially uncharted 2 and MGS4, still though to exclude the games i mentioned, that's kind of crap.  As far as GoTY games, both MGS4 and Uncharted 2 deserved them.  

Wow, just read the comments in this thread. People really arguing over exclusives.....All three consoles have great exclusives, get the f**k over it.

PS3

Uncharted
Metal Gear Solid 4
God of War 3

X360

Halo
Gears of War
Forza

Wii

Mario
Zelda
Super Smash Bros

Can anybody honestly tell me any of those games are bad? Get over yourselves.

sales2099 said:

I wonder how long 360 gamers will get 2009 rammed down our throats lol. 360 won 2010 in games, PS3 won 2011 in games, and 360 is winning 2012.

Live in the now :)

You had to bring negative bipartisan view into the thread. Everyone was more or less happy and trying to remember fond memories they had with the games listed in the thread. You just had to :(

Around the Network

I have to admit that I AM surprised Halo Reach didn't make the 2010 cut.

d21lewis said:

Ehh, Halo 3 was so much better.  Them getting rid of the Battle Rifle was a huge mistake.  People wasn't too fond ofbloom either.  Still great game, but over-all I think Halo 3 and 2 was both better than reach in every category

JayWood2010 said:
d21lewis said:

Ehh, Halo 3 was so much better.  Them getting rid of the Battle Rifle was a huge mistake.  People wasn't too fond ofbloom either.  Still great game, but over-all I think Halo 3 and 2 was both better than reach in every category

Looking at the source (and a very well made and respected source, I might add!), Halo 3 wouldn't have made the cut, either.

This study lacks methodological rigor. There are bias in some of the sites (PC World's list was PC heavy). Handhelds were not supposed to be included (PC World's list included 3DS games). And most importantly, not all sites are equal but they are treated equally in this analysis.

That being said, it would be interesting to see this redone with a standardized sampling frame (selected prominent websites, publications, etc.).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Yeah, I guess the guy doing the compiling on that blog site (aka: the source of this thread) could have been a bit more fair. It sort of reminds me of the site I used to see used a lot on this site called "Facts Vs. Fanboys". It did a comparison between systems but it omitted multi-plats, Kinect games, games below 70% on Metacritic, Digital Games, etc. It all comes down to the picture that the author wants to paint.

But, this is Aldro's thread. This is what we have to work with, today. Maybe tomorrow, somebody will make a "Best selling game 2007-2012" thread or a "Highest Metacritic Ranking 2006-2012" or something. Heck, maybe we could just pick 10 random sites that cover all games/consoles (IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid, Games Radar, 1UP, etc.) and have a "10 most influential sites GotY 2006-2012" thread.  "Best digital games"?  "Best Motion Control games"?  Who knows what people will come up with. It's all about what we want to show, right?