By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year COMPILED 2008 to 2013 (7th Gen)

@leo sry but vanilla crysis on the highest settings with all that awesome draw distance and so on is still good and not okay and back then it destroyed everything technique wise. just check cgi's vanilla crysis steam pics and steam pics have an awful quality.

consoles could be happy to even run that in 1080p.

Around the Network

I like it. Wouldn't mind seeing the whole gen up there instead of just '08, though.

Going by this this tread and the way the media has clinged to PS3 since 2008, you would think the PS3 is the best selling console for the last 4 years.

Alas its not, and public disagree.

Played most the PS3 has to offer in exclusive field in that list. And many are overated by the media. Ive yet to feel the need to finish some of them yet.

selnor said:
Going by this this tread and the way the media has clinged to PS3 since 2008, you would think the PS3 is the best selling console for the last 4 years.

Alas its not, and public disagree.

Played most the PS3 has to offer in exclusive field in that list. And many are overated by the media. Ive yet to feel the need to finish some of them yet.

Sales =/= Quality of a game.

This is a top 5 based upon critics that play more games than you and I will ever do combined possibly.

This is their opinion and while media is inconsistant in MANY things, you are not exactly any better when it comes to overrating things

(In my opinion ofcourse. ive played a bunch of those games you hold dearly and find them severely mediocre. just wanted to make my voice heard just like you so deliberately voiced your opinion. Ive had a lot of 360 titles for instance that I for the life of me couldnt finish. It was just too damn dull for me. Each to his own I suppose, and we can clearly tell what the media seems to favour in terms of video games. Thats in the end what this is all about and not about your own personal list).

I own every game in the OP except:

• Fallout 3
  • Skyrim
  • Portal 2

To this day, I haven't finished:

• Assassin's Creed 2 (had it for years)
  • GTA 4 (day 1 purchase)
  • Dragon Age Origins (two years)

One question, though:  What was the point in the "Exclusives with 5 points for X, four points for Y" thingy?  Why not 100 points for first, 50 points for second, 17 points for third, etc? Or just keep it at the PS3:6, Wii:2, 360:1 bulletpoint that you already have?  The 15, 2, 1 thing you have just seems....pointless.  I'm just saying.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I own every game in the OP except:

• Fallout 3
  • Skyrim
  • Portal 2

To this day, I haven't finished:

• Assassin's Creed 2 (had it for years)
  • GTA 4 (day 1 purchase)
  • Dragon Age Origins (two years)

One question, though:  What was the point in the "Exclusives with 5 points for X, four points for Y" thingy?  Why not 100 points for first, 50 points for second, 17 points for third, etc? Or just keep it at the PS3:6, Wii:2, 360:1 bulletpoint that you already have?  The 15, 2, 1 thing you have just seems....pointless.  I'm just saying.

17 points for the third feels.. weird XD? Iuno I just chose 5 4 3 2 1

The 6 2 1 is simply making the list and doesnt really say just how.. up in the list they are :P

Like making it in the 5th place usually means oh yeah it got some awards nice. but being on the 1st place -> you can expect a lot of attention or like ND's case, expand!

It actually tells you how useless these awards are. I am not a big fan of metacritic either, but you might guess that they are connected somehow. How can the best game ever reviewed (EVER!) come in 2nd / 3rd in the same year?

Where is Forza Motorsports 3 in 2009? Dragon Age Origins, MW2 - really?

It is almost as pointless as E3 awards - E3 2009: The last Guardian won awards and it was just a trailer with no gameplay and the game is already pushed to 2014.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
It actually tells you how useless these awards are. I am not a big fan of metacritic either, but you might guess that they are connected somehow. How can the best game ever reviewed (EVER!) come in 2nd / 3rd in the same year?

Where is Forza Motorsports 3 in 2009? Dragon Age Origins, MW2 - really?

It is almost as pointless as E3 awards - E3 2009: The last Guardian won awards and it was just a trailer with no gameplay and the game is already pushed to 2014.

Well MW2 was like THE game to make people start to go on a hate rampage :P. It did recieve a 94 meta and was well recieved at first. Hell I enjoyed it sadly xD

Origins was a pretty good game on the PC (Like >90 meta even).

So yeah, Meta and the awards are connected in such a way that the critics rate the games and get them up in meta. Then obviously they pick their favourite games as GOTY which will reflect in the score MOST of the time.

GTA IV is indeed special. Getting 98 and still not 1st spot :P. I cant for the life of me understand that. 2008 and 2011 were both insane years though. I suppose a lot of personal taste matters too obviously, hence why Forza 3 for instance isnt there. Not too many driving fans in the media. Or the genre as a whole needs more innovation? I dont know! xD

i think the problem with high rated movies or games is often that this doesn't mean people have more fun with it and that this high quality can be even a reason why many prefer some simpler stuff (not only because of the lack of intelligence)

even big transformers fans should know that other movies are better in many aspects but they still have more fun watching that in the cinema with friends as they have with highly critical acclaimed movies.

same with something like cod or mario kart, it lacks in some aspects but more people have fun to play cod or mario kart with or against friends/randoms as they have in playing heavy rain.

i mean, could mario kart win the most goty awards? i don't think so but thete is maybe no console game on this planet which gives more people a great time.

Portal 2 sure got a few goty awards. It was great, but I enjoyed Skyrim, Batman, and Uncharted over it. Still, 2011 was a great year.