By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Supply passes demand!?

vanguardian1 said:

Super Paper Mario can be considered a big game if you're a fan of games from Nintendo's "Intelligent Systems" group. (I know I am!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Systems

Yes but in terms of Nintendo / and Wii sales I don't believe this to be a big game in the Wii lineup, and Nintendo don't either because it is a 'filler' game.  Doesn't mean it isn't a GOOD game but don't expect sales to boost any more or less because of this game, people who own a Wii already will be the people buying this game, people won't buy a Wii for this game.

I wouldn't put it in the top five for Wii for this year.

Around the Network
OriGin said:
vanguardian1 said:

Super Paper Mario can be considered a big game if you're a fan of games from Nintendo's "Intelligent Systems" group. (I know I am!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Systems

Yes but in terms of Nintendo / and Wii sales I don't believe this to be a big game in the Wii lineup, and Nintendo don't either because it is a 'filler' game.  Doesn't mean it isn't a GOOD game but don't expect sales to boost any more or less because of this game, people who own a Wii already will be the people buying this game, people won't buy a Wii for this game.

I wouldn't put it in the top five for Wii for this year.

150K in Japan and NA its first weeks, we have to see if second week sales hold up, if they do, we could be looking at another million seller in Wii's stable

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Kwaad said:

Actually nintendo launched their niche game of 2007 last week...

Fixed. ;)

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Staticneuron - No, the supply went up to 15% on friday/saturday, and then it dropped to 11% for a few hours on sunday, and has been climbing since then.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Just because it's a million seller at this stage of the year doesn't mean much.  Players are dying for good games, and this is there to quench their thirst.  I don't know if it will make 1 million, in fact I kind of doubt it, but we shall see.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
Staticneuron - No, the supply went up to 15% on friday/saturday, and then it dropped to 11% for a few hours on sunday, and has been climbing since then.

hmm.... I haven't been watching. I would still wait till supply is above 50% at least to say that initial demand has died down.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Maybe we need to start doing hourly updates for the PS3? It moved from 93% to 92%, it must be selling like hotcakes.

Increased stock soon after Nintendo promised increased shipments! Maybe finally Wii can stop outselling PS3 by that piddly little 2:1. Now we'll finally know what sales look like when 1 in 5 stores has any inventory at all!

</troll>

Super Paper Mario should have little trouble reaching 1 million, methinks. I'm interested to see whether Rayman or SPM will reach the mark first.

Rayman has sold 450K in NA, plus it fairly consistently ranks in gamasutra's platform-specific top 5's for the UK, and platform-specific top 10 for Australia. SPM should get the first 600-700K fairly quickly, and then take a few more months to reach 1mil.

After that, there's Pokemon Battle and Mario Party 8. Lots of eventual million sellers.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

TalonMan said:

OMG!!! The DS Lite is at 37% - it's a miserable failure!!! Nobody wants the DS Lite anymore!!! KWAAD, YOU WERE SO RIGHT!!!!

Yup and the Ipod is at 51%, a total failure, I can't believe Apple even tries anymore

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

staticneuron said:

hmm.... I haven't been watching. I would still wait till supply is above 50% at least to say that initial demand has died down.

Yeah if thePS3 was an example of what happend when supply passed demand... the Wii avalibility will skyrocket to 70% in another week or so.

Main reason is, the way stuff is distributed. It goes from a massive distribution center... to the stores that NEED them the most. So really that means When the Wii stops selling out in 20% of regions, that means the rest of the country get 20% more from each shipment, thus a chain reaction happens, and almost overnight, supply is met.

Also, on e-bay, including shipping Wiis are selling for around 320$. Down from 350-380 on saturday. Let's see here in a few days how that is as well, as that is a good view on 'demand'. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!