By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Supply passes demand!?

Hey. This is like the nth time Kwaad has started a thread about itracker Wii %. Back in Feb he was all crazy about 18%.

Back in January when the PS3's ebay price was near its retail prices was when it was obvious that supply had met demand, and shortly after people noticed this in stores while they were hunting a Wii.

At this time Ebay is approaching that for Wii. I see about 8 with only a few mins left in the $300-$350 range with no bids. I see another 20 or so at the $250-$280 range with many bids. This leads me to beleive that the Wii is finally coming to normalization. But the key is where will it level off? The PS3 seems to be leveling off in the 50k range/month in Japan and 150k range in NA. That's 200k/month for 2 regions. Whereas the Wii has been more than that in any of it regions thus far at its lowest sales. I think Wii can keep a near 1m/month sales worldwide through summer whereas the PS3 won't reach 400k worldwide until November.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

NFreak - the fact that the console has remained sold out. Let me give an example.

10million people want a flipper...

The company that makes the flipper makes 1million/month.

On average each month 10 *more* people want the flipper.

It will remain sold out for 10 months, with a 1million/month production.

After 10 months, only 10 people want it a month. So that means they are producing 999,990 more units/month.

So in 10 months, they will have sold 10million units.

in 11 months, they would have sold... 10,000,100 units.

This is highly exagurated numbers. But I feel the wii is in a similar boat.

It's not Doom and gloom. It's facts, that I beleive. Normally I word stuff like. "Has it finally met demand." not. "The Wii met demand and is gonna fail."

I just want good games, that are worth playing. That's all I want. I dont give a damn what console.

So you think had demand been met in february PS3 would be outselling Wii by now?

Kwaad said:

NFreak - the fact that the console has remained sold out. Let me give an example.

After 10 months, only 10 people want it a month. So that means they are producing 999,990 more units/month.

It's not Doom and gloom. It's facts, that I beleive. Normally I word stuff like. "Has it finally met demand." not. "The Wii met demand and is gonna fail."

I just want good games, that are worth playing. That's all I want. I dont give a damn what console.

So if Wii is keep going passe demand and break 10 millions, 20 millions even go to 100 millions ? Do you have any solid evidence to prove it ? or just your strange thought ? We all know you love Sony but your poor quality post didn't put any credit to Sony Playstation product. In return, some might going to hate Playstation product because of your post.

You know guys, when you respond to Kwaad, even to show how monumentally stupid some of his arguments are, you validate him. You gratify him. You should all be ashamed of yourself. You're all Kwaad enablers.

Oh sure, it happens to the best of us, even I fall for it from time to time. But we need to admit that we have a problem, so that we can start to deal with it. Because there are two Kwaads. The Kwaad with a good sense of humour that makes for a fun off topic thread, and there's the Evil Kwaad- or Kwaad Kwaad- that constantly lashes out, seeking attention like a misbehaved child. We have only ourselves to blame people... well... us and Kwaad. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

OriGin said:
Kwaad said:

So you think had demand been met in february PS3 would be outselling Wii by now?

I never said that. I'm just saying. Monthly sales usually have a durastic drop-off once supply exceeds demand. Becuase of the Wii's new control type, there could be 100 million people worldwide that wanted one on launch, and now over time that number could actually be going DOWN. Now that most people who wanted one, has one, the demand will drop to 'new' people who want one.

That is the number that matters. Like everyone but the nintendo side has said for months. As long as it is sold out, you can tell NOTHING about it's sales. (other than ALOT of people want it, yesterday)

Once anyone can go to the store and pick it up, and everyone who wanted to go to the store and pick it up, has it... what will that mean? Will there be 1 million new people/month to want this console?

Becuase if they can sell 1+million on a may, with wii units sitting on most store shelves, the Wii is likely to be selling 20-40million/year and become the first console pass the 200million mark.

EDIT: It's the way stores work.

stof - basically right, however I defend myself because I create a flame-bait thread, and let everyone lash out at me. However I get my theory out, people see it, and quite a few lurkers around here thnk alot of the nintendo group are crazy. One of the worst is in my signature. I've got messages from like 5 guys about how funny my signature is.

But I am not saying the Wii will fail, and PS3 weekly sales will pass it. I'm just saying... what everyone who understands the market understands. When the people who were going to the store every-day to find one, get them. Alot of people will either have them, or not want them. I have seen alot of people with general hatred for the Wii. It really amazes me how many Pro-Wii people are here, becuase other than here, I would say it's around 50/50. Pro Wii, or Anti-Wii. And it seems the Pro Wii group is loosing their push. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

I've never said that I don't agree with your sentiments, but I think it's not a continued demand from the beginning of the year, I think it's that, plus a different type of ongoing demand.  If it was only the people who wanted it at the start of the year then Nintendo would be in trouble, but it is continuing to broaden sales and sales on an on-going basis are going to stay higher than the 250k a month in the US you see currently.  It isn't going to have a sharp drop off like you believe, but we will see with the numbers.

You've done this MANY times about the end of the Wii 'fad' is nigh because of itrackr going up... we'll see, I also want Wii to become back in stock to see what the REAL demand is for it in the long term... please refer to my first post in this thread for my opinion on the general issue.  I disagree with your general vibe towards the Wii though, and the 50/50 anti pro sentiments are in your closed group, who are also very PRO HD according to your other posts.

I doubt you are baiting at me because I'm not Pro Nintendo I'm just a realist and it shits me when people (either party) skew things one way or another to suit their personal agenda.

Ths is about the Wii. The PS3 sales SUCK. When the PS3 was selling out... You could have said the same thing. It's sales dropped like a rock. Just like the 360... just like the PS2 did originally, just like the GameCube, X-box, N64, PS1, DreamCast, SNES, NES... Or any other console ever launched. Do you think the Wii will follow that trend... or be the first console to *ever* break that trend?

I just dont like the way the Wii is heading, and I'm more than happy to point out, when bad things happen to it, becuase the success of the Wii will destroy what I love.

I do NOT like PC games. I was hoping for this generation of consoles to basically take out the PC side of games. If the Wii wins this generation, the PC will become the dominate mature game platform agian. And that is *BAD*. I feel. I feel that if the Wii wins, it will effect my gameing experience, in a negative way. If the 360, or PS3 wins, it will effect it in a positive way.

I am anti-microsoft.
I am Pro PS3 (not sony)
I am neutral Nintendo.
I am Anti Wii.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Instead of saying 'this is about Wii' you should have said 'this is about Mii'.

What way is the Wii heading that it hasn't been heading since it's conception?

Sorry but the first console to break that trend *ever* was the DS. It's still more demand than supply. FACT

Legend11 said:

@DonWii

You don't drive an American car so you don't play an American console? Exactly what do cars and consoles have to do with each other? Kinda crazy that the only reason you could come up with for dissing the 360 is that there's an American company behind it. Why not come up with something equally idiotic like you don't like the letter "X"?

Do you also not watch American tv shows and movies, you don't read American made books and magazines, and don't go to American websites? Where does the anti-Americanism you have stop? By the way where're you from?

Ok, off topic but i think its a lot more interesting than the actual topic: =)

From a eurocentric (and in my case scandinavian) point of view we do love american software (and films, books etc). We are not so impressed with american hardware, we really do prefer european or asian manufacturers. And thats what cars and consoles has to do with each other. I guess.

Kwaad said:

Ths is about the Wii. The PS3 sales SUCK. When the PS3 was selling out... You could have said the same thing. It's sales dropped like a rock. Just like the 360... just like the PS2 did originally, just like the GameCube, X-box, N64, PS1, DreamCast, SNES, NES... Or any other console ever launched. Do you think the Wii will follow that trend... or be the first console to *ever* break that trend?

I just dont like the way the Wii is heading, and I'm more than happy to point out, when bad things happen to it, becuase the success of the Wii will destroy what I love.

I do NOT like PC games. I was hoping for this generation of consoles to basically take out the PC side of games. If the Wii wins this generation, the PC will become the dominate mature game platform agian. And that is *BAD*. I feel. I feel that if the Wii wins, it will effect my gameing experience, in a negative way. If the 360, or PS3 wins, it will effect it in a positive way.

I am anti-microsoft.
I am Pro PS3 (not sony)
I am neutral Nintendo.
I am Anti Wii.

Why are you anti-PC? (i.e. MS)??

I believe the next series of PC's are going to destroy both the PS3/360 in terms of graphics (mind you, they may also cost 4x or more). 

The Wii is already breaking that "trend" - for three main reasons:

i) It launched with a *real* killer-app (Wii Sports)

ii) It is supply restricted

iii) Is the first console to REALLY appeal to non-gamers

Now (ii) may seem a little silly... but it does result in more consistant sales, over a longer period of time - rather than selling a HEAP at once - then stopping suddenly. This gives Nintendo a chance to ready more software, and keep the sales strong.

Yes - I do think the Wii will buck the trend (although Im not sure I ever believed the PS2 followed that trend anyway). By this Xmas, there will be so many reasons to own one - it will set itself up for the future.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099