By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which of the big three consoles manufactures put the most big name devs out of business this gen?

lilbroex said:
Sal.Paradise said:

You don't understand me Lilbro, I'm weeping for all the poor Wii teams that will experience the big cost jump and go out of business, because their dev costs on the Wii were so much lower than the PS360's. Now they'll have to sell even more units on the Wii U to make a profit, than devs had to on PS360 :( 

I just posted this.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/19/3170432/ubisoft-says-wii-u-development-cost-not-a-huge-investment-plans-more

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250486/darksiders-ii-lead-desgner-wii-u-easier-to-develop-for/

There is also the thread I posted from the ME3 porter stating how easy the Wii U is to code for. The complexitiies are what make cost high, not system strength.

The Wii U is both stronger than the PS3/360 and way easier/cheaper to develop for. Nintendo stated last year that their goal was to make the Wii U as easy to program for as the Wii. Remarks from dev very this as being true.

You're twisting facts left and right.

The quote says "Technically, it’s one of the easier platforms to develop for". Xbox 360 was very easy too, so all your statements about the WiiU not killing any studios will be wrong, since according to your logic, the 360 is guilty of that charge.

The other link says that 6 of 8 games are cheap because they are ports. The two other ones being cheaper than games from proven best seller franchises like Assassin's Creed and Ghost Recon. That's incredibly obvious.

Around the Network
killerzX said:
Barozi said:
Kresnik said:

I completely understand where you're coming from saying this and I'm sure it's possible that TS4 would've been bigger than I expected it to be, I just personally think it wouldn't happen.  There was already a pseudo-FPS-boom last generation (like you point out: Halo, but other stuff like Medal of Honor as well), yet Timesplitters continued to skirt around mostly-average sales.  

Apparently T2 managed 1.7 million sales across 3 platforms - which isn't bad and does show potential, but with the release of Modern Warfare and the shift in design of FPS', I think Timesplitters would have trouble keeping up.  Again, I absolutely adore the series, but the design is dated (which is what I love about it).  It's totally conceivable that TS could have been redesigned to fit in with the Call of Duty crowd, but if that happened then it would pretty much cease to be Timesplitters.  It might as well be Haze or any other knock-off 'serious' shooter.  And if it did release as a proper sequel following the original design, I imagine it would have done similarly to something like Unreal Tournament 3, another game of dated design:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=unreal+tournament+III&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Decent enough (1 million across PS360), but not enough to turn a profit.

Gears of War costed $20m to make.
Unreal Tournament III was basically a multiplayer only game (thus much cheaper), which was developed and released for PC first and then ported later to PS3 and then 360.

They certainly made money with the console versions.

actually i think gears of war 1 cost closer to $10 million to make.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/27009224epic sure knows how to make quality while cheap games.

epic sure knows how to keep a low budget while making a quality game

haha damn thanks. I always thought Gears was $20m but it was only $10m and Gears 2 only $12m.

Kresnik said:
Barozi said:

Gears of War costed $20m to make.
Unreal Tournament III was basically a multiplayer only game (thus much cheaper), which was developed and released for PC first and then ported later to PS3 and then 360.

They certainly made money with the console versions.

Shush, I was trying to use it to illustrate a point about game design, not development costs!  Don't you have pre-order charts to be fixing!?

Also that's great and all about Gears of War, but what did it have to do with my post?

Both UT3 and GeoW are made by Epic. Therefore explaining why UT3 was a rather cheap project.

Most of those were small studios that would of went out of business anyway.

lilbroex said:

"http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Wii"

It costs around 1/4th as much to make a Wii game that it does to make a game on other consoles. This means that games that would normally be considered too risky or unprofitable to get made can be developed, and the makers of games like Monster Hunter Tri, Sonic Colors and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories have acknowledged that. In fact, there are game genres that are nearly extinct on other consoles (such as 3D platformers) that survive on the Wii for this reason.

Boom Shakalaka

Also

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/the-average-wii-game-costs-5-7-million-to-make--4122.html

Doesn't matter now though since the Wii U is HD i guess those stats are irrelevant. 

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:

Doesn't matter now though since the Wii U is HD i guess those stats are irrelevant. 

Title reads "this gen". Reported!

killerzX said:
lilbroex said:
Kresnik said:
lilbroex said:

You are truncating the facts. I call foul. I said 150-300k for the average game.

Top quality developments(with the few there were) gnerally needed around 500k.

You didn't actually.  In fact, you said exactly the opposite.  Go check your post again.

"For a A+ quality games on the PS3, the developement costs are so high that a million seller isn't even enough to break even.

On the other hand, dev costs on the Wii were so low that even you only needed to 150-300k sells to make a profit."

Pretty sure that's a comparison of A+ quality games on PS3 to A+ quality games on Wii, since you didn't mention anywhere that you were talking about 'average' games on Wii.  And if you were, then why on earth would you make that comparison?  Why not compare like-for-like?  (i.e. average game on Wii to average game on PS3)

But that's okay.  Don't just accept by apology and move on, feel free to just start yet another argument.

You lost me. How did I say the oppostie?

A+ games on the PS3 cost upwards of 50 million(games like GT4, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain)

the Naughty Dog said uncharted 1-2 cost $20 million to make. Gears of war 1 and 2 cost something like $10-$20 million to make.

Heavy rain, was a very small budget game, made by a very small studio, with not much of a track record. it was only expected to sell around 500k. so it probably cost less than $10 million to make.

GT4? do you mean GTA4 or GT5?. GTA IV cost like $100 million to make. incredible expensive, and it sold a ton, like 30 million plus lots of DLC.. GT5 cost $60 million to make also extremely expensive. but it has sold over 13 million (GT5+ GT5 prologue), and a couple million DLCs. so also very profitable.

Sources

I find it hard to believe that they said they both cost the same amount given how different they were in design and scale.

I didn't know Gears of War was made for the PS3.

Sony just to annoy fanboys but I only if the workers got other jobs just as good or better than the ones they would lose.

Sal.Paradise said:
lilbroex said:

You lost me. How did I say the oppostie?

A+ games on the PS3 cost upwards of 50 million(games like GT4, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain)

I'm sorry but that's absolute rubbish, there are only 5-10 videogames in existence that cost 50 million or above (or slightly below) to make and one of them is Shenmue on the dreamcast, one is APB a pc game, two of them are Two Human and Halo 3, 360 games. 

Find me a source that says Uncharted 2 or Heavy Rain cost anywhere near that much to make. (You can't) 

In an interview with someone from Silicon Knights, they said that Too Human was around $30m or $35m. Can't quite remember but it was much lower than the rumored budget and certainly lower than $50m.

EDIT: and you're certainly right about the rest.

Nintendo because they could not convince 3rd parties to put games on Wii to survive!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(