By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Kinect: Why it failed to do what it was supposed to do even though it was successful

oniyide said:

No man, I mean REAL analyst. Not Patcher, he is a clown. I mean people who are actually right at least half the time, not forum celebs.

And the last part of that post was so nonsensical I didnt even take it seriously

Can't really say I'm aware of any lol. Pachter is the most quoted though. Probably because websites use his quotes for hits.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

Around the Network

it wasn't successful and it did fail. people on this website need to realize sales is the FURTHEST thing from a measure of success. all that matters is its what people want/don't want and talk about/don't talk about.

No one says anything good about kinect, no one ever goes OMG GOING TO GET KINECT FOR THAT GAME. Kinect failed to deliver the promises and hopefully MS will learn from their mistakes.

usrevenge said:
it wasn't successful and it did fail. people on this website need to realize sales is the FURTHEST thing from a measure of success. all that matters is its what people want/don't want and talk about/don't talk about.

No one says anything good about kinect, no one ever goes OMG GOING TO GET KINECT FOR THAT GAME. Kinect failed to deliver the promises and hopefully MS will learn from their mistakes.

That is the biggest load of crap I have heard or seen in a long, long time. Anyone in the business world will tell you sales are pretty much the second most important measure of success (right after profit).

pokoko said:
What Microsoft did very successfully was to sell people on the potential of Kinect. Remember that infamous promotional video with the kid scanning his skateboard and the girl trying on clothes virtually? Borderline deceptive but also very clever. People were thinking that this kind of thing would be in the near future for the Kinect device.

I'm pretty sure I've read a story here on VGC that a clothing store chain is using Kinects for that exact reason.

pokoko said:
What Microsoft did very successfully was to sell people on the potential of Kinect. Remember that infamous promotional video with the kid scanning his skateboard and the girl trying on clothes virtually? Borderline deceptive but also very clever. People were thinking that this kind of thing would be in the near future for the Kinect device.

The reality is much more mundane. It turns out that Microsoft was unable to evolve the current version very much though software. Some of the ideas they got people excited over, it turns out Kinect sucks at. They just weren't able to do these things without causing frustration, which is the bane of entertainment. However, there are some things Kinect does very well, such as dance and fitness games, and I think that was the saving grace for the device.

There's a lot of software that lets you scan 3D models of stuff with Kinect.  My daughter scanned her stuffed animal into a game over a year ago.

Around the Network

the 360 was not good enough for the Kinect, people have done much better with Kinect on PCs since PCs have more horse power.

Kinect/Move fail because they weren't standard, they were peripherals.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Kinect is just terrible and a complete rip off. it never was the future of gaming, it doesn't work. And I doubt it helped the Wii to lose sales, the wii novelty wore out by itself, as those who wanted one got one in the end

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

My verdict after reading this thread? Wait until Kinect 2.0 and the Xbox 3. What they did with what was essentially at the time ancient technology was pretty impressive but it still doesn't compare to a ground up implementation with the confidence that they can fully fund it and expect a good rate of return for their investment.

More power.
More resolution.
Better fit for the environment.
Experience.

They should have all four of these for their next try. I don't expect them to put Kinect into every console but I am reasonably confident they can drive Wii Fit like sales/importance for the device, probably more given the flexibility and possibilities.

Tease.

oniyide said:
spurgeonryan said:
oniyide said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

So... Kinect's goal was to slow down the Wii's sales, but it failed to accomplish this goal since Nintendo killed the Wii before Kinect had the chance to kill it?

I thought it was just me. I dont think Kinect was ever going to slow down the Wii or Im sure that was never MS attention. They probably wanted to get some of that dance demograph and they did get them. In terms of games, if anyone thought that it was going to work well with anything but dancing and mingame comps was getting too high

Same can be said for the Wiimote. Who would have known that it would help the Wii sell close to 100 million units.

no it cant, there was no competition for the Wiimote in regards to what it was doing and bringing to the table. Sure there was eyetoy for PS2 but that was in the last gen, Sony had already trounced the other two, so they didnt really push it (didnt need too). Kinect (and Move) were kind of late to the party. 

I thought the Wii was last gen, and the PS2 was still selling so yes the Wii had competition. It just wouldn't have stopped the Wii regardless.