By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPGs versus JRPGs, or: My mis-adventures in KOTOR

Scoobes said:
darkknightkryta said:

May I ask which "JRPGs"?  Except for Star Ocean 3 and Final Fantasy XII, that I've played, all my inventory was filled with healing items, current armour, or items used to enhance weapons/armour/stats  (Which doesn't make them useless FYI).

Nearly every Final Fantasy game since the SNES days (possibly before but I never played I-III for any decent length of time), Grandia 1 & 2, Xenoblade Chronicles and StarOcean 3 (never played 4 and I only vaguely remember 1 & 2). I mean, just take FFVIII for instance. You collect a range of items in the game, but for large portions I didn't even bother having the item command in battle as I could get by based on Junctioned magic. Actually, at the end of most Final Fantasy games I had a whole host of useless items I never needed to use because I either had an equivalent spell or a more powerful/useful ability already available. The items I actually used (healing potions, elixirs, ethers, heroes etc.) were the very items I would be short of or at the very least tactically rationing. Not to mention that most weapons and armour are useless after a short period anyway.

I make the same argument for the likes of Mass Effect 1, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age. The problem isn't something that's exclusive to one sub-genre of RPGs. There's also the argument of how the RPGs organise items. Few manage to get an intuitive system together. They usually just boil down to edited/sorted lists or in the worst case scenario, something resembling an Excel spreadsheet.

Now, I could say the likes of the Deus Ex series or Mass Effect 2 & 3 are examples of WRPGs getting inventory systems right, but that wouldn't be very representative.

Funny you mention FInal Fantasy 8 cause every item has some kind of purpose, like giving str+20% to your GF, teaching Quistis limit breaks.  There's nothing in that game that's sole purpose is to be sold for money (Cause you can't).  All the Final Fantasies bar 12 use items as some kind of enhancement to something.  And I agree, Mass Effect 2& 3 get it right, but then again they removed most of it (Which I agree with).

Around the Network

This is a pretty silly conversation. There is no "JRPG" or "WRPG" genres, W - refers to western and J - refers to Japan; these are geographical locations, not something that should be included in the name of a genre; it is irrational to label a genre as "JRPG" or "WRPG".

In addition, there was no term as "JRPG" until after the release of Knights of the old Republic, and it was mostly invented by fans of that game as a negative label to disparage more popular titles like Final Fantasy. The term "WRPG" was just a backlash to this.

What you should be talking about are console RPGs which use lighter more console friendly mechanics vs PC RPGs which use the more complex keyboard and mouse friendly mechanics; in addition PC style RPGs usually focus on a more sandbox style world while Console style RPGs focus on storylines and character development due to the differences - these definitions have been around since the 80's; and are much more accurate, because both Western and Japanese game developers make console and of style RPGs. In Japan, the genre of console RPG is broken down further into turn-based RPGs, Strategy RPG, and Action RPGs, Roguelike RPGs, and Tactical RPGs; and even those are broken down a little further or have hybrid forms - I.e. while Chrono Trigger, Lunar, and Skies of Arcadia are turn based RPGs, they also bring in light strategy elements to varying degrees.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

darkknightkryta said:
Scoobes said:
darkknightkryta said:

May I ask which "JRPGs"?  Except for Star Ocean 3 and Final Fantasy XII, that I've played, all my inventory was filled with healing items, current armour, or items used to enhance weapons/armour/stats  (Which doesn't make them useless FYI).

Nearly every Final Fantasy game since the SNES days (possibly before but I never played I-III for any decent length of time), Grandia 1 & 2, Xenoblade Chronicles and StarOcean 3 (never played 4 and I only vaguely remember 1 & 2). I mean, just take FFVIII for instance. You collect a range of items in the game, but for large portions I didn't even bother having the item command in battle as I could get by based on Junctioned magic. Actually, at the end of most Final Fantasy games I had a whole host of useless items I never needed to use because I either had an equivalent spell or a more powerful/useful ability already available. The items I actually used (healing potions, elixirs, ethers, heroes etc.) were the very items I would be short of or at the very least tactically rationing. Not to mention that most weapons and armour are useless after a short period anyway.

I make the same argument for the likes of Mass Effect 1, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age. The problem isn't something that's exclusive to one sub-genre of RPGs. There's also the argument of how the RPGs organise items. Few manage to get an intuitive system together. They usually just boil down to edited/sorted lists or in the worst case scenario, something resembling an Excel spreadsheet.

Now, I could say the likes of the Deus Ex series or Mass Effect 2 & 3 are examples of WRPGs getting inventory systems right, but that wouldn't be very representative.

Funny you mention FInal Fantasy 8 cause every item has some kind of purpose, like giving str+20% to your GF, teaching Quistis limit breaks.  There's nothing in that game that's sole purpose is to be sold for money (Cause you can't).  All the Final Fantasies bar 12 use items as some kind of enhancement to something.  And I agree, Mass Effect 2& 3 get it right, but then again they removed most of it (Which I agree with).

The thing about Mass Effect 2 and 3 is tha they more prominently feature action/adventure elements than RPG elements, and the main reason people enjoy them are due to the action-adventure elements.

Jumpin said:

This is a pretty silly conversation. There is no "JRPG" or "WRPG" genres, W - refers to western and J - refers to Japan; these are geographical locations, not something that should be included in the name of a genre; it is irrational to label a genre as "JRPG" or "WRPG".

In addition, there was no term as "JRPG" until after the release of Knights of the old Republic, and it was mostly invented by fans of that game as a negative label to disparage more popular titles like Final Fantasy. The term "WRPG" was just a backlash to this.

What you should be talking about are console RPGs which use lighter more console friendly mechanics vs PC RPGs which use the more complex keyboard and mouse friendly mechanics; in addition PC style RPGs usually focus on a more sandbox style world while Console style RPGs focus on storylines and character development due to the differences - these definitions have been around since the 80's; and are much more accurate, because both Western and Japanese game developers make console and of style RPGs. In Japan, the genre of console RPG is broken down further into turn-based RPGs, Strategy RPG, and Action RPGs, Roguelike RPGs, and Tactical RPGs; and even those are broken down a little further or have hybrid forms - I.e. while Chrono Trigger, Lunar, and Skies of Arcadia are turn based RPGs, they also bring in light strategy elements to varying degrees.

While I agree the terms are stupid, they are pretty entrenched now, even big sites use the term these days. And PC RPG and Console RPG are pretty meaningless as well as there are console RPG games that play more like your PC RPG description than some PC RPGs and vice verser. 

Really we should just call them RPGs and their gameplay derived sub genres, but people are far to attached to their prefered style of RPG whatever it is. And people will continue to draw arbitary lines in the sand so that they can spit on the other side.

RPG is such a muddled ambigious genre in the first place where 2 different games that are almost nothing alike can both be called an RPG. And you ask 10 different gamers and you would get at least 7 different answers to the question of what makes a game an RPG.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Jumpin said:

The thing about Mass Effect 2 and 3 is tha they more prominently feature action/adventure elements than RPG elements, and the main reason people enjoy them are due to the action-adventure elements.

Personally I felt they had more than enough RPG elements, and the third game balanced it near perfectly.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
Scoobes said:
darkknightkryta said:

There were plenty of items that were effectively redundant. Half of Irvine's amunition was useless, the attack/magic stones were just an alternative to drawn spells (and were doubly redundant because spells were useless once Junctioned.... why bother with magic when your STR is at 255?!), and most of the construction items used to upgrade weapons just built up and collected virtual dust with the exception of the few you actually needed, lol.

Now take Final Fantasy VII as another example of redundant items in the series. What was the point of the attack items like "Fire Veil" when Fire3 was easily attainable by the time I got my first "Fire Veil" anyway? The only time I used those items was if I did Yuffie's side quest because your materia gets taken away. By the end I had quite a collection of attack items I didn't ever need to use. And what about most of the nuts? The only useful ones were Carob and Zeio nuts! The rest were just filler. Or the absolutely useless "Easter egg" items like the 1/35 soldiers or the tissues! These were doubly annoying because they took up space in the long inventory list, yet were absolutely useless!

Scoobes said:

There were plenty of items that were effectively redundant. Half of Irvine's amunition was useless, the attack/magic stones were just an alternative to drawn spells (and were doubly redundant because spells were useless once Junctioned.... why bother with magic when your STR is at 255?!), and most of the construction items used to upgrade weapons just built up and collected virtual dust with the exception of the few you actually needed, lol.

Now take Final Fantasy VII as another example of redundant items in the series. What was the point of the attack items like "Fire Veil" when Fire3 was easily attainable by the time I got my first "Fire Veil" anyway? The only time I used those items was if I did Yuffie's side quest because your materia gets taken away. By the end I had quite a collection of attack items I didn't ever need to use. And what about most of the nuts? The only useful ones were Carob and Zeio nuts! The rest were just filler. Or the absolutely useless "Easter egg" items like the 1/35 soldiers or the tissues! These were doubly annoying because they took up space in the long inventory list, yet were absolutely useless!

What I was trying to get at is "JRPGs" don't fill your inventory with junk and useless armour.  "WRPGs" give you a lot of stuff for the sole purpose of selling, but they don't really let you know what you can use for smithing.  And as I said before, they give you so many useless armour and weapons, you'd spend a good hour trying to see what improves your stats or not so you can sell it later.  Or they'll give you weapons and armours that no one can equip cause you didn't pick the right class.

Scoobes said:
darkknightkryta said:
Scoobes said:
darkknightkryta said:

not entirely true. For instance if you used like strength +20% you could use a magic that isn't like ultima or meteor (comet I forget) to get to 255. And not junction more than  a couple magic to magic wielding characters. Or junction magic to certain characters to give ice affinity, or poison/blind status. It's not useless because you can't get infinite magic easily, so you have to allocate carefully atleast in theory. It just has a different utility than most other games, but the idea is cool.

However the issue with that and basically every FF game is there's a way to exploit it the battlesystem, so the systems are never as deep as they should be, except for a few optional bosses like making squall/zell 255 strength with aura and lionheart and zells QTE's. Pretty much beats everything in the game, except like omega weapon (because that boss involves a bit of luck+that).

But I agree with you, both JRPG, and WRPG's have useless stuff. But imo RPG's should have some of that.I mean maybe generally WRPG's have more useless stuff, but tactics ogre, last remnant, dark soul's, and countless other JRPG's give you useless, or semi-useless.

But generally I just sell my shit so I can buy things, problem solved :P

Scoobes said:
darkknightkryta said:
Scoobes said:
darkknightkryta said:

Not really, refining isn't just an alternative to drawing, as refining converts all things collected into other items and magic, and drawing only gains small amounts of raw magic; you can draw magic, but that is incredibly tedious since you can only draw a small amount at a time. It makes much more sense to refine items into magic, and weaker magic into more powerful magic, because you are working with much larger numbers. The only time where drawing magic is useful is in the early stages of the game if you are having trouble; but you gain your first refine skill fairly quickly.

Magic is also not useless once it is junctioned, as it is now boosting your stats, effectively becoming your weapon, armour, or other piece of equipment. Also, if you had 255 strength in any FF game, you wouldn't use magic either with the exception of enemies that are strong to physical attacks.

darkknightkryta said:
Scoobes said:

What I was trying to get at is "JRPGs" don't fill your inventory with junk and useless armour. 

Xenoblade does =P