By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SHEEP: Resident Evil 6 and why the series should never have left Nintendo

Its unfortunate that actually interacting with Resident Evil 6 is an excruciating chore. This is a wannabe action film that resents your interference, and punishes you by forcing one horrible quick-time event after another upon you. - Gamespot

The unfortunate truth is that Capcom hasn’t figured out a new way to terrify gamers in the eight years since RE4. - 1UP

In the end, Resident Evil 6 resembles one of its grotesque mutations — bloated, out of control, and recklessly trying to consume everything around it. Capcom has built a real monster here. - Polygon

Don’t buy it. Its garbage. - Giantbomb

This people, is why you don’t leave Ninten…

There’s more content and variety here than in any other entry in the series, and its stories – while a little too goofy to really take seriously – are nonetheless fascinating, particularly for those of us who’ve watched these characters grow and develop over the years…RE6 is a strange experience, to be sure – but more importantly, it’s an unforgettable one. - Official Playstation Magazine

The heck was that?….oh, it’s just OPM.

Anyway, as I was saying; this is why you don’t leave Nintendo.

Some of you may be reading this and thinking “what the heck is this dude smoking?”, well I’ll tell you exactly what I’m smoking: the deadly toxic poison of truth.

And the truth is that the best Resident Evil games were on Nintendo systems! The best versions of the original PS1 games are on the ‘REmakes’ for the Nintendo Gamecube.

And the pinnacle of the series, the timed Nintendo Game exclusive Resident Evil 4 was at its best on both it’s original system and the Wii version. Yes, one of the few times the console version of a game was actually better than its PC counterpart, was on the Wii. Who would’a thunk it?

But of course, as soon as Capcom betrayed Nintendo, that’s when the series went straight downhill. Resident Evil 5 only achieved an 86.62% score on Gamerankings, a severe drop from the 95.83% score Resident Evil 4 achieved.

And then we have Resident Evil 6.

Resident Evil 6 is an incessant, monotonous slog from one room of shambling opponents to the next, providing cheap gun battles for people who truly have given up on enjoying something better. - Destructoid

Make no mistake about it, Resident Evil 6 is a bad game.

KevinV considers ending his career so that he can quit playing RE6.

Jeff Gerstmann gives tips on trolling people you dislike with RE6.

No, don’t give me excuses about how “5/10 is actually an average score and anything over that is good” and that “you’re a raving idiot that no one should take seriously”. When even IGN gives a game 7.9, you know either someone forgot to bribe the right people, or the game really is monumentally awful. In this case, it’s safe to say that Resident Evil 6 is a bad game and you should feel bad for considering to pay money for it.

“Nice.” *thumbs up* “I appreciate it.”

But just a few months before Resident Evil 6, we got the excellent Resident Evil: Revelaitons [sic], which was most certainly not Resident Evil 6. We even counted that game as “a winner”.

So what does all this evidence point to?

That once you go Nintendo, you cannot go back, because you will become terrible. And that Bayonetta 3 will probably suck.

Take a look at the other companies that once swore allegiance to Nintendo, only to remove their connection and suddenly leave to their doom:

Rareware - The creators of arguably the greatest games of the second half of the 90′s, only to be purchased by Microsoft where they suffered a slow, cold demise into making Kinect games.

Factor 5 - The technical geniuses behind the Star Wars Rogue Squadron games, left Nintendo for Sony; where they created the disaster called LAIR and died.

Silicon Knights - Made great games on the Nintendo Gamecube, only to suffer working for Microsoft on Too Human, leading to an embarrassing legal defeat and the death of their prestige.

You abandoned your Capcom Five glory days, Capcom; and Resident Evil 6 is the latest example of your continual badly-misspelled downfall.

http://systemwarsmagazine.com/2012/10/01/article-why-resident-evil-should-never-have-left-nintendo/

Around the Network

I must disagree with one statement in this article. RE4 was not timed exclusive. It was made solely for the Gamecube.

Capcom later went over Mikami's head to port it to the PS2 which cost them Mikami and, subsequently, the integrity of the series.

Wow, what a fanboyish post. "Betrayed Nintendo" I actually laughed out loud there.

CGI-Quality said:

Eh, I agree that the GameCube version was the best version of RE4, but not the best Resident Evil. To me, the series started its downturn with RE4 and hasn't really grabbed its footing back (this while I also liked RE5 more).

However, the true fall of Resident Evil has little to do with "disowning" Nintendo and more to do with poor management, lack of identity (trying to be CoD, Uncharted, and RE all in one), and the loss of the series's creator, Shinji Mikami, as well as many other, key Capcom employees (among other things).

These recent blemishes would probably still exist regardless of what system / company Capcom chooses to (or not to) favor.

The loss of Mikami, however, has much to do with "disowning" Nintendo.

lilbroex said:

Its unfortunate that actually interacting with Resident Evil 6 is an excruciating chore. This is a wannabe action film that resents your interference, and punishes you by forcing one horrible quick-time event after another upon you. - Gamespot

The unfortunate truth is that Capcom hasn’t figured out a new way to terrify gamers in the eight years since RE4. - 1UP

In the end, Resident Evil 6 resembles one of its grotesque mutations — bloated, out of control, and recklessly trying to consume everything around it. Capcom has built a real monster here. - Polygon

Don’t buy it. Its garbage. - Giantbomb

This people, is why you don’t leave Ninten…

There’s more content and variety here than in any other entry in the series, and its stories – while a little too goofy to really take seriously – are nonetheless fascinating, particularly for those of us who’ve watched these characters grow and develop over the years…RE6 is a strange experience, to be sure – but more importantly, it’s an unforgettable one. - Official Playstation Magazine

The heck was that?….oh, it’s just OPM.

Anyway, as I was saying; this is why you don’t leave Nintendo.

Some of you may be reading this and thinking “what the heck is this dude smoking?”, well I’ll tell you exactly what I’m smoking: the deadly toxic poison of truth.

And the truth is that the best Resident Evil games were on Nintendo systems! The best versions of the original PS1 games are on the ‘REmakes’ for the Nintendo Gamecube.

And the pinnacle of the series, the timed Nintendo Game exclusive Resident Evil 4 was at its best on both it’s original system and the Wii version. Yes, one of the few times the console version of a game was actually better than its PC counterpart, was on the Wii. Who would’a thunk it?

But of course, as soon as Capcom betrayed Nintendo, that’s when the series went straight downhill. Resident Evil 5 only achieved an 86.62% score on Gamerankings, a severe drop from the 95.83% score Resident Evil 4 achieved.

And then we have Resident Evil 6.

Resident Evil 6 is an incessant, monotonous slog from one room of shambling opponents to the next, providing cheap gun battles for people who truly have given up on enjoying something better. - Destructoid

http://systemwarsmagazine.com/2012/10/01/article-why-resident-evil-should-never-have-left-nintendo/

I have nothing to add to this of constructive value, however that "toxic" line is priceless to the writer in me :) +1!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
lilbroex said:
CGI-Quality said:

Eh, I agree that the GameCube version was the best version of RE4, but not the best Resident Evil. To me, the series started its downturn with RE4 and hasn't really grabbed its footing back (this while I also liked RE5 more).

However, the true fall of Resident Evil has little to do with "disowning" Nintendo and more to do with poor management, lack of identity (trying to be CoD, Uncharted, and RE all in one), and the loss of the series's creator, Shinji Mikami, as well as many other, key Capcom employees (among other things).

These recent blemishes would probably still exist regardless of what system / company Capcom chooses to (or not to) favor.

As I understand it, it goes far deeper than that. I read an article on this once (I Google it shortly) that details what happened within Capcom that lead to Mikami's departure. It wasn't 100% because of a betrayal to Nintendo.

Not 100% but it was the biggest factor. Remember that Mikami stated that he would cut off his own head before porting it to another console.

KylieDog said:

People who have not played RE6 need to stop commenting on it.

Now I would like you to replace "RE6" with "the Wii U" or any unreleased game on a Nintendo console in your own future discussions.

Stupid Capcom. They must like selling games or something.

KylieDog said:
WTF is the writing even talking about anyway,

"And the truth is that the best Resident Evil games were on Nintendo systems! The best versions of the original PS1 games are on the ‘REmakes’ for the Nintendo Gamecube."

Best versions of the ps1 games are the REMakes? There was one remake only, it wasn't the same as the PS1 game, the other games are all direct ports from PS1, while the Dreamcast ports got more features and ran better.

False, RE3 on the GC has more features and runs better than any other version, even the PC. Same with the RE2 and Code Veronica X. 

People generally refer to RE: DC and RE:0 as the "remakes" since they were both the same engine and based around the original game.

CGI-Quality said:
lilbroex said:
CGI-Quality said:
lilbroex said:
CGI-Quality said:

As I understand it, it goes far deeper than that. I read an article on this once (I Google it shortly) that details what happened within Capcom that lead to Mikami's departure. It wasn't 100% because of a betrayal to Nintendo.

Not 100% but it was the biggest factor. Remember that Mikami stated that he would cut off his own head before porting it to another console.

I do remember him saying that (something similar regarding RE5), but again, I think that's less a case of favoritism to Nintendo and more to do with holding a certain standard to his work. He took it very personal that RE4 was ported to the PS2 (a move that helped the title shift more units than its GameCube counterpart, by the way), but he probably would have felt the same way had it originally been a PlayStation 2 exclusive ported elsewhere. It was the act, in general, that angered him at Capcom, not he, himself, feeling Nintendo was betrayed (unlike Nomura, who felt Square-Enix betrayed Sony with FFXIII's 360 announcement - hence his promise that Versus XIII would not sufer a similar fate).

Horse of another color.

He had nothing to do with RE5. The only comment he made regarding it was the he refused to play, because he would be mad at the things he would have done better.

This isn't an argument about fans feeling betrayed. This is about Capcom giving the shaft to the company that gave them the most success.