By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you knew your unborn child was going to be gay, would you abort him/her?

Kantor said:

Incidentally, I'm fairly sure that Islam condemns homosexuality as sinful as well. Assuming you still identify as Muslim, how do you feel about the matter?

I am and the Qur'an does not condemn homosexuality to death. Its more of a jail sentence.

However, I completely disagree. I fully believe its something you are born with and the ony reason a God would be talking against such a lifestyle would be that it does not allow for the propugation of the species. Also why I think it is mearly a punishment in terms of pushing away from the lifestyle and not condemnation to death and/or hell.

Additionally, the Bible doesnt' condemn anyone either for being gay. If I remember the OT verse correctly, its basicaly the same as the Quranic verse in that the offenders are to be separated indefinitely.

Unfortunately in both cases the followers have made it a much larger issue.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
superchunk said:
Kantor said:

The theory of the genesis of life by the Christian god is entirely false, for one.

With that, many people believe in a series sins that are so bad, you'll go directly to eternal hell and torment as served by a loving and all-compasionate God. One of these sins is homosexuality. So the idea is would you spare your unborn child eternal damnation by aborting "it" very early in the pregnancy given you were clearly able to know 100% that he/she would be gay based on a full understanding of the genome or some other test?

What I've always heard from Christians is that hell isn't literally fire and whipping and torture, it is simply the absence of God in your soul, and you make the decision yourself to keep God out of your soul, so you are the one condemning yourself to torture, not him.

I still don't think this really makes full sense, since being omniscient, He knows exactly what you are going to do anyway and therefore you don't have free will and thus he is the one condemning you to hell, but it seems less monstrous than the whole "disobey God and he burns you for eternity" thing.

Incidentally, I'm fairly sure that Islam condemns homosexuality as sinful as well. Assuming you still identify as Muslim, how do you feel about the matter?

Hell and the lake of fire are two separate things. The lake of fire is only described in Revelations as the place that souls are sent after the spiritual war between the Heaven and Hell. Many Christians either believe the book of Revelations is all metaphors and others believe that it should not have been included in the Bible at all. (IMHO the book of Revelations is the most entertaining book of the Bible and that's why so many American horror stories/movies/books draw heavily from it.)

Because God knows what you are going to do does not mean that you don't have free will. If you know that you are going to get fat if you eat a lot of fried food, but do so anyway does that mean you don't have free will to stop if you continue to eat it? (Sorry bad example) Just because God knows what you are going to do in the future does not mean that you are not making your own choices.

@ Superchunk - I don't know where the leaders of those churches decided that there were unforgivable sins, because in the Bible I read it says all sins are forgivable.

Free Will entails uncertainty. There is no uncertainty in Omniscience. Your path is already known - predetermined.
Furthermore, omnipotence - the cliche "Can God create a boulder so large that not even He can lift it?"
These are problematic concepts to say the least.

You aren't making your own choices. Let's call it fate. Everything you will do is already known. How is this possible in free will? It isn't, because if it were, you would be able to change your path. You cannot. In omniscience, it is already set in stone.

dsgrue3 said:
Free Will entails uncertainty. There is no uncertainty in Omniscience. Your path is already known - predetermined.
Furthermore, omnipotence - the cliche "Can God create a boulder so large that not even He can lift it?"

You aren't making your own choices. Let's call it fate. Everything you will do is already known. How is this possible in free will? It isn't, because if it were, you would be able to change your path. You cannot. In omniscience, it is already set in stone.

No. Free will means you have a choice, not uncertainty. If you dont eat you know you will be hungry. If you go for a swim you know you will get wet. These are certain. But it is your choice to do these things. Just because God knows what you are going to choose does not mean you don't have a choice.

"Can God create a boulder so large that not even He can lift it?" -> Two problems with this question. 1. God is not male or female. 2. God is not a physical being like in religious paintings.

Nem said:
Player1x3 said:

You're sad. You're just really really sad. This thread was never about God's existence nor if religion and religious people are bad, yet you constantly bitched about that and kept attacking people (aka DISCRIMINATING) against them based on their religion, but your ego is so out of touch that it will do anything to protect itself so you think the others are actually discriminating. The real question is, DID YOU read the topic? Because the VAST MAJORITY of people here (both religious and irreligious) have said NO to the OP so i really don't see any ignorance and discrimination here (aside from yours of course). But you still felt the urge to come here attacking and flaming other people and calling them ignorant and discriminatory. Hypocrisy and irony at their finest ! Not surprisingly, people like you are very often associated with these attributes. And please, how did you disprove ANYTHING here, im dying to know???? You offered, by far, the absolutely worst arguments i have ever read in these kinds of (off) topics.

Are you joking? The post above yours says it all.

If you also read my original quote you would also understand why things took the turn they did. Its funny how you claim to be a victim while considering to abort a child over its sexual orientation. Just the very thought, angers me enough to write volumes over how retarded religion is.

Are you either blind, illiterate or both? Where the fuck have i said i vas victim or that i would consider aborting a child over it's sexuality ??? All i said was that high majority of people in this thread said NO to the op question, so i really don't see where you got your ''religious discrimination bullshit. Maybe out of your biased hateful disrespectful ass?

And just cause you cant recognise it, doest mean im attacking you. Another characteristic of religious people is thinking that cause they got a faith, no one can question it. Wrong buddy.Yet this thread was never about questioning someones faith, it was about moral stance on abortion and sexuality.Not on whether or not God is real But i guess you're too ignorant and hateful to grasp that. Someone having different belief than you must drive your arrogant, megalomaniacal, fundamentalist ass insane so you have to let everyone else here know how superior your heavenly intellect and views and how everyone else's is a complete crap, just because you, the unquestionable absolute master of the universe disagree with it. If you were not ready to hear the truth, the way it really is, maybe you shouldnt be reading my posts nor be in a forum. I don't know how to make this clear enough. Your posts are the biggest bullshit arguments i have ever read in my entire life and are possibly the furthest possible thing from the truth ever to be typed by a human hand. I've heard some good points from atheist side on this very forum, but yours cant be even remotely considered to be anywhere near a good argument  Also your case is terrible, you basically behave like zombies.Thats cute. And you're all pasty, overfed, underfucked, greasy , self loathing, arrogant, ''i got fucked by a priest'' egoistical, neck bearded mom's basement dwellers. Hooray for insulting generalizations and attacks! There is no proof and no logic to the existance of god, yet you let religious talk dictate your life, just like the charlattons that started it intendedThere are certainly tons of logical theories that lead to the existence of God, im just not going to discuss them here (not with you anyway). It is off topic and has nothing to do with the OP.

The only reason this thread was ever created and this question was posed was religion. If there was no religion this question wouldnt even be asked as no one would be thinking about the possibility.Yet there are people in this very thread who said they weren't religious and still choose 'yes' option...Guess reading sentences isn't your strong point. Religion condemns same sex relation. did you know same sex relations werent something that just started nowadays? It existed back  in greece and Rome. Back then it wasnt questionable and people wouldnt kill over it.Great...except that once again, I'd have to point to the fact that majority of religious people here said no to the question. Once again, you're grasping at straws just so you can have something to hate against religion. Also what about the Roman and greek gods? Were they all lies? What makes your one god any more believable? The fact it requires less blind-faith? Or the fact that science managed to prove how these aspects behaved in a logic way?1. Learm the difference between pantheism and monotheism/deism and then come back before trying to appear clever, kid. BTW, my views on God are deistic, not biblical. What happens to your God once we prove that there was no ulterior force behind creation?2.Oh you mean your ''everything came out of nothing'' nonsense ? Yeah, that's kinda already been disproven by both logic and science .The level of intelligence in both your belief and the ancient roman and greek on their own time is exactly the same. You dont understand it, thus it must be a God.3.Oh, no, I'll gladly accept every new scientific theory / fact supported by evidence, i just don't think they in any way disprove the existence of a higher power. Your brain makes these links cause if gives everything a cause and for what it doesnt have enough information, it creates a story that will make it believable.

I don't even know why i bothered responding to the last 3 points. I won't justify my beliefs and views to a person such as yourself any further, tho i have no doubt that you're gonna respond to them (after all, your sole purpose in this thread is to flame and insult people 's beliefs) you just won't be getting a new reply from me on them, so don't bother typing

I am sad to say, but religion only exists cause people are not well informed enough and their brain makes a fairy tale for them.

Bold

Around the Network
WiiBox3 said:
dsgrue3 said:

No. Free will means you have a choice, not uncertainty. If you dont eat you know you will be hungry. If you go for a swim you know you will get wet. These are certain. But it is your choice to do these things. Just because God knows what you are going to choose does not mean you don't have a choice.

"Can God create a boulder so large that not even He can lift it?" -> Two problems with this question. 1. God is not male or female. 2. God is not a physical being like in religious paintings.

Exactly, it means you have a choice. You don't have one if all your decisions are predetermined, which is the case with omniscience. Irrelevent what form God takes, can "it" create something that "it" cannot destroy? The illusion of choice exist with omniscience, but not free will.

I meant uncertainty in that no outcome has been predetermined.

happydolphin said:
Nem, you liken the Christian God to the gods of the Greeks when the only thing the two have in common is super-human power and the possibility of being a fabrication of the human mind, a possibility that is likewise very well attributable to macro evolution and multi-verses.

Its not a possibility, its a fact that the greek gods arent real, as i proved just a few posts ago. They also have in common they are worshiped by humans, theres no proof of their existance on their respective times and also that they conviniently have human spokesmans with very vague speeches. I really dont get what this has to do with macro evolution given it only affects humans and multi-verses i dont even know what you're sugesting... maybe that they can exist in another dimension? Its again very arrogant to think that what you think can come into physical existance cause you thought about it. That would actually make us, the gods. Lets try to keep the insanity limited to the universe we know to be real.

The only thing that changed is that the story is easier to believe if theres one single god, instead of several bickering. One lie, is easier to believe in than 10 differrent ones. It still doesnt change where the lie camefrom though. The story might change a bit, but the end persona is still the same, as you admited "super-human" power.

So, instead of 10 you got 1 god. Why would it not be still a fabrication? Why should i believe this time, if the last one is proven to be a lie?

What does this have to do with gaming?

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

Nem said:
happydolphin said:
Nem, you liken the Christian God to the gods of the Greeks when the only thing the two have in common is super-human power and the possibility of being a fabrication of the human mind, a possibility that is likewise very well attributable to macro evolution and multi-verses.

Its not a possibility, its a fact that the greek gods arent real, as i proved just a few posts ago. They also have in common they are worshiped by humans, theres no proof of their existance on their respective times and also that they conviniently have human spokesmans with very vague speeches. I really dont get what this has to do with macro evolution given it only affects humans and multi-verses i dont even know what you're sugesting... maybe that they can exist in another dimension? Its again very arrogant to think that what you think can come into physical existance cause you thought about it. That would actually make us, the gods. Lets try to keep the insanity limited to the universe we know to be real.

The only thing that changed is that the story is easier to believe if theres one single god, instead of several bickering. One lie, is easier to believe in than 10 differrent ones. It still doesnt change where the lie camefrom though. The story might change a bit, but the end persona is still the same, as you admited "super-human" power.

So, instead of 10 you got 1 god. Why would it not be still a fabrication? Why should i believe this time, if the last one is proven to be a lie?

The arrogance argument is applicable in all options (deism and atheism). The reason is that  a deist would be arrogant to consider himself the center of the universe (which isn't true anyways), as much as the atheist could be arrogant for considering not needing a God to exist, were that true (which is a poor accusation but it's as valid as yours).

Anyways arrogance does not indicate veracity (or the absence of it).

The possibility was from the point of view of Christianity. It's only possible if it's true that Yahwe is a fabrication of the human mind, which unlike your "proof" of the greek gods being so is far from proven to be a pure fabrication, we won't even get into that.

As for proof of God's existence, there is substancial proof but I'm not interested in that debate with you.

Also, the vagueness of anyone's speech does not prove anything. Someone can be vague due to the resistance of the listener, someone can be vague because he is lying, while another is vague because he prefers the litterary style of something that is less exact. Vagueness, again, proves nothing.

This has to do with macro evolution and multi-verses in that, to me, that is a fairy tale and you have NO way to prove to me the contrary, as I have no way to prove to you that God is real. They each have their evidence and need to be considered individually, not sweepingly like this.

The idea of God being super-human doesn't make the concept a lie. There is little foundation to your logic.

It's not because one is "proven" or even convincingly false that another one is... For example Christianity involves a historical figure (Jesus and the apostles and disciples), we can read about them. The Greek gods also have this (homer's Odysee and the Illyad), but they are not as reliable for instance as the biblical texts. Not to mention that much of Jewish history is embedded in  biblical narrative.

happydolphin said:
Nem said:
happydolphin said:

The arrogance argument is applicable in all options (deism and atheism). The reason is that  a deist would be arrogant to consider himself the center of the universe (which isn't true anyways), as much as the atheist could be arrogant for considering not needing a God to exist, were that true (which is a poor accusation but it's as valid as yours).

Anyways arrogance does not indicate veracity (or the absence of it).

The possibility was from the point of view of Christianity. It's only possible if it's true that Yahwe is a fabrication of the human mind, which unlike your "proof" of the greek gods being so is far from proven to be a pure fabrication, we won't even get into that.

As for proof of God's existence, there is substancial proof but I'm not interested in that debate with you.

Also, the vagueness of anyone's speech does not prove anything. Someone can be vague due to the resistance of the listener, someone can be vague because he is lying, while another is vague because he prefers the litterary style of something that is less exact. Vagueness, again, proves nothing.

This has to do with macro evolution and multi-verses in that, to me, that is a fairy tale and you have NO way to prove to me the contrary, as I have no way to prove to you that God is real. They each have their evidence and need to be considered individually, not sweepingly like this.

The idea of God being super-human doesn't make the concept a lie. There is little foundation to your logic.

It's not because one is "proven" or even convincingly false that another one is... For example Christianity involves a historical figure (Jesus and the apostles and disciples), we can read about them. The Greek gods also have this (homer's Odysee and the Illyad), but they are not as reliable for instance as the biblical texts. Not to mention that much of Jewish history is embedded in  biblical narrative.

Do you know why youre not right in your stance of everything is possible and nothing is disproven and should be look at as a clean slate? Because it doesnt make sense to ignore the past examples. You basically are refusing to learn.

Say if i asked you to borrow me 5 euros from the kindness of your heart, and for the sake of proving the point you would. I had no intention to return them and then i would ask you to borrow me 6 euros, and wouldnt return them, then next time 7 euros and the same thing, etc. According to your logic, you would lend me the money everytime because you would believe i would return the money everytime cause its a new situation that should be analysed from a clean slate, even though i would never return it.  Its the same thing with religion. Its the same story told in a different way, but still as much the product of the human mind, just like the ones before it. We just dont have the technology to disprove it like we do with the greek gods yet, but logic certainly nails it.

You are free to refuse the logic, but that its there, it is.