By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WIll Microsoft rename the Xbox brand in Japan

With Xbox8/Next box expected to come out next Christmas, I began thinking where Microsoft can  improve upon what they achieved with the XBox. I then remembered that they failed this Gen at managing to break the Japanese Market, Despite a push around 2007-2009 with games like Last remnant, Star Ocean, Blu Dragon and Lost Oddysey. Seeing as it had games which should of appealed to the Japanese gamer I could only assume their failure was down to branding.

The Japanese Market is enough to warrant one last effort in the coming Gen and I think they have no choice but to launch their next sysem in Japan without the name Xbox attched. What does everyone else think, should they even bother or just dedicate all resources to the west?

Also lets here your suggestions for names? :D

Around the Network

Yes, they'll call it the Monster Hunter Anime Box. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

Its probably more of a Sony and Nintendo are Japanese companies and entrenched in the gaming society than a name brand thing. Regardless of what neXtBox is called, its still from MS. Its only hope in Japan is that the win8 interaction is just too much to not buy one.

Change the name to doa and thats not for dead or alive either.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

I don't think it would help M$ in Japan, so nope!

Around the Network

Best bet is to focus on smartglass. The Japanese market is far more interested in portable gaming than home consoles. Otherwise: Nintendo Playstation Box might work

Yeah, I don't think the Xbox brand has a bad reputation in Japan or anything. It's just that Nintendo and Sony are two Japanese brands who also happens to be some of the greatest brands in the world, so the Japanese people probably goes for the homeland products before anything else, and with great pride.

Changing the Xbox name would not really change anything: Nintendo and Sony would still be massive gaming brands and Microsoft's product would still be American.

transforming in a japanese company would be the most succesful way.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Yeah, I don't think the Xbox brand has a bad reputation in Japan or anything. It's just that Nintendo and Sony are two Japanese brands who also happens to be some of the greatest brands in the world, so the Japanese people probably goes for the homeland products before anything else, and with great pride.

Changing the Xbox name would not really change anything: Nintendo and Sony would still be massive gaming brands and Microsoft's product would still be American.

They can name it whatever they want and it has nothing to do with being an American Product.
Apple is doing fine in Japan.

The problem is that Microsoft has nothing to offer you can't get on Playstation/Nintendo/PC that isn't better on those platforms or warrants a buy.
They don't need Halo and CoD Mappacks and forcing people to buy a new console for 3 J-RPGs didn't help either.
And everyone is giving Microsoft the fault for the downfall of old Japanese Franchises like Final Fantasy,Resident Evil and so on cause they made Halo/CoD so strong and made the bosses of SquareEnix and Capcom(for example) go crazy about the West.
Microsoft shouldn't waste money on Japan with their NextBox and should invest in new franchises that aren't about killing and saving the world as a bald space marine.
Especially cause Microsoft could have a chance against Sony in Europe if they would bring unique stuff like Heavy Rain,Beyond,The Last of Us and so on...Cause even CoD is selling stronger on the PS3 in Europe and this is insane if you think about how crazy the US People are about that franchise and don't even know there is a PS3 Version of that.

What name you want then,Dreamcast 2?