By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's the most iconic video game character of all time?

Who's the most iconic video game character of all time?

Master Chief 72 80.90%

Marcus Phoenix 14 15.73%

Total:86
superchunk said:
CGI-Quality said:

EVERYBODY I talk to knows Bugs Bunny. Old, fat, skinny, pretty, ugly, young, kid, teen, adult. No matter. They all do. Sure, I can name on one hand the few folks that don't know Mario, but Bugs is definitely a bigger name. Now for their respective companies, Mario has always represented Nintendo almost exclusively, while Warner Bros is represented by hosts of other Mascots. For the record, and though anecdotal, I grew up in the era Mario was born, and still saw more of and acknowledged Bugs Bunny before him.

I also didn't say Bugs was bigger than Mickey Mouse, I said he was second. And Mickey Mouse is still very much bigger than Mario.

As far as I'm concerned, for children and the world alike, it doesn't get much more iconic than this.

Sorry, you're flat out wrong in regards to Bugs > Mario.

If you took that pic and a pic of Mario to areas in the Middle East, India, Africa, etc... you'll find a very high % know Mickey and Mario... but very few would recognize Bugs. Hell, my kids definitely knew who he was last. Looney Tunes went out of popularity for quite a while and a lot of kids did not grow up watching them. I had to explain Bugs (my personal favorite) and other LT characters to them when they were around 7 and 6 and we were watching Roger Rabbit (where that pic is from) for the first time. Even then Looney Tunes didn't start to come back until a few years ago.

However, they all knew who Mario and Mickey were from the time they could recognize any characters.

I will cede that there is a definite argument for Mickey being more iconic that Mario... but I'm still betting on Mario > Mickey. I know I've read multiple articles that had world-wide questionnaires on the topic. Hell, in the end it may be a statistical tie.

the bolded part, why exactly? why do people in africa know mario very good but not bugs bunny and more interesting, why do many know mickey mouse but not bugs bunny?

Around the Network

I was going to say Mario but I'm tempted to say Sonic. Mario games are more popular and well known but Mario's design is more forgettable than Sonic's.

crissindahouse said:

the bolded part, why exactly? why do people in africa know mario very good but not bugs bunny and more interesting, why do many know mickey mouse but not bugs bunny?

Mario and Mickey are marketed in pretty much anything Nintendo and Disney respectively. Bugs is only attached to Looney Tunes, now WB as whole and LT faded out in the 90's and only very recently started to make a comeback in the last couple of years.

Bugs and other LT characters have a significant gap of simply not being there. Whereas Disney and Nintendo have always been relevant.

superchunk said:
crissindahouse said:

Mario and Mickey are marketed in pretty much anything Nintendo and Disney respectively. Bugs is only attached to Looney Tunes, now WB as whole and LT faded out in the 90's and only very recently started to make a comeback in the last couple of years.

Bugs and other LT characters have a significant gap of simply not being there. Whereas Disney and Nintendo have always been relevant.

in africa? i know they have disney channel in south africa but except for very few places in africa, why should people there know mario? and how do you know how they market disney characters in other countries.  as example i always felt like mickey mouse was not number one for disney in germany when i was interested in that 20 years ago but no clue how it was the generations before.

Onyxia :)

Around the Network

Master Chief and Marcus Phoenix??? lol is this a joke?

just kidding, it's Mario... then Pac Man.

KylieDog said:

This is not a sales topic, but on non Nintendo consoles, yes.

I would imagine that popularity can determine how iconic a character is, at least in cases like this where the difference is so huge. 

Heck, I'd probably argue that there are more HD fans that know Mario than those that know Ryu.

Jay520 said:
KylieDog said:

This is not a sales topic, but on non Nintendo consoles, yes

I would imagine that popularity can determine how popular a character is

I would imagine you're on to something. :p

Mario, Pac-Man, Lara Croft, Pikachu.........................Sonic.......................................................................................the rest

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.