By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's the most iconic video game character of all time?

Who's the most iconic video game character of all time?

Master Chief 72 80.90%

Marcus Phoenix 14 15.73%

Total:86

My unborn child who has never played a video game in his non existence knows who Master Chief and Marcus Fenix are.

Around the Network

sarah palin

I'm not just talking about any old "?" box from mario, I mean the first one you hit in the original super mario bros that gives you that mushroom.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

It's a-me! Mario!

That fat plumber who is a furry.

Former something....

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

EVERYBODY I talk to knows Bugs Bunny. Old, fat, skinny, pretty, ugly, young, kid, teen, adult. No matter. They all do. Sure, I can name on one hand the few folks that don't know Mario, but Bugs is definitely a bigger name. Now for their respective companies, Mario has always represented Nintendo almost exclusively, while Warner Bros is represented by hosts of other Mascots. For the record, and though anecdotal, I grew up in the era Mario was born, and still saw more of and acknowledged Bugs Bunny before him.

I also didn't say Bugs was bigger than Mickey Mouse, I said he was second. And Mickey Mouse is still very much bigger than Mario.

As far as I'm concerned, for children and the world alike, it doesn't get much more iconic than this.

Sorry, you're flat out wrong in regards to Bugs > Mario.

If you took that pic and a pic of Mario to areas in the Middle East, India, Africa, etc... you'll find a very high % know Mickey and Mario... but very few would recognize Bugs. Hell, my kids definitely knew who he was last. Looney Tunes went out of popularity for quite a while and a lot of kids did not grow up watching them. I had to explain Bugs (my personal favorite) and other LT characters to them when they were around 7 and 6 and we were watching Roger Rabbit (where that pic is from) for the first time. Even then Looney Tunes didn't start to come back until a few years ago.

However, they all knew who Mario and Mickey were from the time they could recognize any characters.

I will cede that there is a definite argument for Mickey being more iconic that Mario... but I'm still betting on Mario > Mickey. I know I've read multiple articles that had world-wide questionnaires on the topic. Hell, in the end it may be a statistical tie.

spurgeonryan said:
pezus said:

Most of them at least. Each CoD sells 20-30m so he should be more known than Master Chief, and easily Fenix.

Well I am not here to argue, but I am not a big HD gamer. I do not know Captain Price. I feel like I should since I have played most of the CoD games quite a bit ( so like 12 hours total) but I do not know him. I do however know Master Chief. So from an outsider looking in I would say Master Chief is more of an icon. Who the Cuhf is Fenix?

the guy from gears in the op. he is so unknown that the guy who made the thread did not even know his name^^

KylieDog said:
CGI-Quality said:

Ryu > Mario? Are you mad?

For someone who never played Nintendo consoles?  Why would Mario be relevent at all to them?

Do you think there are more persons who have played Street Fighter than there are persons who have played Mario?

This guy.  The renegade of the bunch.

We should also recognize there may be different meanings behind 'iconic.'

Some might say popular, household-name, universally recognized, like Mario.

But then again, some people view iconic means to be unique, distinguished, etc. In this iconic is more of a natural trait regardless of popularity. For example, using this definition, I think a character like Kratos is more iconic than say...Nikko from GTA IV. Sure, Nikko is probably more well known, but the essence of Kratos (the aesthetics, voice, personality, etc.) is definitely much more unique and easily distinguishable than Nikko. I think Mario matches this definition of iconic too.