By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's the most iconic video game character of all time?

Who's the most iconic video game character of all time?

Master Chief 72 80.90%

Marcus Phoenix 14 15.73%

Total:86

Mario

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Mario, Yoshi, Pacman, Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft

this

think-man said:

Master Chief and Marcus Lmao no way they would be some of the last character im sure anyone would think of.

Id say Cloud, Snake, Mario, Sonic, Link, Crash, Spyro, Kratos.

i don't believe kratos, spyro or crash are above master chief.  mario and sonic obviously are. cloud, not sure, japan obviously is all about cloud, usa maybe much more master chief.

There are characters that have been in popular games (ie: Kratos or Cloud) but they are nowhere near iconic. They're big in certain gaming circles but there are people that LOVE video games and don't even know who these guys are. A JRPG character who starred in a popular game back in 1997 or a powder faced guy that starred in a franchise that sells decently? Not icons. Not even close.

On topic, Hulk Hogan.

CGI-Quality said:
superchunk said:
Mario is the only answer.

Additionally, Mario is the same answer to, "What is the most iconic character or mascot for any company of all time?"

2nd to that question is Mickey Mouse.

Eh, I'd argue that Bugs Bunny is bigger than Mario and only topped by the likes of Mickey Mouse (for a company that is). In video games, nobody really even comes close to Mario, it's a complete shut-out.

Bugs???  Are you crazy?

You might have an argument with Mickey, but there is no way Bugs Bunny is more iconic than either of them.

Mario and Mickey are on EVERYTHING related to their companies. Bugs is on very little for WB and it was only very recently that they even began to reintroduce Looney Tunes as a franchise.

Mario is THE most iconic character the world over followed by Mickey.

Around the Network

Im just saying if I went up to my gf who knows nothing about gaming and said who are Master Chief and this Marcus guy she wouldn't have a clue, but she would know who Cloud, Snake, Mario, Sonic, Link, Crash, Spyro, Kratos just because those are names that are tossed around frequently around my friends group 

Does Batman count? If not, look at the video in this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148490&page=1#8

There is your answer(s).

I would have trouble picking out Marcus Phoenix from a line-up of one.

I would have trouble picking Master Chief out of a line-up of Spartans, but I think that's the whole point. Plus I know the word 'Spartans', so that's a big plus for him.

CGI-Quality said:
superchunk said:
CGI-Quality said:

Eh, I'd argue that Bugs Bunny is bigger than Mario and only topped by the likes of Mickey Mouse (for a company that is). In video games, nobody really even comes close to Mario, it's a complete shut-out.

Bugs???  Are you crazy?

You might have an argument with Mickey, but there is no way Bugs Bunny is more iconic than either of them.

Mario and Mickey are on EVERYTHING related to their companies. Bugs is on very little for WB and it was only very recently that they even began to reintroduce Looney Tunes as a franchise.

Mario is THE most iconic character the world over followed by Mickey.

EVERYBODY I talk to knows Bugs Bunny. Old, fat, skinny, pretty, ugly, young, kid, teen, adult. No matter. They all do. Sure, I can name on one hand the few folks that don't know Mario, but Bugs is definitely a bigger name. Now for their respective companies, Mario has always represented Nintendo almost exclusively, while Warner Bros is represented by hosts of other Mascots. For the record, and though anecdotal, I grew up in the era Mario was born, and still saw more of and acknowledged Bugs Bunny before him.

I also didn't say Bugs was bigger than Mickey Mouse, I said he was second. And Mickey Mouse is still very much bigger than Mario.

As far as I'm concerned, for children and the world alike, it doesn't get much more iconic than this.

yeah i also think there are still some people who don't know mario  (many old people here in germany and also few younger people) but everyone knows who mickey mouse, bugs bunny, tom&jerry, donald duck, kermit and such "guys" are.

if this is now "iconic" or only name recognition is another question but mario is nowhere near the best known fictive characters.

Mario, Sonic.. baby!!

If I had to vote, it'll be master chief.

Yay!!!