By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't Nintendo redesign their home consoles?

This is one of the reasons I like nintendo, strong reliable hardware out the gate, my wii even survived been thrown across a kitchen that took out a post under the kitchen side.

Around the Network
cusman said:

When it make sense, they did revise the Wii remote control from Wii Motion to Wii Motion+. The Classic was crap and so they came out with Classic Pro.

I also think that. The face of the WiiU is going to be the Gamepad, so if they redesign anything it is going to be that rather than the console.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

cusman said:
I have no idea why Sony keeps wasting internal R&D on PS3 redesigns when none of that has resulted in reducing price or improving quality (which was already good on everything after the original 20/60GB models which did overheat more than everything 2nd gen onwards). The newest redesigned shell for PS3 shows Sony priorities are all wrong.

Sources, please.  I'm almost certain the new version of the PS3 offers a significant reduction in cost for Sony.  I don't see how it couldn't.  That's the main reason for redesigns at this stage, to lower the cost per unit.  As technology improves, they're able to build something smaller, lighter, and cheaper which still meets the same performance levels.  With a product you intend to support for a long time, redesigns make a lot of sense.

If you're talking about reducing cost to the consumer, I'm pretty sure the first Slim saw a price reduction, and the newest version, though bundled at the moment, represents a better value.  Pretty much everyone expects the stand-alone model to be cheaper.

I really don't understand what you're talking about with the priorities statement.

Nintendo, on the other hand, doesn't typically support thier home consoles long enough that redesigns would be necessary.  The Wii saw an effective life of, what, five years?  It's a different strategy.  Also, it was low-cost to start with, and lower-end materials do not fall in price the same way higher-end materials fall.

@Pokoko Didn't know the Wii was already dead.
OT- Ninty doesn't redesign because they don't need to. Their platforms are nearly always small and as cost friendly as possible. They also don't want to risk rebranding because the branding from the beginning is pretty much gonna be what it is for the rest of its lifetime. Ninty also doesn't want to extend its platforms life than they need to. If the Wii continued to sell to well it could hurt the WiiU. This is why Ninty platforms don't take as much time to establish its self. Nintys full support is within the successor.

I hope Nintendo redesigns Wii U a few years from now. Nowdays it seems to help change the perspective people have of the consoles. Of course, redesigning the brand with the packaging helps a lot too.

Not that i want or feel that it would help Wii U to be smaller, but a simple change in aspect of console and controller. For example like it happened with Mega Drive, SNES and NES.

Around the Network

Simple reason really. Nintendo consoles are developed to be profitable as fast as possible and have super low failure rates. They play it safe.

There is no need to make a Wii redesign since the R&D itself would be more trouble than its worth.

The Wii without GC support should count as a redesign. That being said I doubt that the Wii U will receive a redesign its already pretty much as small as it could be. I'm pretty sure that over its lifetime they will tweak some internal parts but as far as noticeable redesign its not going to happen.

Roma said:
lilbroex said:
Roma said:
Nintendo should make a console as big as a grill and then make it smaller for people to have a reason to buy either a second one or for the first time since they can now fit it under the TV.

Why would Nintendo want to copy a insufficient setup. The lack of a need to redesign is a good thing. It means their consoles were done right from the beginning.

but they gain more sales which is good for business in times where you are loosing money! I mean if Nintendo had this planned out they would not have lost the small amount they lost with 3DS. think about it! ;)

Nintendo shouldn't be afraid of copying smart business moves

I don't know, does a new model without actual upgrades, other than memory equal better sales?  Better sales overall and not just the few millions of size-non-content fans who said to themselves, "I would buy this if it were smaller".  With the DS and 3ds, there were major upgrades.  I mean, the DSfat was clunky and dark.  When the DS lite came along, it was bighter and fit into your pocket better.  As for the 3ds, the XL made it for the high-end consumers, which they made for that crowd

When I bought the PS3, it wasn't for the design, it was for the ps3.  There are some who absolutely didn't like the first grill design, but they bought it anyway. 

And as for the Wii, what grandiose redesign should they implement?  Smaller?  More memory would be cool, but we're certainly not going to get that.  Sony and Microsoft needed theirs to be redesigned.  They were clunky eye sores. 

Low demand due to perfected hardware. Simple as that. No one would care for an even slimmer Wii system, improved built-in memory won't push sales a lot and the old systems won't break. The only significant way to boost sales on hardware, other than through price cuts, was/is through different colour options, and they have already done that.

Only collectors would buy a redesign.

Why would Nintendo want to start adopting "bad" practices?