By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't Nintendo redesign their home consoles?

The Wii didn't really need to be redesigned honestly. The N64 and Gamecube probably weren't successful enough to be worth investing in redesigns and instead, Nintendo focused on developing successors. And before then, I don't think redesigns were relevant much at all for home consoles. Depending on how how long the Wii U remains on the market, I think Nintendo could release a redesign or two.

I'm not really really sure why some here are so antagonistic towards redesigns. Redesigns can take up less physical space and are typically cheaper for both the consumer and manufacturer. And for some people, it's nice just to have a fresh overhaul of aesthetics which may have grown stale. The hostility towards redesigns just seems to be based on general hostility towards any practice that Nintendo doesn't do, with little consideration for if the practice is actually beneficial, or at least neutral.

Around the Network

Guess it won't change in the near future. I don't see they doing a new model of Wii U too. The console looks small enough, and light enough too.

We need moar Zelda, now!

We need moar Unchartedzz!

We need less DLCs.

Jay520 said:
The Wii didn't really need to be redesigned honestly. The N64 and Gamecube were probably so little successful that Nintendo didn't see it being worth it to invest in a redesign and instead just focused on later consoles. And before then, I don't think redesigns were really relevant to manufacturers. Depending on how how long the Wii U remains on the market, I think Nintendo could release a redesign or two.

I'm not really really sure why some people are so antagonistic towards redesigns in here. Redesign typically take up less space and are typically cheaper for both the consumers and manufacturer. And for some people, it's nice just to have a fresh overhaul of aesthetics which may have been growing stale. The hostility towards redesigns just seems to be based on general hostility towards any practice that Nintendo doesn't do, with little regard for if the practice actually beneficial or at least neutral.

I don't think their will be a redesing since the actual console is only slightly bigger then the tablet controller.  It looks like it will launch with 32nm chips, the next step in chip shrinkage is 22nm but they are not going to be significantly smaller to validate a redesign.  Maybe when 14nm chips become widely availabe and afordable sometime in 2015 their will be a redesign but I can't see a radical redesign they are probably only going to shave a few centimeters from the overall size of the console.  The only way I could see a radical redesign with the cosole being close to 1/3 smaller is if it comes with a small power brick in the future.

Nintendo just build them right to begin with.
All my Nintendo systems still work to this day except for one for my original NES.
I have had my original Xbox and PS3 fat both die on me.

OP is wrong.

NES and SNES both had redesigns after their successors launched.

N64 and GC failed to "win" their generation and thus no redesign.

Basically the two consoles that were going to have much longer post-gen lives got redesigned so they could continue to cut costs and therefore offer really low prices to ensure it remained highly profitable as sales declined over the following years.

The other two were cut off shortly after their successors launched as Nintendo knew there was no longer a market for them as it was basically gone at that point anyways.

While Wii will sell for a few more years, it has already had a redesign... i.e. loss of GC backwards compatibility (controller ports and internal hardware) and that's the only change it needs to keep costs very low for it to remain highly profitable for the next few years as it slowly dies off.

NES redesign: (launched October 1993, SNES launched November 1990)

SNES redesign: (launched October 1997, N64 launched June 1996)

Around the Network

While they did redesign the NES and SNES, those redesigns weren't highly publicized and were done towards the end of the life of those consoles. The redesigns weren't even on the market for that long, that being said, I think the reasons Nintendo never did the redesigns is because they never had to. Nintendo 64 and GameCube weren't around long enough to warrant a redesign and the Wii was so well designed from the beginning. Although, one could argue that the Wii did get a bigger redesign than N64 and GameCube (with the removal of GameCube support and accessory support).

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

FrancisNobleman said:
lilbroex said:
Roma said:
Nintendo should make a console as big as a grill and then make it smaller for people to have a reason to buy either a second one or for the first time since they can now fit it under the TV.

Why would Nintendo want to copy a insufficient setup. The lack of a need to redesign is a good thing. It means their consoles were done right from the beginning.

So that means every Nintendo portable was flawed ?

Redesigning a console doesn't imply it is a bad hardware set up. In many cases it is just for re-branding sake. To keep the same platform new and fresh.

Had the Playstation family never seen redesigns, they would've sold less than they did.

There's a very, very big difference in presentation between a home console and a handheld. A handheld is entirely about the physical appearance and feel of the console, so redesigns are an idea to expect. Home consoles are nearly forgotten - I only look at my 360 when I'm not playing it and double-checking that I turned it off, or when I'm changing discs. A redesign is completely unnecessary as far as physical appearance or feel are concerned. So far, every single redesign of the PS2, PS3, and 360 has been precisely to correct a bad hardware setup, and the 360 just took a facelift while they were at it because why not?

The original PS2 was bulky and ugly. Major hardware misstep. PS2 Slim was sleek, small, and attractive. Obvious "bad hardware setup" correction.

PS3 was even bulkier, and could be used in lieu of my furnace. First redesign cut back on heat output significantly and made it so people didn't have to attach a new wing to their homes to have one. Second redesign makes it even smaller, eliminating any real concerns with the size. Again, being way too big is absolutely a bad hardware design.

360 shouldn't need to be explained.

SW-5120-1900-6153