By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Study: Conservative women are hot, Liberals not so much

edit: had to change the thread title, even though it was in jest.

At least when it comes to female politicians, perhaps you can judge a book by its cover, suggest two UCLA researchers who looked at facial features and political stances in the U.S. House of Representatives.

"Female politicians with stereotypically feminine facial features are more likely to be Republican than Democrat, and the correlation increases the more conservative the lawmaker's voting record," said lead author Colleen M. Carpinella, a UCLA graduate student in psychology.

The researchers also found the opposite to be true: Female politicians with less stereotypically feminine facial features were more likely to be Democrats, and the more liberal their voting record, the greater the distance the politician's appearance strayed from stereotypical gender norms.
In fact, the relationship is so strong that politically uninformed undergraduates were able to determine the political affiliation of the representatives with an overall accuracy rate that exceeded chance, and the accuracy of those predications increased in direct relation to the lawmaker's proximity to feminine norms.

"I suppose we could call it the 'Michele Bachmann effect,'" said Kerri Johnson, the study's senior author and an assistant professor of communication studies and psychology at UCLA.

The findings are forthcoming online in the peer-reviewed Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.

The work was inspired by prior research that has shown that Americans have a better-than-chance ability to determine whether someone is a Democrat or a Republican on the basis of appearance alone. The mechanism behind these judgments, however, is not well understood.

"At least when it comes to female politicians, assessing how much a face reflects gender norms may be one way of guessing political affiliations," said Johnson.

Around the Network

Pics or it didn't happen

oops

Max King of the Wild said:
Pics or it didn't happen

my title was more of an attention grabber than absolute fact.

note: i just found these pictures on the internet.

I approve of the authenticity of the thread title.

Around the Network

we all know what they say about hot babes. fuck them but don't hope they are good for something you need a brain for^^

I agree with my life real cases.

But there are exceptions.

wait. my last paragraph got edited out too. why? what was against the rules there?

I'm not really surprised by this ...

Look at Hollywood, while most of the famous celebrities are liberals the most outspoken and militant progressive women are the homeliest (Janeane Garofalo, Rosie O'Donnell, Whoopi Goldberg. etc.).

killerzX said:
wait. my last paragraph got edited out too. why? what was against the rules there?

That's in lieu of locking the thread and/or you getting moderated.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.