By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 7 incredible personal stories about Romney that you may not know

fordy said:

You didn't stop to think for a moment that the reason why Fox is singled out as biased is because they are the ones who willingly tweak the system based on a political agenda? In fact, it should be renamed to "The Republican free time no questions asked" channel. That is why Fox is always questioned as a valid news source, because they bring idiots with radical ideas on and never bother to question it. They just sit in the background and let these loons broadcast their bullshit over the airwaves.

You didnt stop to think that maybe Romney is copping more flak because he has shown more flaws than other candidates? Then you have the conservatives jumping up and down exclaiming "That's not fair! You need to equally abuse them". BULLSHIT! If Obama has weaknesses, let them be heard too, but I'm sick of hearing this same rhetoric from conservatives that they don't want to be questioned, or open to criticism. Then as soon as they're criticised, oh it MUST be liberal bias. For gods sake...

The media spends more time on whether or not Romney shaved a kid's head in high school or whether or not his response to the Benghazi incident was jumping the gun (while utterly ignoring the Obama administration's horrible response to and, now we know, outright deception about the attack) or whether or not he really believes airplane windows should open than they do shining a critical spotlight on any of Obama's gaffes ("you didn't build that", "the private sector is doing fine", "Egypt is not our ally", and most recently kicking off his campaign for the Presidency of Iran with his line that "the future should not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam") or even his policies. Including many of the same policies for which they'd previously upbraided the Bush administration, even now that Obama has put those policies on steroids.

It isn't even necessarily a left vs. right thing. As I said, one needs look no further than the Democratic primary in '08 where the media viciously turned on Hillary Clinton (and Bill, and Geraldine Ferrarro) in a way I'd never have believed possible. The media likes what the media likes, and they slant their coverage accordingly.

But no, I don't believe that Fox News is the end all, be all, alpha and omega of bad journalism. I don't even think they're close to the worst as long as MSNBC is in town. I also don't think they're more biased than the revered New York Times, and their journalism is nowhere as shoddy as it was when they were carrying water for the Bush administration all the time. In a world where CBS runs with fake memos and NBC edits George Zimmerman's 911 call and ABC immediately links the Dark Knight Rises shootings to the Tea Party, Fox News doesn't even strike me as particularly egregious anymore.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

But "support our troops" was a hollow catchphrase back then that really just meant "support the war." The current doctrine is actually doing something to help veterans.

I'm sure our men in uniform are tickled pink about being stuck in Afghanistan indefinitely without any sort of a plan so they can be shot by Afghani policemen and soliders and teaboys at their leisure. Support our troops, herp derp!

badgenome said:
fordy said:

You didn't stop to think for a moment that the reason why Fox is singled out as biased is because they are the ones who willingly tweak the system based on a political agenda? In fact, it should be renamed to "The Republican free time no questions asked" channel. That is why Fox is always questioned as a valid news source, because they bring idiots with radical ideas on and never bother to question it. They just sit in the background and let these loons broadcast their bullshit over the airwaves.

You didnt stop to think that maybe Romney is copping more flak because he has shown more flaws than other candidates? Then you have the conservatives jumping up and down exclaiming "That's not fair! You need to equally abuse them". BULLSHIT! If Obama has weaknesses, let them be heard too, but I'm sick of hearing this same rhetoric from conservatives that they don't want to be questioned, or open to criticism. Then as soon as they're criticised, oh it MUST be liberal bias. For gods sake...

The media spends more time on whether or not Romney shaved a kid's head in high school or whether or not his response to the Benghazi incident was jumping the gun (while utterly ignoring the Obama administration's horrible response to and, now we know, outright deception about the attack) or whether or not he really believes airplane windows should open than they do shining a critical spotlight on any of Obama's gaffes ("you didn't build that", "the private sector is doing fine", "Egypt is not our ally", and most recently kicking off his campaign for the Presidency of Iran with his line that "the future should not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam") or even his policies. Including many of the same policies for which they'd previously upbraided the Bush administration, even now that Obama has put those policies on steroids.

It isn't even necessarily a left vs. right thing. As I said, one needs look no further than the Democratic primary in '08 where the media viciously turned on Hillary Clinton (and Bill, and Geraldine Ferrarro) in a way I'd never have believed possible. The media likes what the media likes, and they slant their coverage accordingly.

But no, I don't believe that Fox News is the end all, be all, alpha and omega of bad journalism. I don't even think they're close to the worst as long as MSNBC is in town. I also don't think they're more biased than the revered New York Times, and their journalism is nowhere as shoddy as it was when they were carrying water for the Bush administration all the time. In a world where CBS runs with fake memos and NBC edits George Zimmerman's 911 call and ABC immediately links the Dark Knight Rises shootings to the Tea Party, Fox News doesn't even strike me as particularly egregious anymore.

I stopped reading after you mentioned the "you didn't build that" as a gaffe that Obama meant to say. It's obvious to me that you'd take any hit on Obama as totally legitimate, but any hit on Romney is an instant cry of foul. Any sane person who saw that speech IN FULL knows exactly what was being said, and I really think I'm just wasting my time having to argue why including this does not help your position one bit.

We're done here.

fordy said:

I stopped reading after you mentioned the "you didn't build that" as a gaffe that Obama meant to say. It's obvious to me that you'd take any hit on Obama as totally legitimate, but any hit on Romney is an instant cry of foul. Any sane person who saw that speech IN FULL knows exactly what was being said, and I really think I'm just waisting my time having to argue why including this does not help your position one bit.

We're done here.

I don't think the full speech helps him one bit. His tone was incredibly snide and condescending throughout, particularly the part in the wind up where he said, "You think you're so smart, you think you worked so hard..." What a slappable fuckstick.

Girl, don't go away mad. Girl, just go away. Ta.

badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

But "support our troops" was a hollow catchphrase back then that really just meant "support the war." The current doctrine is actually doing something to help veterans.

I'm sure our men in uniform are tickled pink about being stuck in Afghanistan indefinitely without any sort of a plan so they can be shot by Afghani policemen and soliders and teaboys at their leisure. Support our troops, herp derp!

It's clear that we're making a plan, but it would be stupid to actually announce it or commit to anything. It's amusing at all that the right is now talking "cut and run" when (as we've discussed before) six years ago that sort of talk would have had people proposing you be put on some sort of FBI watch list.

On "you didn't build that," that wasn't a gaffe. That's out-of-context spin.

And if his tone was condescending, it was only against this ass-arrogant attitude by wannabe Objectivists that they built their fortune all on their own and the social compact was a hurdle they had to overcome, rather than half the reason they got where they are.

If they did build that, i challenge them to build: a private infrastructure for internet from the ground up, private GPS satellite network, private roads (good luck on that), all stocked with private security and with people who only went to private school.

Indeed, world would be a better place if such people did go off and attempt Rapture.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
fordy said:

I stopped reading after you mentioned the "you didn't build that" as a gaffe that Obama meant to say. It's obvious to me that you'd take any hit on Obama as totally legitimate, but any hit on Romney is an instant cry of foul. Any sane person who saw that speech IN FULL knows exactly what was being said, and I really think I'm just waisting my time having to argue why including this does not help your position one bit.

We're done here.

I don't think the full speech helps him one bit. His tone was incredibly snide and condescending throughout, particularly the part in the wind up where he said, "You think you're so smart, you think you worked so hard..." What a slappable fuckstick.

Girl, don't go away mad. Girl, just go away. Ta.

One has to look no further for media bias than the death counter.  When Bush was in office, almost every news outlet had a death counter of the total number of troops that had died in Iraq.  Many would pull out one soldier a night and focus on his life before the war.  And when they reached another 1,000 it would be all you heard about.  Where are they now?  Gone, because it would look bad for Obama.  Especially if we focused on Afghanistan, where Obama has been in office for the majority of deaths there.  He's ramped up war spending, as well.

Which leads to another question.  Where are all the protestors of the war? The ones that the new featured almost every night?  I see it as being only 2 real answers.  Either they don't really give a shit about the war and only protested it because Bush was in office, or the media is so biased they aren't covering any protests because it would, again, make Obama look bad.  And I patiently await a Micheal Moore movie blasting the continuing wars. 

Mr Khan said:
badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

It's clear that we're making a plan, but it would be stupid to actually announce it or commit to anything. It's amusing at all that the right is now talking "cut and run" when (as we've discussed before) six years ago that sort of talk would have had people proposing you be put on some sort of FBI watch list.

And if his tone was condescending, it was only against this ass-arrogant attitude by wannabe Objectivists that they built their fortune all on their own and the social compact was a hurdle they had to overcome, rather than half the reason they got where they are.

If they did build that, i challenge them to build: a private infrastructure for internet from the ground up, private GPS satellite network, private roads (good luck on that), all stocked with private security and with people who only went to private school.

Indeed, world would be a better place if such people did go off and attempt Rapture.

Yea, let's do away with that evil top 10%.  The one who pays 71% of all federal taxes.  The country would be better off without that 71%.  More prosperous.  Those damn greedy rich people who pay the vast majority of the government's bills.

thismeintiel said:
Mr Khan said:
badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

Yea, let's do away with that evil top 10%.  The one who pays 71% of all federal taxes.  The country would be better off without that 71%.  More prosperous.  Those damn greedy rich people who pay the vast majority of the government's bills.

Not all of the rich, just the ones spouting all of this "let's get government out of the way" nonsense. Some of the wealthy have more sense.

thismeintiel said:

Which leads to another question.  Where are all the protestors of the war? The ones that the new featured almost every night?  I see it as being only 2 real answers.  Either they don't really give a shit about the war and only protested it because Bush was in office, or the media is so biased they aren't covering any protests because it would, again, make Obama look bad.  And I patiently await a Micheal Moore movie blasting the continuing wars. 

Mostly it's the former, with a bit of the latter. The few sincere hardcores like Code Pink went from being heroic rebelettes with a cause to... nonexistent, if you didn't know better. You can still catch them on YouTube, but these days media won't touch Medea. (lol c wat i did ther)

For my part, I really miss Franklin being taken wildly out of context and that one fabricated Jefferson quote about dissent being the highest form of patriotism. It was adorable to watch the left pretending to be skeptical of power when they didn't have any.

badgenome said:
thismeintiel said:

Mostly it's the former, with a bit of the latter. The few sincere hardcores like Code Pink went from being heroic rebelettes with a cause to... nonexistent, if you didn't know better. You can still catch them on YouTube, but these days media won't touch Medea. (lol c wat i did ther)

For my part, I really miss Franklin being taken wildly out of context and that one fabricated Jefferson quote about dissent being the highest form of patriotism. It was adorable to watch the left pretending to be skeptical of power when they didn't have any.

Equally cute to see the right pretend they give a damn about drone strikes or civilian collateral.