By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo should copy Sony

Tagged games:

Nintendo should

be more like Sony in gene... 35 19.55%

have at least one studio like Team Ico. 53 29.61%

not bother with the segment. 91 50.84%

Total:179

I couldn't care less if Nintendo made good game or not.

I still got my NES to enjoy their glory days.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
amp316 said:
After playing Metroid: Other M, I would prefer that Nintendo stay as far away from cinematic games as possible. Let them do what they're good at and Sony do what they're good at. When Sony tries to be Nintendo it doesn't work well either.

lohl. Amp, it's not because one game turned sour that it has to be that way. Imagine Nintendo had made SotC, you'd be saying something very different.

Also, OoT, MM, Prime, all the NES games I mentioned in OP, LttP, there is potential for Nintendo to work from, it's not like they aren't able to make more psychologically compelling experiences. Fudge I don't even know how to word what I have in mind. That thing that SotC has, and that OoT had dang it.

I understand what you're saying and respect it.  I was half joking, but I really do think that Nintendo is best when they're being Nintendo.  Of course, I'd like to see them try new things but I don't what them to stray from what they are great at.  They tried experimenting quite a bit during the Gamecube days and while many gamers love that system, I think that many of the worst games of their main franchises came out of these experiments. Remember the cutscenes in Super Mario Sunshine?  I wish that I didn't.  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:

I understand what you're saying and respect it.  I was half joking, but I really do think that Nintendo is best when they're being Nintendo.  Of course, I'd like to see them try new things but I don't what them to stray from what they are great at.  They tried experimenting quite a bit during the Gamecube days and while many gamers love that system, I think that many of the worst games of their main franchises came out of these experiments. Remember the cutscenes in Super Mario Sunshine?  I wish that I didn't.  

@bold. Don't make me barf. :P

Lol, honestly they need to hire professionals to help them better themselves. Even TP was lacking in its attempt at epic. If they were to try it, they'd have to be serious about it.

Pavolink said:
bananaking21 said:
how dare you say somebody makes better games than nintendo!!! just wait and see how people on this forum will tear you up for saying it! (even though its true)

What an awful and unfortunate first post.

happydolphin said:
AdventWolf said:
Well some people would say the same about Sony copying Nintendo, it depends on preference.

So, this is a cop-out. The reason is that Sony has already been trying to follow Nintendo's success with games like Little Big Planet (as different as it is from Nintendo games it sure is aiming a similar market), and then with games like LBP racing, the move, the eye pet and many more casual family-friendly experiences.

The opposite as described in OP is not true.

I'm looking for more depth than that AW.

For good (or bad) Nintendo is focusing in whatever they are good to do, rather than do everything, like Sony. For the genres or types of games they cannot do they want third parties in the console. For example, I don't think Nintendo will be able to do a kind of Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest as good as the originals. So instead of trying, they'll attract the third party and focus resources on the games they are good making.

As mentioned before, this could be a good or a bad decision. In the case of this thread, is bad.

I know what you mean but to be honest make Xenoblade a game with online multiplayer and I will gladly forget i ever knew Monster Hunter. I can exist without a game that forces me to see a loading screen 100x inside the same small area which is split into 100 smaller ones.  And seriously I dont need to take my knife out and skin a dinosaur or something just to get its "drop".     The battle system is a bit different yeah but  still I dont really see (besides the knife part and the multiplayer well and diving) how Monster Hunter has something  Xenoblade does not.

Everytime I play Xenoblade I cry because it has no multiplayer   (I also cry because Skyrim or Just Cause2 have no multiplayer but at least there are the MP mods but thats another story)

happydolphin said:
amp316 said:

@bold. Don't make me barf. :P

Lol, honestly they need to hire professionals to help them better themselves. Even TP was lacking in its attempt at epic. If they were to try it, they'd have to be serious about it.

Yeah, I'm not a big TP fan myself.  To me it was OoT except longer and more boring.

When you say that they need to hire professionals, do you mean something like maybe the guys that worked Xenoblade Chronicles helping out with Zelda?       

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

They should copy how to get good games. They should copy how to get good games from the PS3. Nah mean?

CLOSE TOPIC

LET'S GO KNICKS

Sal.Paradise said:
Mr Khan said:

Also in response to Jay's comment

I should have added that the pursuit of technical beauty for its own sake, or the idea that games are primarily vehicles for stories (which is not to say that i believe games can't tell stories, but the story should always be a by-product of how the game is played).

Another way of interpreting my use of "art" would be developers that pursue their personal vision.

Of course, even Nintendo sometimes veers off into "art" games (see Metroid: Other M), but the results usually shock them back into doing things properly.

So your issues are with 

1.the pursuit of technical beauty for its own sake

2.the idea that games are primarily vehicles for stories 

3.developers that pursue their personal vision.

Are you implying that Sony is concerned with nothing other than these three traits, as per your original comment? I realise you said quite ambiguously "one of the few high-end developers" but this is undoubtedly a thread about Sony and Nintendo so I assume that's why you posted it in the first place. I ask this because I think it's a comment easily dismissed by looking at their first party game library. 

Also may I ask why you would have an issue with the pursuit of "technical beauty" for its own sake? Unless you have some crazy outlier philosophy regarding beauty I'd like to hear about...why would you take issue with the pursuit of creating something beautiful? 

The core issue is when developers focus on games "they" want to make, rather than games that they should make. That's the long and short of it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

amp316 said:

Yeah, I'm not a big TP fan myself.  To me it was OoT except longer and more boring.

When you say that they need to hire professionals, do you mean something like maybe the guys that worked Xenoblade Chronicles helping out with Zelda?       

Or maybe ex-Sony employees from ND or Team Ico. To be honest I've never played XB. I know I should, but anyways I haven't. From what I saw it pulls from the world of fantasy. But have you played Shadow of the Colossus? It's incredible and goes beyond fantasy into the surreal.

@Pavo. I tried to get the link where Iwata said he wanted to offer older experiences (not more mature just more relevant to an older audience, deeper), but I couldn't find it.

I agree in the sense that Nintendo should follow Sony's policy of making partnerships with a wide variety of talented game developers, or buy them outright. This is how Sony became so versatile in a comparatively short time, I believe, along with a decent amount of trust and creative freedom given to each partner.
Thankfully, I think we're beginning to see Nintendo adopt such a strategy...

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I guess it all comes down to money. Many of us don't have enough to spend leisurely; hence, the desire to want a console that can do it all. I honestly like it the way it is now. Let each of these companies fight for their own niche. If you want shooter with the largest online competitive community, get an Xbox. If you want a cinematic experience with a hint of JRPGs get a PS3. If you want Grandpa to play with you, get a Wii. (Just kidding)

I respect Nintendo for it's success. I don't really like their games, but they seem to know how to please their base, and that's something I wish Sony would copy of them.