Tagged games:

Nintendo should

be more like Sony in gene... 35 19.55%

have at least one studio like Team Ico. 53 29.61%

not bother with the segment. 91 50.84%

Total:179
DanneSandin said:

I'm gonna start with a long, yet insightful quote by C S Lewis:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

So: don't worry acting like a kid (or in this case playing kids games).

But I see your point. I agree Nintendo could take a note from Sony in certain aspects. Making darker games (not neccesserily more "mature") would benifit Nintendo as it broadens their demographs. Imagine a more darker Nintendo game with all those awesome Nintendo game play and fun! They brushed some of this in Zelda TP really. The Lost Woods. That skull kid is/was a lost boy now wondering the woods looking for some one to play with. That's fucking dark. And the music made it all... even more... eerier.

But what Nintendo should learn from Sony is how to treat a great selling console at the end if it's lifespan! Sony's releasing NEW IP's at the end of the gen! Take note Nintendo!!! I wish Nintendo would risk putting out a more different game now and then, to test the waters. No need to NOT realese Mario or Zelda or what not. Now, honestly, releasing Wii Sports - and the whole Wii console - was a HUGE risk. Really.

I get what you're saying happy, and I agree somewhat =)

Glad to hear it :]

@Zelda TP, did you mean Majora's Mask? I think this was one of the best attempts at what I'm hinting at. I wonder has anybody played Another Code? I'm not sure if that falls into the kind of psychological/mystical category I'm talking about, or just cinematographic.

Around the Network

happydolphin, the sooner you realize that, you wrote this purely based on your state of mind, the sooner you'll understand that Nintendo should not copy Sony.

The only thing that maybe Nintendo should copy from Sony is to learn how to satisfy its fans by giving them more of the same (e.g. sequels).

happyD isn't saying that Nintendo should stop doing what they're doing. He's saying "do this as well". It's not that hard to understand. This gen Nintendo did Xenoblade "as well", next gen they're doing Bayonetta 2 "as well". And we love them for it!!

Do cinematic games as well Nintendo. If there were an Uncharted game for Wii/WiiU I'd so get it! As it is now I gotta get me a PS3 as well. And that's nothing I, as a Nintendo costumer, should do "as well";getting a 2nd console. Nintendo should give me these game experiences "as well" so that I might support the competition.

Yes, there is 3rd party games like this. The new Tomb Raider looks awesome! But is it coming for the WiiU? No! So that's ANOTHER reason for me to get PS3 "as well".

Folks, do you understand what we're saying?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Valdney said:

The only thing that maybe Nintendo should copy from Sony is to learn how to satisfy its fans by giving them more of the same (e.g. sequels).

Nintendo has already perfected that art.

happydolphin said:

And by that reasoning, that's why there's a dedicated segment to games like that, which are not like Xenoblade, and not like Mario, but just like SotC, UC and other more cinematic games that tap into the experience of the player (imho) that the two mentioned first (Mario and XB).

Ok. So let me understand. Now the point is why Nintendo doesn't try with at least one attemp to make a cinematic game for your segment, right? Or wrong?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

Pavo: Right!

DanneSandin said:
happyD isn't saying that Nintendo should stop doing what they're doing. He's saying "do this as well". It's not that hard to understand. This gen Nintendo did Xenoblade "as well", next gen they're doing Bayonetta 2 "as well". And we love them for it!!

Do cinematic games as well Nintendo. If there were an Uncharted game for Wii/WiiU I'd so get it! As it is now I gotta get me a PS3 as well. And that's nothing I, as a Nintendo costumer, should do "as well";getting a 2nd console. Nintendo should give me these game experiences "as well" so that I might support the competition.

Yes, there is 3rd party games like this. The new Tomb Raider looks awesome! But is it coming for the WiiU? No! So that's ANOTHER reason for me to get PS3 "as well".

Finally someone gets it!!

They are a manufacturer after all, they should cater to all segments.

Nintendo should copy Sony...
...and sell less consoles and portables. Great idea!

gigaSheik said:
Nintendo should copy Sony...
...and sell less consoles and portables. Great idea!

Last time I checked video game making came before money making. Some people wanted to actually entertain an audience you know. And of course make money too.

If these games can satisfy a business need by catering to an audience and increase Nintendo's portfolio, it not only makes creative sense, but also business sense since, if Nintendo offers it too, why buy another console?

Keep in mind, I'm saying that the Sony games give me an experience I rarely find on another console. Until Nintendo offers me that, I need to get a Sony console. Some people will not bother buying a Nintendo console also because of that.

happydolphin said:
DanneSandin said:

I'm gonna start with a long, yet insightful quote by C S Lewis:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

So: don't worry acting like a kid (or in this case playing kids games).

But I see your point. I agree Nintendo could take a note from Sony in certain aspects. Making darker games (not neccesserily more "mature") would benifit Nintendo as it broadens their demographs. Imagine a more darker Nintendo game with all those awesome Nintendo game play and fun! They brushed some of this in Zelda TP really. The Lost Woods. That skull kid is/was a lost boy now wondering the woods looking for some one to play with. That's fucking dark. And the music made it all... even more... eerier.

But what Nintendo should learn from Sony is how to treat a great selling console at the end if it's lifespan! Sony's releasing NEW IP's at the end of the gen! Take note Nintendo!!! I wish Nintendo would risk putting out a more different game now and then, to test the waters. No need to NOT realese Mario or Zelda or what not. Now, honestly, releasing Wii Sports - and the whole Wii console - was a HUGE risk. Really.

I get what you're saying happy, and I agree somewhat =)

Glad to hear it :]

@Zelda TP, did you mean Majora's Mask? I think this was one of the best attempts at what I'm hinting at. I wonder has anybody played Another Code? I'm not sure if that falls into the kind of psychological/mystical category I'm talking about, or just cinematographic.

No, I'm actually talking about Zelda TP. The lost boy isn't perhaps explained in THAT game though? I just remember from Zelda OoT the stories of kids wondering out in the woods, never to return and that's supposedly what the Skull Kids are; lost spirits of kids haunting the woods, looking for someone to play with.

Think about what I just wrote and then listen to this:

Whan I had this realization playing the game I got a damn lump in my throat.

happydolphin said:

Pavo: Right!

DanneSandin said:

Finally someone gets it!!

They are a manufacturer after all, they should cater to all segments.

You should copy that and put it in the OP so ppl gets it ;) or just give them a link to that this post cuz ppl ain't gonna read it elseway :P I got it as soon as I read it. HOWEVER, I don't understand what everyone else reads...