By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Next Gen" Launch Games

Sal.Paradise said:

So I'll play devils advocate and repost these, to show that clear graphical leaps are possible and very doable at the start of a generation. Anyone saying this leap isn't significant is flat out lying! (come at me d21lewis, come at me) 

Don't forget that these first HD 360 titles are of course rendering at a much higher resolution than their SD counterparts. I expect 'next gen' games to still be running mostly 720p, leaving more of that new power for graphical effects etc. 

Kameo when it was releasing on Xboxhuge:

Kameo on Xbox 360:

And offscreen:

Difference being Xbox - Xbox 360 was one of the largest leaps between gens.

WiiU is only, like, a 3x/4x jump.

Around the Network

Honestly, pound for pound the Wii U has one of the best overall launch lineups I've seen in quite some time. Even though it's missing that "killer app" system seller like Halo and Mario 64 were for their respective systems, with the launch lineup it currently has, any gamer should be more than satisfied if they were to pick up a Wii U.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Honestly, pound for pound the Wii U has one of the best overall launch lineups I've seen in quite some time. Even though it's missing that "killer app" system seller like Halo and Mario 64 were for their respective systems, with the launch lineup it currently has, any gamer should be more than satisfied if they were to pick up a Wii U.

dafuq...? NSMBU? It's gonna crush everything else. 2D Mario is the definition of system seller.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Sal.Paradise said:

That's... That's so hypnotic :-0

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

d21lewis said:
Busted said:
I liked Gun :3 -- Can you imagine how the Wii U F-Zero will look like? or the Metroid? Star Fox!? Zelda!?! *faints*

Yeah, I liked GUN a lot, too.  I even had it in my head that Red Dead Redemption was inferior to GUN......until I went back and played it.  It looked horrible!  And I still plan on buying Tony Hawk on the 360 one day.  I"d bought every one before it so I was a little burned out on the franchise but it turned out that we never got another game like the old PS2 games except for Wasteland.

The idea of what games will look like once developers really start pushing the Wii U makes my mouth water, too.  I just wanted to remind people how poorly "next gen" consoles often start things off.  But, with the Wii U using this gen's best games (Batman, Mass Effect) as a starting point, the future looks very bright from where I'm sitting.

American wasteland was pretty much the last classic tony hawk game, definately if you liked the ones on the ps2/gc/xbox get it.... unless you happen to have watched the rugrats a lot. The girl character who fangirls you throughout the whole bloody game is voiced by the same person who done susie carmichael from rugrats, and her voice is impossible to hear without picturing the baby just talking.

Great game tho, considering you can find it in 2nd hand stores for about 3-5euros now get itttttt.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn't strive to have people buy their games because of visuals. Its never mattered with them. The beginning of a console generation never boasts the consoles best looking titles, but with the next gens visuals which have been shown in Star Wars 1313, frostebite engine, Squares new engine, Foxengine and others Wii U will be getting dumbed down multiplats a couple years from now. A Nintendo HD is already a nice thought in my mind and I am happy just to have that. It doesn't have to beat the other consoles with that. Nintendo has always had my childhood.

NightDragon83 said:

*spits out drink all over the screen* The humanity! They give us the first Super Mario Bros. at launch day since 1990 and you... you... *gasp* 

Ok, deep breath now... phew... 

OT: It's pretty obvious the jump from PS3/360 to Wii U isn't as big as the jump from Xbox to Xbox360 was. We don't need to kid ourselves, the Wii U will be anywhere from 2x-3x as powerful as current gen consoles (minus the CPU apparently ) but it won't be a huge leap. Still, if it can show the same graphical improvements PS360 saw over their lifespan that would be damn fine. Think of Uncharted 3 at 1080p and 60fps with sharper textures and better lightning... sounds good enough to me. The difference between the Wii U and the other next gen consoles won't be as big this time. 

UncleScrooge said:
NightDragon83 said:

*spits out drink all over the screen* The humanity! They give us the first Super Mario Bros. at launch day since 1990 and you... you... *gasp* 

Ok, deep breath now... phew... 

OT: It's pretty obvious the jump from PS3/360 to Wii U isn't as big as the jump from Xbox to Xbox360 was. We don't need to kid ourselves, the Wii U will be anywhere from 2x-3x as powerful as current gen consoles (minus the CPU apparently ) but it won't be a huge leap. Still, if it can show the same graphical improvements PS360 saw over their lifespan that would be damn fine. Think of Uncharted 3 at 1080p and 60fps with sharper textures and better lightning... sounds good enough to me. The difference between the Wii U and the other next gen consoles won't be as big this time. 

By "killer app" I meant something completely groundbreaking and gamechanging that we have never seen before, the way Mario 64 was at the N64's launch (first ever fully 3D platform game with analog and camera controls) and the way Wii Sports was when the Wii launched (fully realized motion control gaming that, while simple in execution, was totally innovative and a blast for everyone at the same time)... game experiences that you could only get by buying their respective consoles.

NSMBU, while looking great,is still essentially the same rehashed gameplay and ideas from the other NSMB games, which themselves are rehashes of the original 2D Mario games.  Not exactly ground breaking, nothing you can't get on other consoles (see Rayman Origins), and nothing thats going to make any gamers other than the casuals and die hard Nintendo fanatics run out and buy a Wii U.

At this point a new 2D Mario game is like Disney putting out direct-to-video sequels to their classics.  They're a nice nostalgia trip for those who grew up with the originals, but beneath that there's not much substance to them.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Play4Fun said:
Sal.Paradise said:

So I'll play devils advocate and repost these, to show that clear graphical leaps are possible and very doable at the start of a generation. Anyone saying this leap isn't significant is flat out lying! (come at me d21lewis, come at me) 

Don't forget that these first HD 360 titles are of course rendering at a much higher resolution than their SD counterparts. I expect 'next gen' games to still be running mostly 720p, leaving more of that new power for graphical effects etc. 

Kameo when it was releasing on Xboxhuge:

Kameo on Xbox 360:

And offscreen:

Difference being Xbox - Xbox 360 was one of the largest leaps between gens.

WiiU is only, like, a 3x/4x jump.

from what console? wiiu is at least 7 or 8 times better than the wii.

From PS360 obviously.

d21lewis said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Link to the original, please.  I'm a fan of ping pong--aka the ultimate showcase of skill.

I'm assuming you've seen his link. I'm now going to blow your mind while subsequently making you laugh by telling you that the REAL name of one of those girls is "Park Soo Young."

Yup.