By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What defines a RPG?

Tagged games:

Mnementh said:
Torillian said:

oooo....someone actually cared enough to read it and discuss it with me. You're my new favorite forum poster, guy. much love. Now on to the discussion.

So you are the author of that article? It is somewhat confusing, as here you have a nick, but the article is signed with your name. Probably it would help, if the articles also include the nick.

Torillian said:

Well I disagree with you that Monster Hunter fits the bill under my definition. The most important part of the definition is that the character themselves have stats that can be changed over time, while in Monster Hunter the base character remains the same and it is only their equipment that changes.

The mechanics IS the same as experience points: you make some achievements (kill foes) to increase the abilities of your character. It is hard to differentiate between stats associated with the character itself and stats associated with something external. The effect on the gameplay is the same. The only difference I can make out is, that you can change a weapon or armor in monster hunter, while you usually cannot change your character stats. But that's not true for alle games, some allow relearning skills...

Torillian said:
The reason I think Tokyo Jungle would count as an RPG is that the stats of the character itself are changing from generation to generation which is separate from the equipment that you can get to improve their performance. It's a minor distinction but without it you get a lot of games that I don't think anyone would usually call RPGs leaking into the genre. Increasing a character's damage and health through equipment is fairly common in Action titles particularly, such as things like the recently released Darksiders 2.  

Yeah, that's why my definition is about the control the player has over the development of the abilities of your character(s). That's a main difference. In Zelda you always have the same items at the same point in the game. Yes, you can omit heart containers, but that has only low influence on the abilities, the other effects are stronger.

Torillian said:
As for your definition, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to try and poke holes into it. That's how I settled upon my definition was trying to find things that fit my definition but I didn't think they should or usually are thought of as RPGs. If the only requirement is that you have some control over how the character plays through your decisions throughout the game then I think you'd have to include a whole lot of action games like God of War where you gain red orbs by killing enemies and you can use those to upgrade different weapons dependent on what you prefer to use. To me this fits your definition but I personally would not think of God of War as an RPG.

I only played a little God of War (the first) and wasn't much impressed, so I never played really much of it. How much does this customization of weapons influence Kratos? Does he really gets different with weapon customization? Are there different paths for customizing the weapons, or only 'better'?

Torillian said:
 Feel free to poke holes in my definition as well, I'm already happy enough that you just read the article and gave it some thought, so you'd have to try really hard to hurt my feelings.

How do you think about Pandora's Tower? As said, it has experience points and levels, and the stats go up if you level up. But you really have no influence about it. If you play the game a second time, it is the same Aeron. Maybe you have not fought so much monsters in between, so you are a level short the second time you face a certain boss, but overall there is no real difference. Your definition makes it clearly an RPVG. My definition not. And it doesn't feel as one for me, as the control over the char is the in my opinion the main point in the pen&paper RPGs.

Also some pen&papers have no mechanic like experience points. But they are RPGs all the same. You create your character and sit at a table with friends and do crazy stuff. The XP-mechanic is common, but not the only way to develop the char.

I am indeed the article writer.  I apologize for the confusion but since gamrConnect and gamrReview are now separate entities it doesn't make a ton of sense for my forum nick to make an appearance on gamrReview.

You're right that the end result is the same whether you are getting increased stats or better equipment, and it's largely an arbitrary distinction, but I make it because it helps to define the genre in a way I find acceptable and doesn't include highly variant and off the wall games such as God of War.

To me player choice is secondary because it gets used in so many other genres.  Adventure games often have a large amount of player choice throughout so it would be difficult to make a distinction between something like Heavy Rain where your choices dictate which characters remain alive throughout the story and skyrim or Fallout since both have a lot of player choice in their gameplay mechanics.

It doesn't make a massive effect, no.  But that means you have to define between areas of grey like "which of these games has an acceptable amount of character development through the game to be an RPG, which is a situation I did my best to avoid.

Yes I'd call Pandora's Tower an RPG even though you don't have any choices throughout the leveling process.  I'd suggest that since you can craft and change your equipment that it fits your definition as well.  I realize that my definition for RPG doesn't work for the table top iterations but I'm only trying to define the term as it pertains to video games.  

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Player2 said:
Mnementh said:

Zelda Metroid is not so clear. Your character gets better with different items, as you can do more stuff. To get these items, you have to fullfill some objective. You can argue, that these items are no 'stat', that's true. So the definition may rule out Zelda Metroid-games, but it could be discussed.

"In this article the author Karl Koebke tries to give a definition, what a RPG is. Let's take a look. The definition he comes up is:

1.Main focus of the game must be (largely) persistent Player controlled characters with base stats that define their attributes and which can be increased over time, e.g. strength and agility.
2. There must be some means for the player to increase the base stats of these characters over time by completing objectives which is usually, but not always, called “experience”."

So Metroid isn't an RPG but Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and GTA: San Andreas are?

I don't remember GTA: San Andreas having any base stats, you leveled up your use of different weapons by using them, which is certainly RPG-like and has seen use in games like Oblivion, but since the character himself does not have base stats that determine his attributes and increase over the course of the game I wouldn't consider it an RPG.  I'd have to look into Dawn of Sorrow, but no Idon't consider Metroid to be an RPG, and I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone does.

I actually think a good argument can be made for San Andreas in that it can be played as an RPG. Weapons leveled via player actions but also muscle, fat and general fitness. I suppose the main difference is that you could constantly change these attributes (both increase and decreasing) throughout the game. Weapons not so much. And wouldn't the base stat be zero in this case?

This thread has been done, redone, reshaped and remade countless times and never ends with a "proper" conclusion as to what actually defines a RPG.

Personally, a RPG is defined by the narrative and characterization of the game's protagonists and story. If you have a game which revolves around a varied set of characters taking specific roles (be it pre-determined ones or that you can shape and mold) that's pivotal to the story's events and whose evolution is made via a set of stats/parameters that you can manipulate.

That being said, the RPG genre itself is pretty expansive and in it's current nowadays molds doesn't resemble it's D&D origins that much since most of it's elements are diluted and mixed with other genres. Which leads us to the sub-genre characterization, which is probably the most correct one to assume.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Scoobes said:
I suppose for me it's a game where the player has a great deal of control in how to improve your base character(s). I don't think it has to strictly be stat based (I still count Deus Ex Human Revolution as an FPS/RPG) but it shouldn't be solely tied to in-game progress and there should be multiple elements you can improve/develop as you progress. For instance, the hearts in Zelda are for the most part, a result of game progression, or the in original Metal gear Solid where your health increases after defeating each boss; I don't count either of these as RPGs. 

Yes, you get my point. If the character-development is dependent on the game-progress and the player has no choices, than I wouldn't count it as RPG.

Scoobes said:

However, I also feel that storytelling should play a bigger part in defining what makes an RPG. The ability to influence the storyline is usually associated with adventure games, but to me this also makes a significant portion of what an RPG should encompass; shaping your character not only in battle stats, but also in character/personality development. In games with a party system, this should include inter-party relationships.

Difficult part. I agree that at a table with a Pen&Paper the players influence the story strongly. Hell, they could decide that the princess shouldn't be rescued and help the dragon instead. But that is difficult on the computer. The computer/console is no human, it cannot come up with a new story to react to decision the player(s) make. Every story-path has to be programmed in advance. And no developer really wants to create 10 stories to put in one game, if in every playthrough you experience only one (hmm, such a game would be great, if I think about it). Yes, Bioware did that to some degree in Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age. You could influence some aspects of the story, although the main storyline was kept regardless of your actions.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Torillian said:
Player2 said:
Mnementh said:

Zelda Metroid is not so clear. Your character gets better with different items, as you can do more stuff. To get these items, you have to fullfill some objective. You can argue, that these items are no 'stat', that's true. So the definition may rule out Zelda Metroid-games, but it could be discussed.

"In this article the author Karl Koebke tries to give a definition, what a RPG is. Let's take a look. The definition he comes up is:

1.Main focus of the game must be (largely) persistent Player controlled characters with base stats that define their attributes and which can be increased over time, e.g. strength and agility.
2. There must be some means for the player to increase the base stats of these characters over time by completing objectives which is usually, but not always, called “experience”."

So Metroid isn't an RPG but Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and GTA: San Andreas are?

I don't remember GTA: San Andreas having any base stats, you leveled up your use of different weapons by using them, which is certainly RPG-like and has seen use in games like Oblivion, but since the character himself does not have base stats that determine his attributes and increase over the course of the game I wouldn't consider it an RPG.  I'd have to look into Dawn of Sorrow, but no Idon't consider Metroid to be an RPG, and I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone does.

Does this look RPG-ish enough for you?

I mentioned Metroid because many people believe that Super Metroid and 2D Castlevania after SotN belong to the same genre. And because it was funny that I could replace Zelda with Metroid and everything was still true xD

The base stats thing rule out plenty of Action RPGs like Light Crusader, The Story of Thor and Shining Wisdom.

In the GTA case, what Scoobes said. Max health and running can also increase with food and exercise. Do games need a character screen with numbers to be considered RPGs? Or starting values for stats have to be different than zero?

Around the Network
neerdowell said:
I am largely in disagreement with just about everyone on this one. For me, an RPG is a "ROLE PLAYING GAME", which to me means assuming a PRE-DETERMINED ROLE, such as when an actor plays a role.

What most consider an RPG I consider more creating your own role, which I guess should be titled RCG - "ROLE CREATING GAME". This means that JRPGS to me are actually the true RPG's.

That is actually directly contrary to what RPGs are about. The Gamemaster never hands out characters to the players and determines how they develop it. The players play a role, yes. But in difference to acting they invent that character and script the character themself. Try play a Pen&Paper, you will see what I talk about. And the videogame-RPGs are descending from Pen&Paper. Mostly did descend from D&D, the influences are very good to see, with levels, classes and whatnot.

With JRPGs you probably mean FF and not Pokemon. That has other roots. The companies Square, Enix and Nihon Falcom started with Visual Novels, that are game that tell a story, with no or near to no interaction at all. Modern games are more about cinematics, so they could be called interactive movies.

JRPGs like FF are not a good way to define RPGs. They are definitely late to the party, the genre already was created, first by pen&paper (1974 was the first D&D released). Then followed fast first 'western' RPGs for computers, 1975 and 1976 already started pedit5, Dungeon and Dnd. 1980 was Rogue released, a game that was so popular that it spawned it's own sub-genre: rogue-like. The first MUD (online RPG) started 1978 and also created a big subgrenre of hundreds of games. The very influental games Wizardry and Ultima were released 1981. The first Dragon Quest released 1986, the first Final Fantasy 1987. At this point existed already hundreds of RPGs.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

adriane23 said:
Mnementh said:
adriane23 said:
For me, any game where the main character (be it created by the player, or created by the developer) can increase their base stats is an RPG to me. Final Fantasy is an RPG, Mass Effect is an RPG, etc. The gameplay (Hack/slash, Turn-based, shooter) of the game don't really factor in to me.

Is it important for you, if the game makes the decisions about the development of the character or the player? Because that is the main difference between the definitions of Torillian and me.

A few years ago, I would've said that the game making the decisions for development were the most important to me. This was mainly due to me being very indecisive when it comes to make choices in games and due to RPG's being better story-wise when the development is out of the player's hands. I was completely content with playing an RPG, leveling up and getting some predetermined stat boost or new ability.

AFter playing games like Dragon Age: Origins, Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and Kingdoms of Amalur, I'm more or less 50/50. Both types of development fit my criteria of what an RPG is.

Yes, if the game makes the decision for you, it is an action adventure for me. Pandora's Tower has experience points and levelups, stats that increase, but as you play every time the same guy you play the game, it is no RPG for me.

Mnementh said:
adriane23 said:
Mnementh said:
adriane23 said:
For me, any game where the main character (be it created by the player, or created by the developer) can increase their base stats is an RPG to me. Final Fantasy is an RPG, Mass Effect is an RPG, etc. The gameplay (Hack/slash, Turn-based, shooter) of the game don't really factor in to me.

Is it important for you, if the game makes the decisions about the development of the character or the player? Because that is the main difference between the definitions of Torillian and me.

A few years ago, I would've said that the game making the decisions for development were the most important to me. This was mainly due to me being very indecisive when it comes to make choices in games and due to RPG's being better story-wise when the development is out of the player's hands. I was completely content with playing an RPG, leveling up and getting some predetermined stat boost or new ability.

AFter playing games like Dragon Age: Origins, Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and Kingdoms of Amalur, I'm more or less 50/50. Both types of development fit my criteria of what an RPG is.

Yes, if the game makes the decision for you, it is an action adventure for me. Pandora's Tower has experience points and levelups, stats that increase, but as you play every time the same guy you play the game, it is no RPG for me.

What about games with random stat increases when leveling up?

Edit - And games that allow you to choose between different party members? You can play the game differently even if each character is always the same.

Torillian said:
I am indeed the article writer.  I apologize for the confusion but since gamrConnect and gamrReview are now separate entities it doesn't make a ton of sense for my forum nick to make an appearance on gamrReview.

I was only somewhat irritated for a moment, that someone claimed to have written the article. Yes, it makes sense, but if you don't know that this nick and this name are the same person, it can be confusing at first.

Torillian said: 

You're right that the end result is the same whether you are getting increased stats or better equipment, and it's largely an arbitrary distinction, but I make it because it helps to define the genre in a way I find acceptable and doesn't include highly variant and off the wall games such as God of War.

Hmm, Metroid was mentioned in the thread. Samus get's better items through the game. That doesn't fit your definition. If Metroid is not SF but Fantasy instead, Samus is a sorceress and instead of weapons to fire different shots and items like a grappling hook she has spells, that do the same. Anything else: gameplay, story and so on are unchanged. Would you call it a RPG then? Because the character develops (new spells) and in difference to weapons it is no equipment but part of the character. It seems in that case it would fit your definition. But it would basically be the same game.

Torillian said: 

To me player choice is secondary because it gets used in so many other genres.  Adventure games often have a large amount of player choice throughout so it would be difficult to make a distinction between something like Heavy Rain where your choices dictate which characters remain alive throughout the story and skyrim or Fallout since both have a lot of player choice in their gameplay mechanics.

Player choice for character development. I don't know Heavy Rain, but heard that it allows for slightly different stories based on your choices. (I really should try out that game sometime.) But as far as I know, your character doesn't develop. Skyrim and Fallout have character development and that is influenced by players choices.

And normal adventure games (Heavy Rain aside) usually don't have player choices. You usually have to find the trigger to let the story advance. But regardless what you do, the story will stay the same the second playthrough. So it is not really a player choice.

Torillian said: 

It doesn't make a massive effect, no.  But that means you have to define between areas of grey like "which of these games has an acceptable amount of character development through the game to be an RPG, which is a situation I did my best to avoid.

Yes, but there will be always grey areas, that is unavoidable.

Torillian said:

Yes I'd call Pandora's Tower an RPG even though you don't have any choices throughout the leveling process.  I'd suggest that since you can craft and change your equipment that it fits your definition as well.  I realize that my definition for RPG doesn't work for the table top iterations but I'm only trying to define the term as it pertains to video games.

Yes, I'm aware of the weapon crafting. But you have a very limited number of weapons, that you get based on the progress of the game. The increase in weapon stats has only one way: better. That is not really a choice. It will not be much different on your second playthrough. And the customization through weapons is not big compared with the development of the character-stats, and these developments are games-choice.

It is not entirely about stat growth; because a good number of games which are clearly not RPGs have experience and star growth - including many fighting and sports games (like MMA games).

The term RPG was popularized in Japan long before it was popularized in the west - games like "dungeons and dragons" were called "RPGs" almost exclusively in Japan, but were popularly referred to as "pen and paper games" in the west. Role playing games in the west referered largely to psychological exercises in the west. Videogames that resembled pen and paper games would be which we commonly referred to as quest or adventure games in the west; RPG is not used in our magazines for these games. In Japan they were called "RPGs". That eventually spread over here too once games like Final Fantasy titles became popular. Terms like "JRPG" and "WRPG" were only created in the last decade or so, as they didn't appear anywhere until after the launch of Starwars Knights of the Old Republic. Common usage of the term "RPG" in the west was largely limited to describe turn-based RPGs like Final Fantasy, until people decided they wanted to call action games with similar traits RPGs too; and some even wanted to call Ocarina of Time an RPG.

Anyway, for an RPG - you can make an argument for almost every game to be an RPG nowadays - so there are some boundaries that should be noted: the gameplay emphasis should largely be based on the stats and not action elements; a turn based game which uses RPG element is is always an RPG; because the RPG elements fully determine the outcome. An action based game which uses RPG elements might not necessarily be one; For example, an MMA title with experience and stat progression still has the emphasis of success on action based skill - and not on the stat progression - is not an RPG. A game like secret of Mana where action is part of it, but your stats are more important to the outcome would make Secret of Mana an RPG...

On the other hand, this would exclude Terranigma which is clearly much more based in skill - and I am fine with that because Terranigma has much more in common with the game it is a sequel of (Illusion of Time) which is clearly an action adventure with a story. Although, despite having no experience points, and less of an inventory system than Legend of Zelda Link to the Past and higher, Illusion of Time is often called an RPG - but in reality, Illusion of Time and Terranigma are action adventures.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.