By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What defines a RPG?

Tagged games:

Great topic.

I think there is a lot of disagreement over this subject. Here's my own definition, for what it's worth.

An RPG is a game that features 1) a set of tangible, appreciable statistics that directly correspond to intangible qualities like strength, charisma, and wisdom, 2) the ability to modify those statistics by earning experience points by defeating enemies and completing quests, and 3) the electronic simulation of die-rolling mechanics from pen-and-paper RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons to determine success and failure.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
This thread has been done, redone, reshaped and remade countless times and never ends with a "proper" conclusion as to what actually defines a RPG.

Personally, a RPG is defined by the narrative and characterization of the game's protagonists and story. If you have a game which revolves around a varied set of characters taking specific roles (be it pre-determined ones or that you can shape and mold) that's pivotal to the story's events and whose evolution is made via a set of stats/parameters that you can manipulate.

That being said, the RPG genre itself is pretty expansive and in it's current nowadays molds doesn't resemble it's D&D origins that much since most of it's elements are diluted and mixed with other genres. Which leads us to the sub-genre characterization, which is probably the most correct one to assume.

You are right, that genre is very diverse and people have very different opinions about it. But as I play Pen&Paper too, including D&D, I have some problems with people including games that have no player-choices in character-development into the genre.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Player2 said:

What about games with random stat increases when leveling up?

Edit - And games that allow you to choose between different party members? You can play the game differently even if each character is always the same.

That would both also exclude the player in the character-development.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Player2 said:

What about games with random stat increases when leveling up?

Edit - And games that allow you to choose between different party members? You can play the game differently even if each character is always the same.

That would both also exclude the player in the character-development.

There you have it, Suikoden II is a turn-based action adventure non-RPG game then.

cloud1161 said:
I always thought RPG's were strictly what we call JRPG's today. And games such as Diablo or Baldur's Gate or the like were action/adventure. I never thought it had anything to do with the development of the character(s) but determined by the game's battle system. It wasn't until I started actually reading gaming articles that I learned what the proper genres of games. Still, I try not to categorize so much because it is all about whether the game is fun or not.

Sorry, I nearly fell of my chair. Baldur's Gate is prime example of what true CRPG based on pen&paper RPG ancestry (which are origin of all RPGs) is. Glad you got more info on game genres. ;)

Around the Network

Okay, I've messed enough with people's minds.

There is not a thing that defines a videogame as a RPG.

What exists is a compendium of "traits" that people perceive as "RPG elements". Stats, character developement, the narrative that Khuutra mentioned and more. Not everyone agrees about all of those elements being RPG-ish, which is a bad start. To make things even worse, the presence of all of them isn't required for a game to be considered a RPG.

There are plenty of games that have RPG elements, and not all of them are RPGs. We can't deny that Devil may Cry have RPG elements. HP and "MP" upgrades, being able to choose which attacks to learn, etc. When we consider a game is a RPG, then?

When the RPG elements present in a game stand out more than everything else. And this is subjective. This is why Castlevania DoS is a 2D action adventure plataformer, but people may argue about it being a RPG. It depends on where people put he bar.

Player2 said:

Okay, I've messed enough with people's minds.

There is not a thing that defines a videogame as a RPG.

What exists is a compendium of "traits" that people perceive as "RPG elements". Stats, character developement, the narrative that Khuutra mentioned and more. Not everyone agrees about all of those elements being RPG-ish, which is a bad start. To make things even worse, the presence of all of them isn't required for a game to be considered a RPG.

There are plenty of games that have RPG elements, and not all of them are RPGs. We can't deny that Devil may Cry have RPG elements. HP and "MP" upgrades, being able to choose which attacks to learn, etc. When we consider a game is a RPG, then?

When the RPG elements present in a game stand out more than everything else. And this is subjective. This is why Castlevania DoS is a 2D action adventure plataformer, but people may argue about it being a RPG. It depends on where people put he bar.

I agree with your statement; and as a simple definition to add - it would be the dominance of RPG traits in the game over other gameplay elements.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

A story driven game that offers a non linear experience where the player can customize and improve their character over the course of the game as well as make choices on how the game progresses.

Mnementh said:
Scoobes said:
I suppose for me it's a game where the player has a great deal of control in how to improve your base character(s). I don't think it has to strictly be stat based (I still count Deus Ex Human Revolution as an FPS/RPG) but it shouldn't be solely tied to in-game progress and there should be multiple elements you can improve/develop as you progress. For instance, the hearts in Zelda are for the most part, a result of game progression, or the in original Metal gear Solid where your health increases after defeating each boss; I don't count either of these as RPGs. 

Yes, you get my point. If the character-development is dependent on the game-progress and the player has no choices, than I wouldn't count it as RPG.

Scoobes said:

However, I also feel that storytelling should play a bigger part in defining what makes an RPG. The ability to influence the storyline is usually associated with adventure games, but to me this also makes a significant portion of what an RPG should encompass; shaping your character not only in battle stats, but also in character/personality development. In games with a party system, this should include inter-party relationships.

Difficult part. I agree that at a table with a Pen&Paper the players influence the story strongly. Hell, they could decide that the princess shouldn't be rescued and help the dragon instead. But that is difficult on the computer. The computer/console is no human, it cannot come up with a new story to react to decision the player(s) make. Every story-path has to be programmed in advance. And no developer really wants to create 10 stories to put in one game, if in every playthrough you experience only one (hmm, such a game would be great, if I think about it). Yes, Bioware did that to some degree in Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age. You could influence some aspects of the story, although the main storyline was kept regardless of your actions.

Very difficult to do in video games which is why I'm usually pleased when a developer has managed to incorporate it with any modicum of skill. Dragon Age Origins is really the main example as you had 6 different character storylines depending on the origins of your character. This directly effected some of my choices later in the game as I would think "If that happened to me, how would I respond?". That's pretty much the best we can hope at this stage.

As you said, it's very difficult to do as no AI has been able to accurately put together a storyline based on player actions. AI seems to have progressed so slowly compared to graphics it seems decades away before we'll have anything close to resembling an AI capable of this story developing feat.

In some ways, the Bethesda games have managed to incorporate the feeling of personal story through sheer freedom. Although the story remains the same for all quests, the intricacies are largely determined by player choice. This essentially ends up as a "what order to do the quests and what to do between them" rather then actual story development although the player experience is somewhat personalised.

Corey said:
A story driven game that offers a non linear experience where the player can customize and improve their character over the course of the game as well as make choices on how the game progresses.

That definition includes all MMA and pro-wrestling games for the past 10 years. In fact, it includes MMA and Pro-wrestling games more so than most actual RPGs.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.