By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple maps is terrible.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
iOS6 plain out sucks. No real improvements in anything and the Maps app has proven to be a disaster the world over. Not as much in US, but in rest of world its beyond bad.

However, Google will have a normal app for maps and probably navigation soon. Still sad people don't realize that Apple kept Google from putting its awesome navigation on iPhone years ago. I've always had perfect turn by turn navigation on Android since I started back in 2009.

Apple kept Google from adding navigation? I heard it was the other way around. Link, please.

PS. Maps is hardly a "disaster". It launched three days ago and much of the information is going to be user-sourced. Shit, the iPhone 5 just launched yesterday. Big projects often come with big bugs. If this is still a problem six months down the road, then Apple has a serious issue on their hands but when a company is launching a massive project that consists largely of user-sourced information, they need USERS to iron out the bugs and make the system work. And those USERS are going to need to spend a few months telling Apple where they've screwed up and they'll start farming data to change locations, names, addresses, etc. in the Maps application. I predict that in a year, no one is even going to care about this supposed "disaster". How do you think Google Maps became so refined? By Google hiring people to walk around and knock on doors? No, it's been millions of users sending them data over the past 8-10 years. Give Apple more than 72 freakin' hours to catch up.

edit: After searching around, I've only found speculation about the lack of navigation in Maps but all evidence points toward Google blocking the feature, not Apple. Google does not release API information for navigation in Maps. That would make it virtually impossible for Apple to add navigation without dropping Google Maps entirely. Unless you have evidence that Google (out of the goodness of their heart) created a Maps application with navigation and Apple blocked it from releasing in the App Store, I'm going to have to call bullshit on your statement.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

This is ridiculous, I'm glad I switched to Android since last year.

rocketpig said:
superchunk said:
iOS6 plain out sucks. No real improvements in anything and the Maps app has proven to be a disaster the world over. Not as much in US, but in rest of world its beyond bad.

However, Google will have a normal app for maps and probably navigation soon. Still sad people don't realize that Apple kept Google from putting its awesome navigation on iPhone years ago. I've always had perfect turn by turn navigation on Android since I started back in 2009.

Apple kept Google from adding navigation? I heard it was the other way around. Link, please.

PS. Maps is hardly a "disaster". It launched three days ago and much of the information is going to be user-sourced. Shit, the iPhone 5 just launched yesterday. Big projects often come with big bugs. If this is still a problem six months down the road, then Apple has a serious issue on their hands but when a company is launching a massive project that consists largely of user-sourced information, they need USERS to iron out the bugs and make the system work. And those USERS are going to need to spend a few months telling Apple where they've screwed up and they'll start farming data to change locations, names, addresses, etc. in the Maps application. I predict that in a year, no one is even going to care about this supposed "disaster". How do you think Google Maps became so refined? By Google hiring people to walk around and knock on doors? No, it's been millions of users sending them data over the past 8-10 years. Give Apple more than 72 freakin' hours to catch up.

edit: After searching around, I've only found speculation about the lack of navigation in Maps but all evidence points toward Google blocking the feature, not Apple. Google does not release API information for navigation in Maps. That would make it virtually impossible for Apple to add navigation without dropping Google Maps entirely. Unless you have evidence that Google (out of the goodness of their heart) created a Maps application with navigation and Apple blocked it from releasing in the App Store, I'm going to have to call bullshit on your statement.

Given that there are a host of map apps (Tomtom, Navigon, MotionX, and Waze, just off the top of my head) which have been in the App Store for years and offer navigation, it seems pretty unlikely that Apple could justify blocking one just because Google made it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

rocketpig said:
superchunk said:

That's not much of an excuse. The point is they had a decent map app and they've replaced it with an inferior product. Whichever way you look at it, it's bad, especially considering Apple's reputation of releasing superior products when this is obviously inferior to the competition. If anyone regularly used the maps app on iOS5 and has recently upgraded, they're essentially screwed for a few months whilst Apple play catch up with user data; data they should have gathered themselves or at least in a user beta test.

Around the Network

It seems apple wants their products independent from other companies software. they want to make their own shit. I dont know what they are planning and what benefit will the company have, but must they make the users suffer?

Now that Jobs is dead, taking his mythical RDF with him, Apple users could just stop buying iWhatevers as soon as they are released, and start buying them when they are mature enough. Problem solved.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Scoobes said:

That's not much of an excuse. The point is they had a decent map app and they've replaced it with an inferior product. Whichever way you look at it, it's bad, especially considering Apple's reputation of releasing superior products when this is obviously inferior to the competition. If anyone regularly used the maps app on iOS5 and has recently upgraded, they're essentially screwed for a few months whilst Apple play catch up with user data; data they should have gathered themselves or at least in a user beta test.

I don't see how you think that's not much of an excuse. User-sourced data requires users. That's all there is to it.

And A LOT of this is being overblown. I've been using the app for a few days now and it hasn't led me wrong yet. If 1 out of 100 (or even 1,000) searches is screwed up, most people aren't even going to notice a problem. The Internet has a habit of taking shit like this and blowing it wayyyyyy out of proportion.

Is this a good situation? Absolutely not. It's an ugly situation that is happening because two companies can't get along with one another. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's going to matter in the long run. Apple will go their own direction with a Maps application that has the bugs ironed out of it (with navigation and whatnot) and Google will continue plodding along with their own software. At the end of the day, I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is "Am I happier with *temporarily* buggy software WITH navigation or was I happier with bug-free software WITHOUT navigation?" Either answer can be the right one depending on perspective.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Scoobes said:

I don't see how you think that's not much of an excuse. User-sourced data requires users. That's all there is to it.

And A LOT of this is being overblown. I've been using the app for a few days now and it hasn't led me wrong yet. If 1 out of 100 (or even 1,000) searches is screwed up, most people aren't even going to notice a problem. The Internet has a habit of taking shit like this and blowing it wayyyyyy out of proportion.

Remember the antenna FUD? I can't believe I almost believed that shit...

rocketpig said:
Scoobes said:

Is this a good situation? Absolutely not. It's an ugly situation that is happening because two companies can't get along with one another. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's going to matter in the long run. Apple will go their own direction with a Maps application that has the bugs ironed out of it (with navigation and whatnot) and Google will continue plodding along with their own software. At the end of the day, I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is "Am I happier with *temporarily* buggy software WITH navigation or was I happier with bug-free software WITHOUT navigation?" Either answer can be the right one depending on perspective.

This is a maps app for crying out loud. People use it because they NEED help to get somewhere. Not the other way around. Apple had Siri as an independent app in beta before they baked it into the OS. If they needed the data, they should have had this as an independent app in beta as well from last year. They made a blunder in their business/political decision making and they are paying for it.