By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple maps is terrible.

selnor said:
dahuman said:
selnor said:
dahuman said:
selnor said:
rocketpig said:
dahuman said:

You really like to bring up your WP7.5 a lot Selnor, the problem with Windows Phone isn't it's functionality, it's how stupid ugly the Windows 8 UI is. 9 out of 10 people asking me for advices on Smart Phones say they've also checked out Windows Phones and think the GUI is just fugly and I agree with them, that's the problem. I don't want to walk around on a street using it because it's just straight up embarrassing. They really need to come up with a better looking UI, like now.

I think the UI is beautiful. Simplicity at its finest without the bullshit scheuomorphic designs Apple is producing nowadays (iCal's "desk calendar", Notes' "legal paper", Contacts' "Black Book", etc.).

As odd as it is to say this, MS is actually ahead of the curve with their UI. Better than iOS and definitely better than Android.

I have to agree with RP.

Microsoft hit the nail for UI. Unfortunately the first stab at Metro was almost there. Windows Pone 8 is what it should have been. I think WP8 now looks truly awesome with all the customisation and extra room used on the home screen.

Once again, it's not about how good the feature is, it's about how ugly it is to the general public, if you can't even convince most consumers that it looks awesome rather that they'll get used to it eventually, then how are they going to compete in the world of already established brand names? iOS is clearly the looser in the features department vs the newest Android or WP, yet they have no problem selling a ton of iPhones on every release.

That has nothing to do with aesthetics. Its just a case of better the devil you now than the devil you dont. I suspect Windows 8 ( wich will likely sell over 1 billion copies in 6 months as Windows 7 did ) will play a huge in familiarising people with WP8.

The UI looks visually fantastic anyway. Especially when ( and now they are ) developers make the tiles alive with images, uodates etc. Its not just a sea of orange tiles for example like people usd to think in its first 2 weeks on sales.

Windows 8 most likely won't get the same sales that Windows 7 did unless you count bundles and cross platform devices from OEM, Windows 7 came out after the piece of shit Vista that nobody wanted and by then Windows XP was very old and no longer really supported at consumer level, it was the OS that actually worked. You think the UI looks fantastic because you love almost everything MS whlie I'm a lot more judge critical on all aspects of any tech company being the primary difference since I'm in the IT field and understand the market of the masses.

The truth of the matter of the past, the now and the future where IT has been moving for awhile now has been pretty simple for years now actually, Google is a bastard company that comes in, and destroys everybody else in the playing field given enough time, and for as long as their company doesn't change their ways, the big software companies or internet providers won't be able to compete with them in the future, that's why MS is so desperate to come out with a more closed system like Windows 8 to try to secure their revenue, what they have failed to realize is that Linux distributions are getting better and better at a faster rate than any MS OS ever evolved at, giving consumers less freedom on the PC front will slowly drive them away. MS and Apple are both in danger in the long run, and they have not secured the most important piece of the pie and way late while google basically owns the internet and some of the best engineers in the business.

Noone has a crystal ball. So I wont coment on future future.

But Id put significant money on Windows 8 selling well over 1 billion as Windows 7 is way beyond that now.

Bundling is exactly how Windows has always sold. Walk into any PC place in the UK and every PC is sold with Windows. With a small 3 or 4 Macs in the corner. Linux isnt anywhere and Android doesnt exist there. The tablet section probably has Android and Ipad, but I bet over the next year Surface and other Windows 8 tablets are everywhere in PC stores.

Even Vista did over 1 billion.

Why would a PC place carry a ton of Macs or anything Android which is usually on cell phones? o_O;;;; I'm pretty certain you aren't high since you got a wife and kids lol. Linux is free and easy to install, there is no need to actually bundle them although some configurations in the Asian markets and few American configrations have it as an option, you can literally just buy a PC with no OS and install Linux on it by popping in an USB drive or CD so of course you don't see a lot of those in stores lol.

Not to mention I never said Windows 8 won't sell over 1 billion, just that it won't sell as well as Win7 since Win7 is actually good :P

Around the Network
dahuman said:
selnor said:
dahuman said:
selnor said:
dahuman said:
selnor said:
rocketpig said:
dahuman said:

You really like to bring up your WP7.5 a lot Selnor, the problem with Windows Phone isn't it's functionality, it's how stupid ugly the Windows 8 UI is. 9 out of 10 people asking me for advices on Smart Phones say they've also checked out Windows Phones and think the GUI is just fugly and I agree with them, that's the problem. I don't want to walk around on a street using it because it's just straight up embarrassing. They really need to come up with a better looking UI, like now.

I think the UI is beautiful. Simplicity at its finest without the bullshit scheuomorphic designs Apple is producing nowadays (iCal's "desk calendar", Notes' "legal paper", Contacts' "Black Book", etc.).

As odd as it is to say this, MS is actually ahead of the curve with their UI. Better than iOS and definitely better than Android.

I have to agree with RP.

Microsoft hit the nail for UI. Unfortunately the first stab at Metro was almost there. Windows Pone 8 is what it should have been. I think WP8 now looks truly awesome with all the customisation and extra room used on the home screen.

Once again, it's not about how good the feature is, it's about how ugly it is to the general public, if you can't even convince most consumers that it looks awesome rather that they'll get used to it eventually, then how are they going to compete in the world of already established brand names? iOS is clearly the looser in the features department vs the newest Android or WP, yet they have no problem selling a ton of iPhones on every release.

That has nothing to do with aesthetics. Its just a case of better the devil you now than the devil you dont. I suspect Windows 8 ( wich will likely sell over 1 billion copies in 6 months as Windows 7 did ) will play a huge in familiarising people with WP8.

The UI looks visually fantastic anyway. Especially when ( and now they are ) developers make the tiles alive with images, uodates etc. Its not just a sea of orange tiles for example like people usd to think in its first 2 weeks on sales.

Windows 8 most likely won't get the same sales that Windows 7 did unless you count bundles and cross platform devices from OEM, Windows 7 came out after the piece of shit Vista that nobody wanted and by then Windows XP was very old and no longer really supported at consumer level, it was the OS that actually worked. You think the UI looks fantastic because you love almost everything MS whlie I'm a lot more judge critical on all aspects of any tech company being the primary difference since I'm in the IT field and understand the market of the masses.

The truth of the matter of the past, the now and the future where IT has been moving for awhile now has been pretty simple for years now actually, Google is a bastard company that comes in, and destroys everybody else in the playing field given enough time, and for as long as their company doesn't change their ways, the big software companies or internet providers won't be able to compete with them in the future, that's why MS is so desperate to come out with a more closed system like Windows 8 to try to secure their revenue, what they have failed to realize is that Linux distributions are getting better and better at a faster rate than any MS OS ever evolved at, giving consumers less freedom on the PC front will slowly drive them away. MS and Apple are both in danger in the long run, and they have not secured the most important piece of the pie and way late while google basically owns the internet and some of the best engineers in the business.

Noone has a crystal ball. So I wont coment on future future.

But Id put significant money on Windows 8 selling well over 1 billion as Windows 7 is way beyond that now.

Bundling is exactly how Windows has always sold. Walk into any PC place in the UK and every PC is sold with Windows. With a small 3 or 4 Macs in the corner. Linux isnt anywhere and Android doesnt exist there. The tablet section probably has Android and Ipad, but I bet over the next year Surface and other Windows 8 tablets are everywhere in PC stores.

Even Vista did over 1 billion.

Why would a PC place carry a ton of Macs or anything Android which is usually on cell phones? o_O;;;; I'm pretty certain you aren't high since you got a wife and kids lol. Linux is free and easy to install, there is no need to actually bundle them although some configurations in the Asian markets and few American configrations have it as an option, you can literally just buy a PC with no OS and install Linux on it by popping in an USB drive or CD so of course you don't see a lot of those in stores lol.

Not to mention I never said Windows 8 won't sell over 1 billion, just that it won't sell as well as Win7 since Win7 is actually good :P

In my country you either buy a mac at the very far and few between Apple shops or PC shops. We have eletrical shops like Comet, but noone really shops there as the prices are rediculous and they ave limited options. So its pretty normal to go to a PC shop for tablets of Droids or Macs.

How dare you say I cant smoke Ganja as Ive got a wifeand kids. Thats more reason to do so is it not. ;)

selnor said:

In my country you either buy a mac at the very far and few between Apple shops or PC shops. We have eletrical shops like Comet, but noone really shops there as the prices are rediculous and they ave limited options. So its pretty normal to go to a PC shop for tablets of Droids or Macs.

How dare you say I cant smoke Ganja as Ive got a wifeand kids. Thats more reason to do so is it not. ;)

Well, I'm just glad I live in the US where electronics are everywhere and cheaper lol. Though in my field, everybody wants to work for Google and I'm staying the hell away from the current MS, Bill Gates is somewhat a cool guy but Steve Ballmer is a pure fucking asshole.

dahuman said:
selnor said:

Well, I'm just glad I live in the US where electronics are everywhere and cheaper lol. Though in my field, everybody wants to work for Google and I'm staying the hell away from the current MS, Bill Gates is somewhat a cool guy but Steve Ballmer is a pure fucking asshole.

Absolutely, but I'd like to see him compete in "Dancing with the stars" anyway! 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!